PDA

View Full Version : Still contemplating a sawmill for hobby use- anyone here have a swing blade?

Todd Burch
03-20-2013, 7:53 AM
I've focused my attention on swing blade mills for the time being, but have not abandoned considerations for a band mill. I've looked at the Peterson and Lucas 10" models.

Anyone here run a swing blade, or been around one while it was being operated?

Comments? Critiques? Pros / Cons?

Todd

Jim Andrew
03-20-2013, 9:57 AM
Todd, before I bought a used Cooks band mill, I looked at all the brands I could find, and the only downside I could find to swing mills is the price. They are similar in price to a full hydraylic bandmill. You don't have your location posted, but there are several amish makers who have really low prices. One is the EZ boardwalk built in MO. Maybe you should look at used mills if you want to keep your investment down? TheTimberking 1600 is a hydrualic mill that goes fairly reasonable on resale. My neighbors bought one, it hadn't been used in some time, and they had to do a little work on it to get it to run. The Lucas mill is sold by Bailey's, order a catalog, they have chainsaws and supplies at very reasonable prices.

Curtis Horswill
03-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Last summer I was at an auction where they sold a Peterson WPF swing blade mill. They ran it for a demo and it seemed to cut nice. It sold for $10,000 at auction. I think that the swing blade mills would be great for quarter-sawing lumber. The only downside would be the price and it would be more difficult to cut wide boards with a swing-saw. I have not operated a bandmill or a swing mill so take my advice for what it is worth. I am however starting to build my own bandmill with the Linn Lumber plans.

Todd Burch
03-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks Jim and Curtis.

I certainly could get into a smaller (non-hydraulic) band mill for less than the "big" swing blade. The all manual LogMaster LM-1 I looked at last year was about $11K with a big motor upgrade, whereas the big Peterson WPF would be closer to $33K. I'm only looking at the big 10" swing blades, so I could get a larger than an 8X16 timber (the 8" swing blade max capacity).

I've only cut on a bandmill (had wood cut, not cut myself), but I was always onsite, off-loading, saying when to turn, etc. A bandmill can produce good lumber, but, overall, the lumber that I've ever had cut, and we're talking close to 4K board feet, all has had issues of some sort in parts of each batch. Inconsistent thickness mostly, which makes getting full 3/4" material out of 4/4 rough difficult, at best. Tapering too, either side to side or end to end has been the other common ailment.

I like the rigidity of the circular blade. I like the ability to get a lot of QS material without all the log handling a band mill requires.

While a band mill is less $, I have to figure the cost of log moving equipment into the band mill equation. Tack on another $10K for a used tractor with a band mill. With a swing blade, however, there will still be times I would need the same tractor, especially if I'm cutting larger timbers. There's always the option of using a Log Arch too, in lieu of a tractor.

So, I'm still chewing on this...

Jim Andrew
03-20-2013, 1:28 PM
My Cooks mill cuts pretty accurately, Cooks makes and sharpens blades, and sharpeners, setters and rollers. I bought my own mill because of inept sawmill operators and mills that were not kept in proper working order, as well as over charging for their services. Who wants to be ripped off for someone ruining your trees. I had several ash trees sawn and the guy cut it all with his 1" scale instead of the 4/4 scale, so it cleaned up at 5/8". That's why I own a band mill.

John TenEyck
03-20-2013, 3:47 PM
There is a guy who regularly visits the Forestry Forum and Woodnet who owns a Swingmill and regularly tests new models for them, too. His handle is Ianab, from New Zealand. Very nice guy. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any question you would have about them. I'd love to have a Swingmill. For a furniture maker, they look to be about the ideal machine. Portable in the back of a truck, too.

John

Richard Coers
03-20-2013, 4:04 PM
For me, it's about what kind of logs you expect to work most of the time. Swing mills are good for the big stuff, but not so much for big urban logs. If you have a good saw doctor, then it's not such a big deal, but if you knock off a tooth, it can get pricey. You can carry 20 bands with out hurting much, carry 2 or 3 circular blades, and you are talking pretty big money. The swings can't cut the wider stock without double cutting or slab attachment. Getting 20" wide boards isn't a big deal for the bandsaw. Edging is easier on the swing, but only a few boards will need that on a log if rotated on the band mill. If you are working big logs, want a bunch of 8" wide quartersawn, and don't expect much metal, it's perfect. Anything other than that, and it's a toss up.

Todd Burch
03-25-2013, 4:10 PM
I've talked with 2 different logging companies to get some estimates. Both were for a truckload of oak logs (red/white) to be used for timber framing.

The closer logger (~35 miles one way) bid a truck of green logs, 25-30 feet long, 20-25 tons, delivered, unloaded, for ~$1350 per load.
The further logger (~70 miles one way) bid $1500/load.

Do these prices seem reasonable?

Jamie Buxton
03-25-2013, 6:47 PM
Todd --
You start out saying "hobby", but it turns out you're thinking about building a whole timber-frame building, and talking about a truckload of logs. That isn't hobby any more.

Todd Burch
03-25-2013, 7:02 PM
:D

Some of us, I guess, are a bit more into their hobbies!

Harold Matthews
03-25-2013, 8:09 PM
I have a Peterson WPF, down here in the jungle. It works well, needs no extra equipment, because it sets up right over the log(s). I also built a WoodMizer style oversized mill, to saw 36" table slabs from sinker cypress and heart pine logs my son and I recovered from the rivers in Florida.

It has everything an LT40 hyd WoodMizer has, and can cut 40" dia logs, IF you think about it some. The band mill is for sale in Sebastian, Florida. You can't get a more complete mill for What I will take. Hook on, plug in the lights, and go home with it. We have towed it several thousand miles, with no problem.

Here are a few photos.

Jim Andrew
03-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Another reason I bought a mill is, I have trees. I farm. And a creek runs through it. I could saw every day and not run out of trees. Just good ones. So when you start talking about buying a truck load of logs, it is no longer relevant to me. I just saw my own wood because I don't have to buy it. And there is plenty of wood left to heat my shop.