PDA

View Full Version : Shop Surprise!

Mike Ramsey
05-09-2005, 11:09 AM
This weekend i thought i might do some cleaning in one dark corner of my shop to make room for a new planer or whatever. I decided to cancel this idea as soon as I saw this! :eek: Don't know if the pic shows how big this skin is but it is quite large and not knowing where the rest of him be!, I beat a hasty retreat. I have not found him yet so it is making for a nervous time in the rest of the shop.. I'm not sure what kind of snake but most around here are Copperheads & Rattle snakes.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19298&stc=1

Jerry Clark
05-09-2005, 11:15 AM
I agree that you need to be careful-- but you need to find it-- maybe the local animal control could help-- I would be nervious also. Don't need that in the shop! Good luck!:eek:

Doug Shepard
05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Yup - Time for a break. And remember, he grew out of that skin. He's even bigger now!

Bob Borzelleri
05-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Mike...
are you sure that it isn't some old belt that you misplaced?

...Bob

Jeff Sudmeier
05-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Wow, I would retreat as well! I HATE snakes... EESH!

Mike Ramsey
05-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Jerry, according to my wife I would be considered the local animal control.
Bob, as big as the skin is, it's still not big enough to be one of my old belts!!
Or maybe you were talking about machine belts :)

John Shuk
05-09-2005, 11:06 PM
You might have a shot at Id'ign the snake with a close look at the skin. I'm pretty sure you'll see evidence of the rattles if it is one and if there is a way to tell look closely at the head to see it it is characteristic of a pit viper which Rattlers and Copperheads both are. There would be evidence of indentations behind the eyes if it is a pit viper. You might try setting up a reptile heater stone somewhere to give it a nice warm place to coil up so animal control has an easier time finding it.

John Hart
05-10-2005, 7:25 AM
Interesting mouse control you have there Mike! :eek: I personally like snakes but you don't want him lying in wait as you look for a scrap to work with. If animal control won't help you, you could always build a trap with a yummy rodent in it. :rolleyes: Rattlesnake makes a fine gumbo by the way:D

Dennis Peacock
05-10-2005, 8:56 AM
Yup....we are seeing snakes on the move now that the weather is getting warmer. It's not uncommon for me or the family see 6 or more snakes each summer. One time, I had to physically remove an 8' long king snake from the front end of my car so I could go to work. The kids saw it in the yard and threw a stick at it. It then proceeded to climb up inside the engine compartment of my car and left part of it's tail sticking out. :eek: That's ok with me.....I can deal with snakes....but I sure HATE spiders!!! :eek: :rolleyes:
Needless to say, I grabbed the exposed snakes tail and slowly pulled him out of the car's compartment. I pulled and kept seeing snake being exposed and kept pulling for what seemed like 10 minutes! :eek: To date, it's the largest snake I've had to physically remove from my property. ;)

Be careful....no matter where you are.

Steve Evans
05-10-2005, 1:03 PM
Man all this talk about snakes makes 6 months of snow seem like a good deal. I haaaatttte snakes. No big spiders up here either. Just mosquitoes and tiny little black flies that will relieve you of your skin if you're not covered up. But then the snow comes and they're gone. But no big snakes or big spiders.

Mike Ramsey
05-10-2005, 1:07 PM
Interesting mouse control you have there Mike! :eek: I personally like snakes but you don't want him lying in wait as you look for a scrap to work with. If animal control won't help you, you could always build a trap with a yummy rodent in it. :rolleyes: Rattlesnake makes a fine gumbo by the way:D

John, as long as I can still buy Hamburger meat at the grocery store I won't be dinning on Rattlesnake! I tried it once in El Paso & the one bite i took kept getting bigger & bigger!! I also don't mind snakes as they are important to us but I also like to know exactly where they are at all times if possible!

John Hart
05-10-2005, 1:54 PM
That's the beauty of livin' in Texas. Nothin' there that won't bite, sting, or stick ya. I've always loved it.

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-11-2005, 12:50 AM
I guess a snake helps keep the rodents away...but we've got five 'mousers' of the feline variety...so I have no use whatever for snakes.

A few years back Mister Rattlesnake showed up in the shop, right under the coffe pot table. He politely let me know he was there when I walked by, and when I got too close while trying to figure out what the noise was. :eek:

He wasn't a smart snake tho...waited around without moving for a couple hours until my FIL came home. I didn't even care about the possible hole in the floor...I just wanted him dead. Shotgun 1, snake 0. Haven't seen one since.

KC

John Hart
05-11-2005, 6:31 AM
We used to hunt rattlers in the desert in Idaho. Armed with a stick, a knife, and a shotgun. We only used the shotgun when a snake would get in one of those moods where they thought they could win..... heh heh.. they never won:)

Mike Ramsey
05-12-2005, 9:33 PM
Found the Him! Was working in shop after work and I heard Daisy May our Basset Hound barking and looked out and she was at the corner of the shop looking down in the grass and i walked over and he was just laying there, Daisy guarded him while i got a big stick to pin him down and my son picked him up. Took some Pics then took him to the field across the road and let him go.
He or she is a beautiful Speckeled King Snake. I feel a lot better now knowing what he was and hopefully gone for good.

John Hart
05-12-2005, 9:45 PM
congratulations Mike! Nice looking snake. Glad it turned out the good way.