PDA

View Full Version : An entire house worth of cabinetry

Todd Burch
03-19-2013, 6:44 PM
Anyone ever build an entire house worth of cabinetry, in their spare time? For free?

I'm on the downhill slide of doing just this, and it's a lot of work. A ton of designing, discussions, design changes and compromises.

Deliveries, installations, fittings, scribings, screwing, stud finding, plumbing, electrical.

Perfect fits, acceptable fits, unacceptable fits, re-dos.

Material excesses, material deficits, material defects, materials too good to use for the job, cut-offs, sawdust.

Tool repairs, blade sharpenings, tool purchases, supplies, rags, towels, moving blankets, tie down straps, trailer, tires for trailer, truck break downs, runs to suppliers, deliveries from suppliers.

Bullying, frustrations, laughs, accolades, complaints.

Poor spraying weather with enough spray material, perfect spraying weather with not enough spraying material.

Interruptions, holidays, vacations, overtime at work, too tired, burnt out.

I have a few cabinet doors, the base of a high-lo cherry buffet (the top is getting deferred for later), and a cherry medicine cabinet. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Todd

Phil Thien
03-19-2013, 6:52 PM
Bullying?

Why are you doing it for free?

Stephen Cherry
03-19-2013, 6:55 PM
I'm on the downhill slide of doing just this,

Pixtures...

Chris Padilla
03-19-2013, 7:50 PM
Must be for a "dear" relative. :)

Todd Burch
03-19-2013, 7:54 PM
Yes, bullying. Yes, my dad. Yes, a dear relative.

Pictures forthcoming - in a few weeks. Once I get doors on.

mreza Salav
03-19-2013, 8:16 PM
I am thinking of all this for our next (planed) house anf it scares the hell out of me (kitchen, bathrooms, closets, built-ins, etc).
Would love to see you photos...

Richard Coers
03-19-2013, 8:28 PM
I've done it, but was making money, and in the business. Congrats as it winds down, BUT, I wouldn't suggest that you break up that hi-lo for different times. Cherry changes color so quickly, it will take a long time for the top to ever match that base.

Peter Quinn
03-19-2013, 9:19 PM
Anyone ever build an entire house worth of cabinetry? Yes

In their spare time? Spare time? What is that exactly? Does that come after death?

For free? Nothing is free. And nothing is without its reward. Not everything is easily accounted for on a balance sheet, but free? Maybe you were already paid?

Sam Layton
03-19-2013, 9:30 PM
Todd, You are very lucky to have a dad to build things for. My father passed away when I was 5 years old. I would do anything for a father to build things for...

Peter, I agree, where can you find spare time...

Sam

David Cramer
03-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Todd, You are very lucky to have a dad to build things for. My father passed away when I was 5 years old. I would do anything for a father to build things for...

Sam

Excellent perspective Sam:) and I totally agree!

Jim Andrew
03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm in the middle of that same project, for my nephew. It is a big house too. Last Tuesday we built the countertop for the sink wall in the kitchen. I build the parts, they put on the finish, and we are building the tops together. Now after I get the last 2 boxes done, have about a million doors and drawers to build. (seems like) Big house.

Tai Fu
03-20-2013, 5:30 AM
Think of it as filial piety... if all your dad asks you to do is build cabinets for him, then it's not that much... many Chinese parents ask for far more.

johnny means
03-20-2013, 7:37 AM
The professional in me grumbles when I here these stories. People tend to undervalue the trades. Would the OPs father have been comfortable asking his child for 6 months of wages?

Todd Burch
03-20-2013, 7:48 AM
Think of it as filial piety... if all your dad asks you to do is build cabinets for him, then it's not that much... many Chinese parents ask for far more.

Thanks Tai. I was not familiar with that term - I had to look it up! I guess in America - we get off easy in this department, as compared to China!

The professional in me grumbles when I here these stories. People tend to undervalue the trades. Would the OPs father have been comfortable asking his child for 6 months of wages?

This was my gift to him. I'm just whining and looking for others that could go to a support group session with me. He has paid for all the materials and supplies.

Rick Alexander
03-20-2013, 8:17 AM
3 years ago this July I finished up my son's house. We bought the house next door and basically rebuilt it completely. About the only thing original in the house is the studs and roof. We hired out a good bit of the construction like heat and air, electrical, plumbing and sheet rock but most of the rest we did. It took us nearly a year total and ran over in cost of what we figured by about 20K but all in all it was a good experience. I can remember the last few months everyone waiting on me to finish the paint, cabinetry, trim, and flooring so they could move in. I beat his wedding by a mere 2 months after expecting to finish a good 3 months earlier than that. Probably the hardest thing I ever did but without a doubt my crowning achievement and it gives me a tremendous amount of gratification every time I go over there to see it. Seems like the harder you have to work on a project the more gratification it gives after you're done. Hang in there - it'll pay off.

Now if I could only just get my own kitchen cabinets done.

Phil Thien
03-20-2013, 8:31 AM
I'm just whining and looking for others that could go to a support group session with me. He has paid for all the materials and supplies.

Okay, I get it. I'm very understanding of your situation. Feel free to whine on.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, though. You will get there soon.

Alden Miller
03-20-2013, 9:33 AM
Done that, been there. And I am like Rick, wish I could get my own projects finished.

I did a complete kitchen, three bathrooms, and a wall unit for the living room in my parents old condo. They just sold it and moved to a senior living community. Now they want to talk about more cabinets and built ins...

-Alden