PDA

View Full Version : MDF Supplier

Chris Edens
03-19-2013, 5:15 PM
I am looking for 1/4 MDF board with no Formaldehyde. Does anyone know of a good place to get it online? I have having a tough time finding it anywhere.

Dan Hintz
03-20-2013, 6:21 AM
Look for MDF designed to work in damp environments... it won't guarantee formaldehyde-free resins (since the melamine version of urea-formaldehyde is still used there), but it should reduce the chances of getting it. Specifically, look for phenolic resins and polymeric diphenylmethane diisocyanate (PMDI) as the binder in your searches... should help pop up a few possibilities.

Any reason you're looking for form-free?

Chris Edens
03-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Everyone has told me if I am going to be cutting it with a laser to get that. Is the MDF with formaldehyde really that harmful?

Dan Hintz
03-20-2013, 1:28 PM
If you're exhausting the fumes, I wouldn't think about it. Vapor creation will happen as you heat it (i.e., cut), but once the cut has cooled (almost instantly), the release of vapor won't be any more than if the board was just sitting there on the shelf.

Michael Hunter
03-20-2013, 1:55 PM
Formaldehyde is flammable, so most of that released will burn in the heat of the laser anyway.

It is "natural" chemical and occurs (in very small quantities) in unprocessed "real" wood.

Much more worrying are the partial decomposition products of the wood fibres - creosotes etc., which are probably more carcinogenic than the formaldehyde that people get so nervous about.

Urea-formaldehyde glue is laser-friendly - it breaks down/burns easily.
In contrast, phenolic and other glues used for waterproof products are often difficult and messy to cut (char, soot etc.).

So as Dan says - make sure the exhaust is efficient and don't worry too much.

Chris Edens
03-20-2013, 3:29 PM
Formaldehyde is flammable, so most of that released will burn in the heat of the laser anyway.

It is "natural" chemical and occurs (in very small quantities) in unprocessed "real" wood.

Much more worrying are the partial decomposition products of the wood fibres - creosotes etc., which are probably more carcinogenic than the formaldehyde that people get so nervous about.

Urea-formaldehyde glue is laser-friendly - it breaks down/burns easily.
In contrast, phenolic and other glues used for waterproof products are often difficult and messy to cut (char, soot etc.).

So as Dan says - make sure the exhaust is efficient and don't worry too much.

Ok I am using a trotec Atmos as my exhaust system. Will that be sufficient?

Michael Hunter
03-20-2013, 7:46 PM
Ok I am using a trotec Atmos as my exhaust system. Will that be sufficient?

Sorry, not familiar with that exhaust system (I live in the countryside, so just vent outside).

If it is a filtration system ***and*** you are venting outside, then that is really good.

If you are venting indoors, then check the specification or ask Trotec.

Any filter system that catches the other nasties and smellies should also catch formaldehyde, but if it was me I would want to be really sure!