PDA

View Full Version : Laser cut games.

Joe Hillmann
03-19-2013, 4:29 PM
Can anyone suggest games that are well suited to laser cutting? Looking online there are lots of war game or fantasy game where they laser cut accessories for the game but I am looking for more traditional board games.

It also isn't just that I want to make laser cut games I want them to be a work of art the that a person would want to show off rather then a lot of laser cut items where there only "wow" factor is that it is laser cut.

So far I have done a
quinto game board and pieces.
two different types of cribbage boards. One is kind of cool the other one I think is beautiful.
the chess set that I posted last week and chessboard with drawers to go with it. The board is really
cool but the pieces aren't quite as elegant as I had imagined when I designed them.
a 9 mens morris game that uses marbles and has drawers to hold the marbles
and a game called quatro, both the board with drawers and the pieces. (this is a really fun but
frustrating game because you think you are winning and one move later the game is over and
you lost)

I would also like to make a mancalla game but need to figure out a way to make it look nice, Ive also thought about making a wooden or metal deck of cards and a domino set.

What other games can anyone suggest that is fun and may work as a laser cut game?

I will try and post pictures of the games I have made so far on Thursday.

Dan Hintz
03-19-2013, 4:37 PM
Designs... highly-detailed designs that only a laser can do are the best thing I can think of to bring the wow factor. Make some parts 2.5D, too... people love texture. Back-engrave painted acrylic so the board looks like a thick layer of gloss is nice. Add LEDs to back-engraved stuff.

Nutshell? Texture and detailed designs...

Mike Null
03-19-2013, 5:09 PM
Joe

Chinese checkers comes to mind as one that might offer the opportunity for some creativity.

loren cox
03-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Palago. This is a very simple game with one type of piece, but when done on nice wood is quite a striker in my opinion due to it's simplicity. Could be cool in acrylic as well. There's a file for it up on Thingiverse, and I have an Illustrator file for it if you'd like it just PM me.

Joe Hillmann
03-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Loren, you wouldn't know if that game is copyrighted or in the public domain would you? Of the games I have made so far the only one that is copyrighted is quinto which I don't plan to sell, I've just made it as gifts so far.

loren cox
03-20-2013, 1:13 AM
I don't. It isn't available for purchase in the US ans it originated in New Zealand, and the creator's website seems to be down though it was working fine a couple of days ago. You can search for it on boardgamegeek . com for more info. It's fun and easy to make, and since it can't be purchased even if I wanted to I'll have no qualms cutting my own for gifts for friends. Selling it is another can of worms... =] Great thread I look forward to other replies.

Joe Hillmann
03-20-2013, 1:18 AM
That is the reason I asked, I tried looking at the creators website and is showed up as not working so I thought it may be an older game.

Mark Ross
03-20-2013, 8:39 AM
Othello, using two color acrylic.

Dee Gallo
03-20-2013, 4:30 PM
I've seen Parcheesi and Backgammon games made with laser-made inlay that were pieces of art you could play with too. Both the boards and playing pieces can be engraved.

This one was made by Terry Beauchamp, who does very nice inlay work. It was designed so that the board is also a box which holds all the pieces and rules.

Joe Hillmann
03-20-2013, 4:51 PM
That one is beautiful. I don't plan to do anything near that nice.

Bert Kemp
03-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Domino's comes to mine also could make fancy Domino's:)

Jason Hilton
06-13-2013, 11:24 AM
While copyrighted, if you're just doing them for yourself, Tsuro is a simple tile game with a lot of potential for cool laser etching and cutting.

Mr Mike Mills
03-30-2014, 9:17 PM
Would anyone happen to have file for settlers of catan board they would be willing to share. I have seen some neat pics on the internet. I just want to make board pieces with some scraps for personal use. I am not looking to sell boards.

thanks mike

Jason Hilton
03-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Hi Mike,

Here's a link to a few that are available on thingiverse and are great for laser cutting:

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=catan&sa=

Mr Mike Mills
03-31-2014, 12:10 AM
Wow. Great Site. Thanks Mike

Jess Phiz
03-31-2014, 12:36 AM
I suppose these are game of sorts, my husband designed these on Coraldraw full flat pack, he has had no prior training in any kind of drawing.

I think he did rather well

Jason Hilton
03-31-2014, 1:26 AM
OMG those are amazing!

Joe Hillmann
03-31-2014, 11:14 AM
I like the roulette wheel.

Mr Mike Mills
05-10-2014, 9:14 PM
I did not see any thing I really like. Here is my version in action

289040 289041

the cities are just a touch bigger than my spots I have made, settlements fit nicely. And I need to make a new desert with out a number hole But the roads fit nice. And I made the pieces for the 5-6 player expansion pack. This was made with 5.2 mm oak plywood. Made with scrap pieces from cabinet backing. The back side is oak as well but there are some knots.

of course I was not the winner for the boards maiden game. But in tradition our family friend was able to sign the back of the board as the 1st game victor.