PDA

View Full Version : Installing Inlay - guidance for a beginner

Finnian Dawson
03-19-2013, 4:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I am planning putting some inlay (probably some sort of exotic hardwood, cocobolo perhaps) into |_| shape channel routed out in oak moulding as shown below. The channel will be about 3/8" wide.

Any tips on installing? Is it as simple as routing the channel to required depth (route to 2mm deep, install 3mm thick banding and sand to flush? - Edit - I see that a lot of banding is sold at 1mm thick -so route channel to 1mm deep, and glue in banding with no/little sanding?)
Use standard wood glue to adhere inlay to the mouliding.
And lastly, I would like a high gloss finish on the piece - shellac, then finishing wax?

Thanks

Mark Kornell
03-20-2013, 1:00 AM
Yeah, it is basically that easy. If the banding is 1mm thick, try aiming for something like .75 mm deep channel. You do want to trim or sand something to get it flush. The hard part is getting the channel routed to the exact width of the banding.

Any glue that would bond the two species of wood together will work. If you are using an oily wood like cocobolo, you'll need to wipe the glue surface with acetone before gluing to remove the surface oil and allow the glue to adhere properly.

High gloss finish? That's a harder question. Where will the moulding be installed?

Finnian Dawson
03-21-2013, 7:04 PM
Thanks Mark - moulding will be installed on the edge of each shelf of a hifi rack!

Mark Kornell
03-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Considering that's not a high wear application nor one that would be exposed to moisture, just about any finish capable of giving a high gloss would be fine. Whatever you're most comfortable applying or have easiest access to...