PDA

View Full Version : how to put a duct line on a 15" planer?????

Wade Lippman
03-19-2013, 2:37 PM
I am making some progress on my shop, but now have a really stupid problem; connecting my Grizzly G0453 to my cyclone.G0453.
If I attach the hose to the dust hood directly from the ceiling, it will block use of the rollers on top of the planer and make getting the stock back difficult. It has to come from the side, but that is awfully clumsy; requiring two 90* elbows.

Maybe I am missing something here. How is it properly done?

I won't ask why they don't just feed it out the side.

Jim Andrew
03-19-2013, 2:54 PM
I have 2 90's on mine. Doesn't seem to hurt the dust collection. Easiest machine in the shop to collect dust from. Did you take the strip of foam off the bottom of the top plate? Think the reason it works better with it gone is that otherwise it doesn't get enough air.

David Kumm
03-19-2013, 3:01 PM
Two 90s are a lot better than flex or a shroud from the side. Most hobby guys don't have enough DC to pipe a planer hood from the side. Dave

Bill Space
03-19-2013, 6:26 PM
Hi,

I have a different model Grizzly 15" Planer, but what I did might work for you. I got a 4" aluminum dryer 90, and used aluminum dryer flex pipe to go out the side and twist upwards to my blast gate. After the blast gate I have four 90 degree turns before the chips drop into my chip separator, and a 90 or two after the chip separator until the pipe reaches the dust collector fan.

I have no problems with this system. The dust collector is a 2HP Grizzly, around 1550 CFM rating if I remember correctly.

See picture below...

Bill

Ed McEowen
03-19-2013, 8:12 PM
I have the same planer and used a 4" HVAC elbow (26 gauge) siliconed to the shroud on one end and taped to a 4 1/2" piece of 4" duct on the other side and siliconed into a blast gate. I taped the seams of the elbow and probably siliconed them too. Never had any problems.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd374/sawyered/shop/001_zpsd6e5d67c.jpg

Wade Lippman
03-19-2013, 8:24 PM
I have the same planer and used a 4" HVAC elbow (26 gauge) siliconed to the shroud on one end and taped to a 4 1/2" piece of 4" duct on the other side and siliconed into a blast gate. I taped the seams of the elbow and probably siliconed them too. Never had any problems.

I actually bought one of those and wondered how to make it air tight. Silicon works?

I have been taping the seams on my 8" elbows, but not siliconing them. Seems to me that tape should be adequate, no?

Jim Andrew
03-19-2013, 10:42 PM
I taped mine to keep them from sagging.

Ed McEowen
03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Tape should be adequate, but silicone is really strong once it's cured. I worried about the weight of the horizontal with the blast gate on it, didn't want to see it sagging later on. I've sealed all the elbows and blast gates in my dust collection system with silicone, and most everything else with tape. The only downsides are silicone tends to take the shine off the galvanized as it cures and it's hard to undo. But I look at silicone caulk like oldtimers looked at baling wire and a pair of pliers - will fix anything.