PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine new idea

Josh Bowman
03-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Not sure if this is a good or bad idea. But I got tried of dealing with the board template that Oneway suggests for setting the tool holder. 257533 So I just set them with the template and drilled and marked a hole in the holder and put a finish nail in to index the holder 257534257535. What do you think?

Dan Forman
03-19-2013, 12:44 PM
With the CBN wheels you should be OK, unless you decide to change your settings by just a hair. I just marked the shaft with a magic marker and found that good enough.

Dan

Dennis Nagle
03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
It will change when your wheels wear down.....unless you have CNN.

Peter Fabricius
03-19-2013, 1:56 PM
Great idea Josh; This will work with CBN wheels but you still have to deal with tool wear, so testing your setting each time is still advisable. Peter F.

Josh Bowman
03-19-2013, 2:16 PM
Great idea Josh; This will work with CBN wheels but you still have to deal with tool wear, so testing your setting each time is still advisable. Peter F.
Let me clarify. This only works for the varigrind holder where you maintain a fixed protrusion and of course a fixed size wheel like the cbn. Sorry for leaving out these details.

John Keeton
03-19-2013, 3:18 PM
Josh, that will work, and I did something similar by drilling a 2" deep hole in the 2x4 apron at the end of the bench where the grinder setup is located.

Fred Belknap
03-19-2013, 4:29 PM
That is a good idea. I have some blocks cut to the right length to fit between the end of the arm and the tool holder. I have the blocks marked for bowl gouge, spindle and some for the secondary bevel. Now I need one of Robo Hippy's tool rest for the scrapers and skews.

Josh Bowman
03-19-2013, 4:30 PM
Josh, that will work, and I did something similar by drilling a 2" deep hole in the 2x4 apron at the end of the bench where the grinder setup is located.

John, that's the next thing I need to do. I had something like that for my Tormek, just havn't gotten a round to it yet.

Thom Sturgill
03-19-2013, 4:37 PM
I own a set of raptors for measuring the offset, but after buying a CBN wheel I painted stripes on the wolverine arm. the Raptors are still useful for setting the angle of the plate but one of Robo Hippy's plates would make them completely redundant. Not sure I want to drill holes though.

John Keeton
03-19-2013, 5:09 PM
Thom, with the CBN wheel, there are only two variables for my purposes in sharpening gouges. All my gouges, bowl and spindle, are ground at 42*, with the exception of a bottom feeder bowl gouge which is ground at 60* as I recall. In any event, I simply took an awl and scratched two setting marks on the square 'Vee' arm of the Wolverine - one for each angle and they are marked appropriately. I never change the Vari-Grind, and I always set the tools with 2" extended. Having the hole in the 2x4 is quick and consistent.

That may not work for everyone, but it does for me.

For my scrapers, and for the cutting tips on my hollowing system, my platform remains set at the same angle. I would have to measure it, but my guess is somewhere around 15*, or a little better.

Reed Gray
03-19-2013, 5:14 PM
Josh,
Are you sharpening your SRGs on that set up? Or????

robo hippy

Josh Bowman
03-19-2013, 5:48 PM
Josh,
Are you sharpening your SRGs on that set up? Or????

robo hippy
Nope, just the gouges that use the varigrind. For the SRG's I just have a sharpie mark on the tool holder and have to check as the tool gets shorter.

And for all, what I really like about the pin is I just plug it into the correct hole, shove the tool holder in and lock it and grind.

Dave Mueller
03-19-2013, 6:00 PM
Josh,
I did something similar. Like John, I keep the angle on my Wolverine tool mount the same for all grinds, essentially the same as Doug Thompson has on his website. After I set up and sharpen a tool, before I move anything I make a wooden jig for that tool as shown in the pictures below and label it for that tool. The screws make it easy to do small adjustments. The next time I want to sharpen that tool, I use the jig I made for it to adjust the wheel to Wolverine support distance until the two screws touch the wheel and the setup is dead on with no tweaking. Now it takes longer to find the right jig than it does to set up to sharpen the tool. It works with a regular wheel and compensates for wheel wear, since it is a three point system. Works even better with my CBN.

mark ravensdale
03-19-2013, 8:35 PM
Now these ideas are what these forums are all abt, well done guys, I may use the nail idea myself (I use CBN wheels)

Reed Gray
03-19-2013, 9:06 PM
Josh,
I guess I should have known that, but I never have used a Wolverine set up. I went from the Ellsworth jig to platform sharpening.

robo hippy