PDA

View Full Version : T10010 wet grinder - "ring test?"

Maurice Arney
03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Anyone know what this means? I bought the Grizzly T10010 wet grinder and the setup instructions say to do a "ring test" on the grinding wheel. Apparently, you hang the wheel by a cord through the center and tap on each of four quadrants with the butt of a screwdriver. If you hear a ring the wheel is good. If just a thud, "don't use it." My wheel "thuds." :confused:

Mel Fulks
03-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Maurice, you are having a hard time . Not only is your jointer giving you problems ...but now you can't play music on your new grinding wheel! That is just a test to detect a crack that might cause the wheel to fly apart . It doesn't have to ring much, just sound ...sound.

Maurice Arney
03-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Mel, You forgot about my bandsaw problems... LOL But that's another story. Ya, I googled "ring test" and saw that it was to detect a crack. This is a pretty fat wheel and I don't see any cracks but the Grizzly manual says not to use it unless I hear a "ping." I guess I better call them and make sure.

Called tech support and he is sending a new wheel. So far these folks really seem to come through.