PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Titanium Blade tests

Kelly C. Hanna
05-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Well, I had to try 'em. As some of you know I am not a Ridgid fan by any stretch, but I put that aside for this test.

I've been using Freud blades forever in all my saws. One day I go to HD to buy another one for the SCMS and they were out of the 40 & 60 tooth Freuds, so I glanced over and saw a 60 tooth Ridgid blade. It was only a few dollars more (and the only other choice for a decent blade) so I bought it.

I put it on (it's been there now for a few weeks) and got glasss smooth cuts, just like the standard Makita Blade.

So then last week I saw them in the 7.25" size for circ saws. At $3 more than the Freud, I pondered it awhile, but then decided to try it too. I was pleasantly surprised that it actually cut through wet PT Pine better than the Freud. We've have been using it now for a few days and remain impressed.

So Saturday, I went out for a new blade for the 1023. Knowing that I have tuned the saw to the best of my ability I was anxious to see the cut quality. The last blade on there was a cheapo Avenger and it left saw marks galore I almost detoured over to Rockler to get a Glue Line Rip blade just to try it, but since I have had very good luck so far with the oither Ridgid blades, I took the plunge.

Wow! I am impressed to say the least. Not only do I not have ANY saw marks (I am new to this BTW), but the surface is very close to one that has been jointed. Count me as happy!

I bought the 50 tooth thin kerf (3/32") combo blade at a cost of $45.99 and it produces the same flawless cut in both ripping and crosscutting modes. I highly recommend the Ridgid saw blades for anyone wanting a good clean cut under $50.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Kelly,

Thanks for the review. I need to pick up a new blade for my SCMS. I will give the rigids a look.

Dennis McDonaugh
05-09-2005, 9:30 PM
Kelly, thanks for the review. Its nice to have suitable alternative brand as the local lowes and hd are out of freud blades frequently.

Scott Larson
05-10-2005, 1:27 AM
I believe the Ridgid blades are made by Freud (or at least thats what the HD guys said, to the point that they both ship to the store in the same box (freud and ridgid). Thus, if you like your Freud's, you will likely get along with the ridgids.

-Scott

Bart Leetch
05-10-2005, 11:12 AM
I wonder if a big company like HD which ships out of several warehouses might put both Freud & Rigid blades in the same box to ship them out to the store location. :eek: Does this mean that they come from the manufacture this way. Or does a Freud vendor stock both the Freud & Rigid display? :confused:

Hmmmm I wonder?????? :D