PDA

View Full Version : Return of almost 2 year old compressor???

Jeff R. King
03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Just wondering if any of you guys have had luck returning an item to Lowes that is almost 2 years old. I bought this Kobalt compressor which fits my garage nicely but the housing broke. Apparently it is quite common and there is no replacement part for what broke.

I'm not one to abuse warranties or super nice store manager return policies but this compressor hasn't been used hardly at all - basically just filling tires and blowing off some sanding dust.

I live 2 hours from Lowes and don't want to waste my time trying to bring it back if it is a lost cause.

George Bokros
03-19-2013, 11:01 AM
I tried to return a HVAC register (goes on the outlet) that wife bought two years ago but it did not fit (wrong size) but she chose to not tell me. I found it in her sewing room closet by accident. Lowes refused.

How long is the warranty on it?

Tom Ewell
03-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Might make more sense to call the Lowes manager where you bought it rather than posting on the web.

johnny means
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Ive returned stuff to Lowes after several months before with no receiot and got store credit. Exchanged a few well used tools with reciepts when they failed, what to me was prematurely. These exchanges have been well outside their stated policies, but they worked with me. Though I must admit I'm as well known in my local Lowes as any of the staff.

Anyway, it can't hurt to ask nicely. BTW, never ask for more complicated help late in the day. No one is going to want to spend a lot of time with you at quitting time.

Matt Meiser
03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
How long was the warranty when you bought it? If its within warranty, I would expect that you'd have to do whatever the warranty says you have to do for service. Some of the big box stuff you just have to take it to the store--some things they just replace the item, some they send off for repair. Read the warranty info that came with your compressor for details. Its likely to have changed, so current warranty rules might not apply.

Do you have a receipt? I'd expect you will have trouble without. Not sure how far back they can look up a credit card transaction, if you paid that way.

And if you do get a refund, learn the lesson that cheap compressors aren't so cheap... ;) Knock on wood my 10+ year old IR is humming along like the day I brought it home with only ~2 year oil changes and a new air filter when it needs one. Do your ears a favor and get an oiled one this time too.

If you don't need a big compressor, the Makitas are really nice. I have the MAC700 for portable use and love it.

Troy Turner
03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Jeff - Never tried to return anything that was purchased that long ago. If it's certainly a documented known problem, maybe Kobalt is aware of it and will make it right. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call. That might give you a return number and let you take it back to Lowes for a replacement.

Otherwise, make sure you get the right person as Lowes as some are probably more willing to work with you than others. If the model is still in stock, may make the exchange a little easier.

Good luck.

Stephen Cherry
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Do you have the reciept? If you do, I would give it a shot. A compressor should be serviceable for more that two years. Two hours away though, so it may not be worth the drive.

Jeff R. King
03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Thank you for the responses. I do realize talking to them will give me the answer I just wanted to see if anyone else had some real life experience with it. Obviously this is a faulty part so I'm hoping they work with me.

Thanks again - Jeff

Greg Portland
03-19-2013, 2:42 PM
If the housing is cracking like that it is a major safety problem. I would think they'd have a factory recall on the item? This is information that typically can be looked up online.

Harry Hagan
03-19-2013, 3:11 PM
All of your purchases at Lowe’s have been stored on their database so not having a receipt should not be a problem. I just Googled “Kobalt compressor warranty” and randomly picked a compressor and it was listed as having a “3-year limited” warranty. Check your unit’s warranty. Good luck.

Ronald Blue
03-19-2013, 7:09 PM
If it's still a current model look at the feedback and that might offer some leverage if there are other reports of it. My son had a one piece tub shower from HD and his wife dropped a plastic bottle of shampoo and cracked the bottom. After looking on line there were other complaints about the problem in the feedback and they redesigned it and replaced it for free. Of course he had to do all the labor but at least the tub was covered. They might work with you especially if it is still under warranty. Good luck.