PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 Turn Lathe Accessory Quick Mount

Dick Mahany
03-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Like many of you, I often find myself using accessories on my lathe. Disc sander, wheeled steady rest, threading jig, sphere jig, captured hollowing frame, etc. I have never enjoyed bending over and fiddling with the retaining block from under the bed, so I made these. They drop in from above, and provide near perfect centering (nice for spheres). The reason that the larger diameter is rounded is so that it doesn't interfere with the support webs underneath the bed when sliding the accessories back and forth. With a simple Nylok nut, they quickly engage or release with just 1/4 turn. I just need to mark the top of the bolt so that I can easily see when they're engaged when used in a blind condition. Quick and simple to make.

Peter Fabricius
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Nice idea Dick;
I assume the little screw is to prevent over turning the retaining block once it is inserted between the lathe ways.?
I like it a lot and will have one made before the end of the day....
Peter F.

Dick Mahany
03-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Nice idea Dick;
I assume the little screw is to prevent over turning the retaining block once it is inserted between the lathe ways.?
I like it a lot and will have one made before the end of the day....
Peter F.

Peter, that little screw is what limits egagement and also registers it for quick release.

Peter Fabricius
03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks Dick!

Kyle Iwamoto
03-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Sweet. Did you get a patent yet? I'm going to copy that before you do.....

Thanks!

Dick Mahany
03-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Sweet. Did you get a patent yet? I'm going to copy that before you do.....

Thanks!

Have fun and copy away..............but please don't tell me that you'll be making yours out of Koa :)