PDA

View Full Version : Compressor questions

Chris E Smith
03-19-2013, 9:12 AM
I have two questions about my compressor setup.

I have a large 5 HP compressor in my home shop. It is used intermittently and may sit a week or more between being used. Should I empty the tank through the drain and leave it empty if I don't expect to use it for a few\ several days or is it preferable to drain the tank weekly and then leave the tank under pressure ?

I also have a Norgren refrigerated air dryer that is the appropriate size for my compressor and I want to hook it up. I'm putting a couple of regulators and valves on a frame next to the compressor and was going to also put in some valves to connect the dryer between the compressor and the regulators so that I can bypass the dryer if I need to take it out for repair/maintenance. I was wondering if the dryer needs a tank or the volume of a pipe distribution system to work properly. I have a 10 gallon compressor tank I could install downstream of the dryer if it would be useful to do so.
Currently the compressor sits in the shop and I will just run a hose to one of the regulators when I run an air tool but eventually I may relocate the compressor about 40 ft. away and install some pipe in the shop. My question is mainly whether it is necessary or useful to add the 10 gallon accumulator tank to the system for the dryer. I would probably just set the dryer and tank on a cart next to the compressor and connect it with flexible hose and hose barb connectors to the compressor regulator manifold.

I mostly just run nailers, a plasma cutter, very occasionally a small pressure pot sand blaster and use air to blow dirt off of stuff.

thanks

Chris

Jim Neeley
03-20-2013, 2:08 AM
Chris,

If you are talking about draining the water from the tank, the more often the better.

If you are talking about depressurizing the tank, the optimal (engineering / materials of steel) solution is to leave it pressurized all of the time as long as you do not have an earthquake and it falls over and breaks off a fitting.

As for a practical application, there's such a margin of safety on air compressor tanks I don't see that it really matters.

I have a 5hp/60 gal IR compressor that has been pressurized since I bought it new, a couple of years ago. I use it occasionally, drain it regularly when used and expect it to last for many years.

David Kumm
03-20-2013, 8:12 AM
For what it is worth, my dryer- Hankinson HT35 just sits next the compressor with no additional tank. Compressor is connected to it and the dryer goes to the regulator. I only turn on the dryer when running air tools or sanders. If there is a better way I'm open to suggestions. Dave

Steve Rozmiarek
03-20-2013, 9:55 AM
Chris, why do you need a dryer for those tools? Sure for spraying finishes, but for the things you listed, I really don't think you'll need it. Unless you just want dry air because you do, then have fun!

Bill White
03-20-2013, 11:35 AM
We blow our tanks (at work) every Fri. when we leave.
My home shop compressor is blown down weekly as well. The home jobby is a Craftsman oiled unit I bought in the late 70s. Hasn't failed yet.
Bill

Chris E Smith
03-20-2013, 2:26 PM
Steve, it's mainly because I got the thing free and it's been sitting around so I thought I might as well use it. Unfortunately it has R-12 refrigerant in it so it might be difficult to get serviced if it ever breaks. I suppose I could just sell it and buy something more useful. I do occasionally spray finishes but don't really have a good place to do it.
Thanks
Chris

Stephen Cherry
03-20-2013, 3:29 PM
It sounds like a pretty nice setup. Why not splurge for one of the automatic drains that squirt the water out after the pump runs? I have one on my IR compressor, and it takes draining the compressor off of the list of things to do.

Erik Christensen
03-20-2013, 4:40 PM
if you are going to install one of those auto drain valves (a good idea - my compressor came with one) I also suggest piping the drain line outside if possible - compressor tank water can be nasty stuff with a lot of suspended rust particles that will make a very hard to remove stain if it just goes to the shop floor