PDA

View Full Version : Aren't Chestnut tree supposed to be rare?

Bart Leetch
05-09-2003, 12:37 AM
I have a friend that has a beautiful giant Chestnut tree in his back yard. It has this great big canopy with beautiful white blooms all over it. His children were playing under it, that sure would make a great picture.

Lee Schierer
05-09-2003, 2:18 PM
There are still lots of chesnut trees. Sophie has several on his property. Most of the old growth ones in the woods around PA are gone.

Now American Elm is a different story. I have a group in my back yard that grow just big enough to produce seeds before the elm disease gets them. I have a couple that are 12" diameter.

Steve Clardy
05-09-2003, 3:17 PM
Don't know about now, but a few years back the Forestry Dept. was interested in knowing about Chestnut trees that did not show worm damage. I think their goal was to try to idenitfy the ones that were not deseased so they could collect the nuts and plant them. Might pass this on to your neighbor. Steve

Jim Becker
05-10-2003, 11:10 AM
You should see the one across the road from Bill Grumbine's house...big and awesome!

Apparently, some trees were somewhat resistant to the blight. Cultivars are working with them to try and re-establish the species. I doubt there will ever be the many millions and millions there once were, but having some kind of health population restored with indeed, be a very nice thing.

Charlie Stein
05-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Hi Bart,
Just wonder where you are? if PA. some times people in PA. call the Buckeye a "Horse Chestnut" I was under the imperstion that all true chestnut was blighted out about 30/40 years ago.
From
C-B-Woodpecker Shop
Charlie

Jim Becker
05-12-2003, 8:59 AM
Originally posted by Charles E. Stein
some times people in PA. call the Buckeye a "Horse Chestnut" I was under the imperstion that all true chestnut was blighted out about 30/40 years ago.

Horse chestnut (Buckeye) is a different species. While the population of American Chestnut was indeed decimated, it is not extinct. As others have indicated, there are trees scattered about, but there are no large stands of them that I am aware of. Those trees that still exist and reproduce apparently are resistant to the original infection.

Bart Leetch
05-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi Bart,
Just wonder where you are?

I live on whidbey Island Washington in Puget Sound.

Cam.Hedrick
05-23-2003, 2:50 PM
right on about the American Chestnut and wish they where still around. We recently dismantled a barn built in 1847 with only american chestnut. Funny thing, one corner of the barn had a spring flowing into it and the wood that was in the water all this time was the nicest of all. A 24" x 12" x 40 timber that's now in my possession....what I'm going to do with it I've no idea.
This area used to be open and full of huge american chestnut trees...all that I've seen are chinese chestnuts anymore.
Now the mountains are covered in poplar and pine mostly!!