PDA

View Full Version : Delta/Rockwell RAS for $65????

Joe Shinall
03-18-2013, 11:37 PM
I know $65 is a good price for a Delta Radial Arm Saw. Does this one look worth it to clean up and use? Been wanting one for a while to replace an old craftsman that broke. I plan on mounting it in a bench across my wall.

http://savannah.craigslist.org/for/3669504103.html

Wade Lippman
03-18-2013, 11:47 PM
You can't take time to ask about things like this. I am sure it will be gone by the time you reply.
Assuming it works decently it is a good buy if you want a RAS.

Joe Shinall
03-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Figured since it is 12:00 midnight here I would ask since I'm definitely not calling them at midnight. It's actually been on for a week with no buyers, reposted every day. RAS's come up for sale so much here that they don't go fast. Just didn't know much about the Delta/Rockwell brand of RAS.

Bill Geibe
03-18-2013, 11:55 PM
That's not as nice a piece as the turret arm style Delta but still a decent saw. You won't know what it's like until you take a look at it. Make sure the carriage bearing aren't sloppy on the arm, etc.

I've seen some decent looking older Delta/Rockwell and DeWalt RAS's in my area recently (SE PA & NJ). Some are good and some not so much. I have a '60's turret arm Rockwell that I bought about a year ago but once home, found it had a bad motor - so I'm still sorting that out.

Bill

Joe Shinall
03-19-2013, 12:02 AM
I've been on the lookout for the turret style but haven't seen one under $500 and I just can't afford that much right now so I figured what the hell, for 65 bucks I can clean it up and resell it if it's not what I want I guess.

I definitely won't get it if it seems out of whack or not smooth. The old one I had was your run of the mill every day Craftsman this style and it worked fine for what I need. Just need to cross cut shelf panels up to 15" depth for builtins.

Bruce Wrenn
03-19-2013, 10:23 PM
This model uses exact same motor (Emerson) as Sears saws from that era. Gave one away a couple months back, as I just didn't need it. I have two of the turret models, a Super 900 (9' saw that also takes a 10" blade,) and 12" one that also will take 10" blades.

Rick Potter
03-20-2013, 3:07 AM
Joe,

If memory serves me this saw will only crosscut about 12" or so. Perhaps someone will correct me if I am mistaken. I passed on one years ago for this reason.

There is a DeWalt 7790 12" saw that looks great on my local CL. The guy has had it for sale for well over a month for $130. Best deal on one I have seen in a while. I have one, and it cut 16 1/4". I see small Delta turrets for under $200 often here. Usually pretty old.

Rick Potter

steve joly
03-20-2013, 9:42 AM
I own that exact saw, for 65 it is a great deal. I do not use mine often however I love it for making crosscut dados and the occasional cross cut if my miter saw is busy. It is not a necessary tool if you own a table saw and a miter saw however if you have the space it is very helpful to have a little repetition.

Dave Cav
03-20-2013, 4:36 PM
It's an OK saw, but not a great saw. A vintage DeWalt or a turret Delta is quite a bit better, but the Delta you're looking at is much better than anything else that came out in the last 20 years or so. I bought one new about 25 years ago and got quite a bit of use out of it, but after I got a 12" Delta turret I ended up giving it to a friend.

Bill Space
03-20-2013, 8:06 PM
I would buy it and ask questions afterwards.

I bought a Craftsman 10" saw for $60 that works just fine. Had some extra stuff with it too.

If that saw works I can't see how that price can be anything other than a steal.

$65 does not buy much these days. If I needed one, I would buy it...after running it once and cutting some thing with it...

Bill

Joe Shinall
03-21-2013, 9:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I passed on it. I couldn't get out there this week, it's about an hour away and the guy says it runs "OK" which to me means it's probably not worth my time. Gonna wait and just keep shopping for the turret style. There's 2 in my area now on CL but $700 and $750. These things are like gold here.

Aaron Berk
03-24-2013, 12:02 AM
You can always swing by and use my Dewalt 14" model GA...... :D