PDA

View Full Version : Embarking on a new adventure........MAYBE???

Roger Chandler
03-18-2013, 9:29 PM
At the encouragement of a couple of turners....one from one of the local clubs of which I am a member, and one being our own moderator, John Keeton, I am to begin a series of classes at our Community College........"Artists in Business" is the series, and it covers aspects of going from hobbyist to selling your items...........and covers all kinds of business aspects......business license, tax issues, marketing, networking with other artists and venues, internet, social media, etc, etc, etc.

I am doing this because on numerous occasions I have been encouraged to put my turnings in some galleries and shops, and on the internet. I have resisted for several reasons.........time constraints is a big reason [there are periods when I can find little time to turn] .......tax issues and other reasons have kept me just giving my turnings away, [I gave my physician a sassafras bowl today] and just keeping them as well.

This is an exploratory adventure for me to help me determine if I want to pursue selling ..........If I can see the way to do it without taking away from my main priorities and make them compliment, instead of compete with my work, then I may just go for it! Classes begin March 27th.

Any pointers you experienced turners/sellers have that would help me with my perspective..........I would welcome your comments.......thanks! :)

Greg McClurg
03-18-2013, 9:45 PM
Roger, congratulations on your endeavor. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions, but I would love to take the class!

Greg

John Keeton
03-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Roger, I am certainly glad you took the plunge! Regardless of your ultimate decision on selling your work, there is little to lose, but much to gain from this course. No doubt it will broaden your horizon in many areas and compliment your ministry, as well. That said, I think it will give you insight in to making the right decisions regarding your turning.

Best of luck to you!

Roger Chandler
03-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Roger, I am certainly glad you took the plunge! Regardless of your ultimate decision on selling your work, there is little to lose, but much to gain from this course. No doubt it will broaden your horizon in many areas and compliment your ministry, as well. That said, I think it will give you insight in to making the right decisions regarding your turning.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for your encouragement, John.......we shall see what unfolds as I am able to gain a comprehensive overview of the time and effort, record keeping, etc involved .........realistically, I think finding time to turn enough to keep any venues stocked will be my biggest challenge........but we shall see. I can tell you, that I am leaning on the side of doing this............just need to get some things settled in my mind and heart!

David C. Roseman
03-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Roger, this is great! Good for you for taking the initiative! The work I've seen of yours is certainly worthy of any gallery. BTW, I'm assuming the course will also cover insurance. Something often overlooked is that, once a craftsman starts selling his/her work from a home workshop, it becomes a business, and a homeowner's insurance policy may no longer protect against equipment loss (from theft, fire, water damage, etc.), or, more importantly, liability for personal injury or property damage arising from the activity. Many carriers offer an "artisan's policy" as a stand-alone or a rider to cover this kind of thing.

David

Roger Chandler
03-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Roger, this is great! Good for you for taking the initiative! The work I've seen of yours is certainly worthy of any gallery. BTW, I'm assuming the course will also cover insurance. Something often overlooked is that, once a craftsman starts selling his/her work from a home workshop, it becomes a business, and a homeowner's insurance policy may no longer protect against equipment loss (from theft, fire, water damage, etc.), or, more importantly, liability for personal injury or property damage arising from the activity. Many carriers offer an "artisan's policy" as a stand-alone or a rider to cover this kind of thing.

David

Thanks David.......good info! I am aware of the insurance issue....something I will certainly take into account if I make that transition to selling my turnings. There is so much I want to do, but seems I have so little time to devote to it ......for example, I want to do segmented turnings.......I need a lot of time to just do and learn.......hopefully that will come in time, but I have a lot of wood I need to get to.......a good bit I am going to have to cut up into smaller blanks than originally contemplated.........lack of turning time has left them to check on the ends.......I lack for storage space, so I am forced to leave log sections outdoors.......not ideal for sure!

Chip Sutherland
03-18-2013, 10:49 PM
If you haven't joined any local art guilds, do so. Sign artist registries in local galleries. Get on the distribution list for calls for artists. These are the folks you can learn first hand from. The artistic cross-pollination is worth it. I still feel out of place and not much of an artist but I am richer artistically from having participated. The one thing I didn't learn until I got hooked in was that 3-D art (our stuff) is more difficult to display than 2-D. We need pedestals and at times protective cases.

If you think about doing art fairs, there are numerous online forums that will educate on finding, entering, applying, etc. and what type of setup you would need. It's enlightening. The hardest part of art fairs is knowing the lead time early enough to build up or add inventory. Art/gallery shows typically have a limit in the number of pieces you can submit but there is often an 'artistic theme'....which is wide open to interpretation. The 'Call to Artists' will typically have the show prospectus, entry form and other legal stuff. Expect to leave 20-30% with the gallery or art show sponsor if you sell any pieces.

Enjoy yourself.

Steve Vaughan
03-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Roger, that's really cool! Wish I had an opportunity like that, just might have to keep my eyes open to see if something like that comes around here. Good luck with it, and we'll be looking forward to the updates!

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Roger don't know about in Virginia but here in Kansas since I have a hobby business in my shop, half my shop is taxed at commercial rates and the other half is residential. Also even though it is a hobby business I have to have business insurance as my homeowners won't cover it. Since it is a hobby business you can depreicate your equipment on your income taxes if you want plus since I pay half the gas, electricity and water out of the business you can deduct that. Advertising expenses, insurance, professional fee's (AAW, magazines, etc) can also be deducted. I also use GoPayment credit card reader by Intuit. I like it because it sync's with my quickbooks. Just some things to think about and check out in your state.

Roger Chandler
03-19-2013, 9:03 AM
Roger don't know about in Virginia but here in Kansas since I have a hobby business in my shop, half my shop is taxed at commercial rates and the other half is residential. Also even though it is a hobby business I have to have business insurance as my homeowners won't cover it. Since it is a hobby business you can depreicate your equipment on your income taxes if you want plus since I pay half the gas, electricity and water out of the business you can deduct that. Advertising expenses, insurance, professional fee's (AAW, magazines, etc) can also be deducted. I also use GoPayment credit card reader by Intuit. I like it because it sync's with my quickbooks. Just some things to think about and check out in your state.

Thanks for that info Bernie.......helpful indeed! I had in my mind already to purchase Quick Books.........just for my record keeping and thought that if I went the route of selling, that I would likely have a purely business account where I can keep all that separate from the household, etc. Not a bad idea about using the credit/debit card reader.........what kinds of fees do they charge per transaction, if you don't mind me asking?

Thom Sturgill
03-19-2013, 9:27 AM
Roger, as a long time (now retired) IT type, much of my job when talking with 'customers' was to set the proper level of expectations. People always expected us to deliver more than we could, or way less, because they did not understand the complexities. I think many entrepreneurs fall into the same problem, they do not know what the realities are and their expectations are unrealistic.

These courses should help a lot but check out the instructors credentials at actually running a business. Coming from a Community College background, I can say that many instructors fall into the 'non-practitioner' category where they are simply echoing what they themselves have read. This can be a case where you WANT adjuncts rather than full-time instructors.

charlie knighton
03-19-2013, 9:45 AM
i encourage you Roger, but at the same time do not quit your day job, might want to hear from Robo Hippy

Richard Coers
03-19-2013, 10:12 AM
An important quote and about our work from the furniture maker Wendell Castle; 1. If you are in love with an idea, you are no judge of its beauty or value. Google his 10 rules of thumb.

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Sent you a PM Roger. I do use my quickbooks for business only. I have two companies setup. One for woodworking and one for my antique clocks restoration.

Roger Chandler
03-19-2013, 11:03 AM
i encourage you Roger, but at the same time do not quit your day job, might want to hear from Robo Hippy

No intention of doing that Charlie......my job is more calling than job, I just need to determine if I can fit in a hobby with some income with it.....especially as I move towards the retirement years........perhaps it is the good Lord who is making a way to help me in my later years with something I love to do.....we will see!

Roger Chandler
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Sent you a PM Roger. I do use my quickbooks for business only. I have two companies setup. One for woodworking and one for my antique clocks restoration.

Got it Bernie........appreciate this info!

Roger Chandler
03-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Roger, as a long time (now retired) IT type, much of my job when talking with 'customers' was to set the proper level of expectations. People always expected us to deliver more than we could, or way less, because they did not understand the complexities. I think many entrepreneurs fall into the same problem, they do not know what the realities are and their expectations are unrealistic.

These courses should help a lot but check out the instructors credentials at actually running a business. Coming from a Community College background, I can say that many instructors fall into the 'non-practitioner' category where they are simply echoing what they themselves have read. This can be a case where you WANT adjuncts rather than full-time instructors.

Thanks Thom.......I have been around lots of actual business folks over the years..........I will certainly be realistic in my approach.......also your point about the "non practitioners" is valid for sure..........what is that old saying .......'those who can't talk about it?!"

bob svoboda
03-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Best of luck, Roger. Keep us posted.

Dave Fritz
03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
One issue that is a problem for us and our accountant is inventory. Seems like that's something that should be covered esp. if you buy a lot of pen kits, pepper mill kits, and you purchase wood.

We sure could use a class on that.

Dave F.