PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
05-09-2005, 8:42 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. The weather was good here except for a little rain on Sunday.

Spent Saturday helping Mark Cothren (a fellow ww'ing buddy) get the footing dug for his new ww'ing shop as well as pruning some trees and cutting down two large pine trees that were going to be too close to the shop. Sunday was spent at church and then rest and family time Sunday afternoon and evening.

In all, it was a good weekend.

So what did you do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all....

Frank Pellow
05-09-2005, 8:48 AM
I turned 13 piles of debris into 11.

Now that the snow has melted and I want to start puting in a vegetable garden, it has become very very evident just how many piles of stuff are left over from my workshop construction last year. Friday night I counted 13 piles of material that I need to do something with. There is also one big pile of clay that needs my attention.

Friday night there were 13 piles of contstruction stuff. Some of that is reuseable, some I can burn in my woodstove, and some I need to dispose of. So what I am going to do is to create three new (organized) piles now then deral with those piles in the autumn.

I worked at the job all day Saturday and half of Sunday, I have 2 of the 3 new piles underway and 4 of the old piles eliminated.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-09-2005, 8:48 AM
Well if it's for a shop I guess I can let the Pines go. :D

I started out Saturday with the last 10% of the desk project for our computers. I am within 1% of having everything done and should finish up today.

Sunday I went to a buddy's house to help him stab a new 350 in his 1974 Monte Carlo. He's shipping it off to the Netherlands this next week (American cars are quite popular overseas).

No Mother's day activity for me (Mom passed in 2000), but today I'll be dropping by some carnations to her gravesite. She loved carnations!

Jim Becker
05-09-2005, 8:52 AM
This weekend was a bit more "shop-focused" than the previous few were. I completed the air system (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20030)on Saturday and got the digital readout installation (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20041)on the J/P completed on Sunday. I also took five minutes and changed out the Tersa knives on the J/P as they were finally "shot". Golly I love those

And then I actually cut some wood, milling a hunk of old barnwood that was originally on the mantle to prepare it to become the "feet" for the under-bench cabinet I'm going to make for my Adjust-A-Bench. I really need some quality Neander and layout tool storage all in one place as these things are currently scattered all over the shop. This gnarly old piece of wood was originally the front apron on the mantle and after removing all the metal (!) it turned into some very nice and hard 1 3/4" thick material...perfect for some bench feet after lamination.

Dr. SWMBO and I also visited with creeker Robert Tarr and his lovely last night, helped them move the fridge into their new kitchen and then enjoyed some wine and cheese while shooting the bull. Robert is a co-worker of mine and will soon have a very serious shop that everyone is going to be drooling over. It's up to him to post pictures one of these days, however... ;)

DVD of the week was Spirited Away, a really nice animated flick.

Andy London
05-09-2005, 9:03 AM
With mothers day, the weekend was dedicated to honey do items.....Built an extension off the deck for a new clothes line pole....one of those simple, straight forward projects that turned into a major ordeal...but it's finished:)

Sunday my 12 yr old daughter and I took a venture down to the fishing warf and picked up some lobster and stuff, then headed to my favorite meat supplier....made pepper steak that would melt on your mouth, boiled lobster, crab and mussles....daughter made a killer cesar salad and my 14 year old son was stuck with the clean up :p

Watched without a paddle Sunday eve....kind of a laid back weekend which doesn't happen near enough.

Ed Lang
05-09-2005, 9:04 AM
My nine year old son asked if I would let him turn a pen...........

The short story is I am taking off from work early today so I can get more shop time with him tonight!

He turned two pens, finished them and assembled them with me only providing support and guidance.

I think I need to tell my wife that there is only "OneWay" to fix this if he continues to use the Jet Mini each night. :)

I"ll snap a picture tonight and post tonight.

Dan Gill
05-09-2005, 9:05 AM
I didn't get much shop time. We had the families of the guys in my men's group over Friday night, my son's birthday party Saturday night, and church and Mother's Day on Sunday. I did get the carcasse of one of my mission dressers put together. And I started on the sword hanger I'm making. I just need to find the right square cut nails now. I'll probably have to mail order them.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-09-2005, 9:08 AM
Not a whole lot of shop time here either. I took off early from work on Friday and got some stuff done. Saturday I spent with my mom and sunday we did some spring cleaning and went to a cookout at loml's parents.

Scott Coffelt
05-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Friday night we watched Sideways, pretty dang funny.

Saturday, while the wife handled a garage sell, I went to buy some lumber. Picked up a sheet of Baltic Birch in 1/4" and 1/2" and also 8 bdft of Wenge, man that Wenge is down right EXPENSIVE .... $14/bdft.

I assmbled a bike trailer (tag-along) for my son to ride behind my bike.

Then off to the shop. I worked on building some drawers to go into the Powder Room cabinet for the new house build.... never to early to start on cabinets. I had to stop because of a TS incident, which I'll post tonight.... no worries, on minor pain involved... OK, serious pain, but I'll recover soon enough.

Saturday night I rested and watched the races.

Sunday was spent replacing some more rotten window trim until the rains stopped me. More rest, still really sore.... developing (as they say in the news)

JayStPeter
05-09-2005, 10:36 AM
No real shop time. Spent most of the weekend visiting the inlaws. My father-in-law did give me one of these (http://www.beavervalleysupply.com/sectionb/encorewalkers.htm) leftover from his defunct lawncare business. 36" deck and big kawi motor should make quick work of my third acre.

I have most of the holes dug for my deck. I hope to get the footer inspections this week and spend next weekend mixing concrete :rolleyes: .

Jay

Matt Meiser
05-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Short weekend for me as I had to fly back from my trip out west on Saturday. With the time change that shot pretty much my whole day. Sunday we stayed home and powerwashed the house and then spent some time in the early evening with my parents.

I probably won't make it back in the shop until next weekend as I have another work trip planned this week. At least its only 1 night this time.

Kurt Aebi
05-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Spent Saturday putting in a new flower box in our front yard for LOML. She love to plant and care for flowers and I like living, so I put in flower boxes with landscape timber edging (so I can weed-whack without cutting down her flowers - that's where the "I like living" part comes in! LOL)

Sunday rained, so finishing up th e flower box was out. So after church, I finished assembling the bee-hive boxes for my father. My mother passed in 1994, so I haven't made my pilgrimage to SW-PA for Mother's day since. LOML's folks live across town, so we took her mother out to dinner.

Today is nice out - so back to the flower box. Gotta haul the Peat Moss & Topsoil over with my new John Deere 20HP lawn tractor and old, old Simplicity dump cart. The next few evenings should find me working on my vegetable garden, tilling and planting seeds. Tomatoes Must wait until Memorial day (fear of frost!). Then I swear, I'm gonna get some shop time in!

Tyler Howell
05-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Just got back into town after a week in Florida for work. No time for play. We were doing 16 hour work days. Nice to get away but also nice to get home. Spent the afternoon with mom then it's time to pack the bag and head out again tomorrow.:o
Take care

Steve Wargo
05-09-2005, 1:31 PM
Having spent two full days teaching last week, I took the weekend to finish up the most recent commission. A little French Polishing, and a few touch ups. It is to be delivered to Rhode Island this coming weekend. While on the the trip up east I'm stopping to visit with Alan Turner in Philly, then the wife and I have two nights in Manhattan (niether of us have ever been to NYC). Then up to deliver the piece, then over to visit Lou Sanslone. Can't wait to see that shop of his. Then a night in Groton, CT and back home. Should be busy, but fun. will post pics on the Neanderthal forum when they come back from the photographer.

Jim O'Dell
05-09-2005, 1:33 PM
Saturday I shopped for Ipe and clearance Bessey clamps (alerted from another forum, but no joy after 5 HD's). Got the Ipe cut and fitted for the shop threshold. Interesting cutting that stuff. Was messmorized by the size of the warehouse at Hogan Hardwoods...that sucker is HUGE!. There was a seim tractor and trailer inside that was dwarfed by the wood in that place.
Sunday threatened rain, so I put off starting on the door construction. Just as I got on track for hanging electrical boxes, I looked out and it was beautiful and clear outside. Went ahead and installed all the boxes, except 3 that will go on clsoet walls that aren't built yet. Pulled down the remainder of the 1/4" ceiling material, tried to fix the gas grill (per LOML's request), then started looking at the door...There's no way this HD plywood will sit flat enough to build a torsion box. I called and got price on 3/8" marine grade plywood. OUCH! almost $50.00 a sheet. Guess I'll have to go looking for some flatter exterior grade plywood. Jim.

Jack Diemer
05-09-2005, 1:51 PM
Started building a blower for my new cyclone motor. Got everything put together, and realized I routed the motor plate groove on the inside instead of the outside of the blower. Tore it apart, and started over, proceded to route the groove on the inside AGAIN :mad: . Finally on the 3rd Try I remembered to flip over the board before I routed in the motor plate groove.

I guess I am a creature of habit. Man this hobby is humbling. How many times has a 2 hour job taken you guys about 6 hours to do. The only thing that somewhat saved me is that I just barely had enough MDF to make two mistakes, had I screwed up again, it would have been off to the Big Box store for more MDF.

The only thing worse that could have happened would be to nearly losing my manhood in a kickback incident over the weekend. (see Scott Coffelt)

Effie Lever
05-09-2005, 1:54 PM
My wife wanted few branches trimmed from a couple of large maples in the front of the house. She took estimates and none came lower then $500. I decided to do it myself and save some money. I bought something called "saw on a pole" by Remington, its a small 10" electric chainsaw attached at the end of an adjustable pole, up to 15' long, the saw can also be used by itself as any other electric chinsaw.<O:p</O:p
I spend most Saturday morning on the roof of our two story house and Sunday completing the cuts from the ground and sizing the heaver logs for the fireplace. It was a lot of work but we now have fire wood for about two winters and I have some money for the next tool purchase.:D <O:p</O:p

Christian Aufreiter
05-09-2005, 2:54 PM
Once again I did a lot less than I wanted to do. I installed a couple of OSB-sheets on one of the shop walls. I hope to store often-used handtools on it. Then I sharpened a bunch of plane blades, chisels and kitchen knives. Finally I started to build a simple suction hose hook for my Festool vac. Should be finished next weekend.

Have a nice week!

Christian

Ron Taylor
05-09-2005, 3:41 PM
Did so much to get so little done.....

Very good friend's daughter getting married Saturday night.... at 6:00 P.M. I had no personal involvement, nothing to do with the wedding, and no reason to spend time on it, but somehow that wedding took up my whole day... sigh!
Sunday, traveled down to Florida to deliver some appliances to a rental house that I'm remodeling, then by the Borg to pick up 5 sheets of 3/4 birch ply for ammo reloading table project and a selection of yellow pine for a glider/swing project. Back home to the shop and got the glider/swing parts cut to dimension while kids and grandkids grilled burgers and dogs. Enjoyed the family feast with the kids' mom and grandmom... all in all, a successfull weekend.

Fred LeBail
05-09-2005, 7:54 PM
Not much shop time...
But we got our Camp "de-winterized". Took off the storm windows, washed the windows and put the screens on. Also hooked up the water which has been disconnected since last fall. I use a Ram pump to push the water up to a tank in the woodshed. It works great.
Watched Salmon fishermen freezing their butts off trying to catch the Big one.
Got home on Sunday and visited with Mom for Mother's day.
A good weekend.
Fred

Fred Voorhees
05-09-2005, 8:03 PM
Continued work on the on-going poker table project - recent pic below - and thankfully, it will be done within a week or so. That took up both Saturday and Sunday AM's. Saturday night it was off to the weekly dirt track modified racing and man, it was a whale of a show. I'm still horse from all of the shouting that I did. I haven't been this horse in ages! Sunday afternoon, myself and a fishing buddy and my brother Dave took to the Delaware River for some annual herring fishing. Half of the reason was a "test float" of my boat. Needed to be sure that the motor was in fine condition and I'm happy to announce that it is. Ready now for the many Sunday morning bass floats in the upper Delaware to start in two or three weeks.

Oh yeah, can't forget that I took the better half out for breakfast Sunday morn for moms day.

John Hart
05-09-2005, 9:38 PM
Spent Saturday out in Amish country trying to work out a deal with a sawmill so I can start selling Turning Blanks on the internet....Sunday, my daughters and I made a spread of food all day and then ate all night. Whew! still recovering..:(

Ed Lang
05-10-2005, 9:02 AM
Now I might need to buy another lathe so I get to turn!

Yesterday he got home from school, did his homework and asked to go back to the shop! I had to run him out to go to bed.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/21723317-S.jpg

Now I need to lower the lathe or build a box for him to stand on. Or let him build the box:D

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/21723340-S.jpg

John Hart
05-10-2005, 9:48 AM
Now there's a happy camper!It never hurts to have a lathe for every member of the family!:D