PDA

View Full Version : Well They're Here And Almost Set UP!

Bill Space
03-18-2013, 8:27 PM
HI,

Well, we all like pictures... so here's a couple. G1023RLWX with home made roll out table...Still have to do the dust collector piping for the router table(s) and perhaps a saw blade guard dust collector...

And the G0490X Jointer...

What a difference as compared to the Craftsman 10" contractors saw and Craftsman 6" jointer they replaced!!!!

A new happy camper! Now to figure out what to do with all the stuff I moved to get these tools where they are. If I ever get my workshop under control I may post a couple more pictures (don't hold your breath...)

Bill

Jim Tabor
03-18-2013, 8:52 PM
Bill,
Looking good! I've had my 1023RL for three months and I'm very pleased with it. Wish I had the space for a roll out table. My shop is limited on space so I use two work tables side by side with my table saw and router on one end, and spindle sander and drum sander on the other end. It works, but not as nice as you're set-up. I do have a question: With two Unifence on your saw, does that mean you have a spare unifence rail standing in the corner you need to sell? Or for that matter, what did you do with the "old" Shop Fox fence?

Bill Space
03-18-2013, 9:11 PM
Jim,

Sharp eye!

The second Unifence will actually go next door to a house I bought and need to renovate, and the rail for that fence is on the Craftsman contractor's saw that the new saw replaced...so no, not for sale, sorry...

The Shop Fox fence that came with the Grizzly saw is new in the box and I an not sure what I will do with it. My original intention was to put it on the contractors saw, in place of the longer Unifence rail that I installed on the Grizzly, which I had on the contractors saw previously. I was going to cut the rail from the shorter Unisaw fence into shorter lenghts (I got a deal on Craig's list) and use them on my bandsaws, or whatever, but I am not at that point yet... and figured I would use the shorter Unisaw on the contractors saw for a while. I love the Unifence, only because it was such an improvement over the original Craftsman fence.

The second house is about 130 yards from my shop so walking back and forth to the tools is not practical...

Bill

Jim Matthews
03-18-2013, 9:24 PM
Love the lumber rack/workbench in the background.

If your shop is like mine, you've got to move half of it to reach any given corner...
It's a tidy layout you've got there, with a central DC collector.

Marty Gulseth
03-18-2013, 9:33 PM
Color me jealous. Nice!
Regards, Marty

Bill Space
Jim,

That pile of stuff on the workbench (which is made from a piece of bowling alley, hard maple)is one of the things I have to put somewhere! Previously it was stored under the roll out table, but I don't want to use that space for that purpose anymore...

"It's a tidy layout you've got there..."

Ha, ha... my wife and kids better not see that comment...they will die laughing!!!

Jim Tabor
Bill,
You should install the Shop Fox on the Craftsman as planned. It's a great fence and you will love it. You should never cut a short unifence to use on a band saw. There are far better things to do with a short unifence. For example, it could be sent to S.E. Missouri. :D

Rod Sheridan
03-19-2013, 8:31 AM
Looks nice Bill.

Do you have any issues with the rollers leading material off in one direction or the other?

Regards, Rod.

Doug Richardson
03-19-2013, 8:53 AM
Nice set up! I wish I had the room to install my jointer right next to the saw like you have.....

Bill Space
03-19-2013, 5:47 PM
Looks nice Bill.

Do you have any issues with the rollers leading material off in one direction or the other?

Regards, Rod.

Rob,

Those rollers are 6' long and made from galvanized fence pipe, with ball bearing in the ends.

The only "issue" I have had, is both a plus and minus.

Since the rollers are on each side of the blade, when feeding the stock through the blade the stock tends to turn the rollers as it rolls over them, and the rollers will pull the stock forward (both pieces). This is a plus as the material on each side of the blade is pulled past the blade.

The negative is should you pull back on the piece that is to the left of the blade, the rollers will turn backwards and move the piece that was cut on the right side of the blade back towards the blade. This is a negative, but not hard to deal with once you realize it will happen.

I considered making a modification that would split the rollers at the mid point, so half would be on each side of the blade and independent of each other, but really never did it because the benefit did not seem to warrant the effort required to make that happen.

I have not experienced any tendency for the rollers to pull the material sideways, but I have aligned them to be perpendicular to the direction of travel of the material as it passes past the saw blade.

Bill

Bill Space
03-19-2013, 5:53 PM
Nice set up! I wish I had the room to install my jointer right next to the saw like you have.....

Doug,

That was the ONLY place I had to put the jointer! But I think it is a good location. My little Craftsman jointer could stay there all the time as I cut the legs off so it was low enough that material could pass over it when cut on the table saw (large stuff like 4x8 sheets) on the rare occasions I needed to do that.

With the Grizzly jointer, I will need to move it if that need arises. But that is simple to do since it has a built in mobile base. The dust collector pipe can be removed in seconds, so that is not an issue either. I like the location next to the saw but can't claim that anything other than "there was no other place to put it" as the reason it is there...

Bill