PDA

View Full Version : Minimax FS41Elite Mobile Base?

Chris Padilla
03-18-2013, 7:49 PM
What solutions for those of you who own this fine piece of jointer/planer equipment have for a mobile base?

I have the tow bar of course but you are limited in the direction of movement and I need more freedom.

I tried the fancy heavy-duty casters from Great Lakes and Zambus and they worked fine for a short period of time.

The attachment point for the caster (M12? M14? I forget...been a while) on this fine piece of woodworking machinery didn't last very long. From what I can see, it almost looks like they simply tack-welded a nut in there for caster attachment points and one of them simply broke off when I was wheeling the white aircraft carrier around my garage. It was back to the tow bar. :(

So I either need to get this attachment point fixed (I'm not a welder and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express) or figure out some kind of a mobile base to set my machine into. I guess I should jack up one end of the j/p and take a good look under it.

I don't see ANY commercially-made mobile bases that will take a 1/2 ton AND the goofy 36" by 24" on one side and something like 30" on the other side.

Thoughts?

Erik Loza
03-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Chris, I have thought about this as well. My feeling is that your best bet would be to simply create two "axles" (a-la the MM-series bandsaws) and bolt them transversely, across the "feet" of the FS41. It would be easy enough to through-drill the holes on the feet of the FS41 and then likewise do this with a couple of pieces of square steel tubing. Bolt the axles to the feet on the FS41, then drill each of the four ends of the square steel channel with a vertical hole and bolt some Zambus or Great Lakes casters through them. Would add a few inches of height to the machine but not much. Anyway, this is how I might do it. Of course, if you have access to a welder, we could really explore options.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Chris Padilla
03-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Erik!

I'm glad you found this post...I was hoping you'd see it. That is a pretty good idea. Those casters bolted under the machine did raise it a bit more than I cared but for the mobility it provided: totally worth it. I will look into your idea.

Yeah, welding is one trade I have not gotten my hands around but I say I'm going to learn it one of these days but I guess that day hasn't shown up yet. :)

David Wong
03-19-2013, 1:15 AM
Chris,

I recently posted my mobile base that I use on my bandsaw. I used the holes on the side where the mobility kit axles were mounted. Instead, I bolted square metal tubing together and mounted leveling casters. The height gain on my bandsaw was less than 1". I ordered the tubing from onlinemetals.com, cut-to length. Just had to drill some holes, paint the tubing, and bolt everything together. On my bandsaw, it also gave it a wider stance, for a little more stability when rolling around.

See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?200340-Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Bases&p=2078583#post2078583

Erik Loza
03-19-2013, 7:59 AM
Chris,

I recently posted my mobile base that I use on my bandsaw. I used the holes on the side where the mobility kit axles were mounted. Instead, I bolted square metal tubing together and mounted leveling casters. The height gain on my bandsaw was less than 1". I ordered the tubing from onlinemetals.com, cut-to length. Just had to drill some holes, paint the tubing, and bolt everything together. On my bandsaw, it also gave it a wider stance, for a little more stability when rolling around.

See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?200340-Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Bases&p=2078583#post2078583

I was hoping you would post pics, here. I like your mobile base A LOT!

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Rod Sheridan
03-19-2013, 8:21 AM
I'm convinced that MiniMax and Felder make equipment for square shops, as I had the same mobility issue with my Hammer A3-31.

Here's my home made solution to the problem.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?88687-Hammer-A3-31-Mobile-Base&highlight=Hammer+a3-31+mobile+base

Regards, Rod.

Chris Padilla
03-19-2013, 4:38 PM
Yes, I do love this place!! Great ideas, wonderful execution! I see now how I can still use those spendy casters I have. Thanks a bunch!!! :) :) :)

Chris Padilla
03-19-2013, 4:48 PM
Chris,

David, do you recall what specific steel and size you ordered? I am blown away by the different types of steel available!!

Chris Padilla
03-19-2013, 4:58 PM
Okay, I'm going to guess you got the A500/A513 hot-rolled square and rectangular tube. It looks like you painted yours as well?

David Wong
03-19-2013, 5:59 PM
This is from my order email...

PRODUCTS
2 pieces @ $12.40/piece
Mild Steel A36
Hot Rolled Rectangle Tube
1" x 2" x 0.12"
Cut to: 24"
-------------------------------------------------
2 pieces @ $20.81/piece
Mild Steel A36
Hot Rolled Rectangle Tube
1.5" x 2" x 0.12"
Cut to: 36"

The 1" x 2" was a little narrow so it made it difficult to thread the bolt on the caster. I used 5/8" bolts to hang the tubing to the machine's base. In my case, the holes where pre-existing, so I used a couple of blind hole transfer spotters (I purchased from Enco) to mark the location of the holes on the tubing. I inserted the 5/8" bolt with the head on the inside of the base. Then I used a nut to lock it to the frame, then added the tubing, then another nut (w/washer). The cross member was bolted with a 3/8" bolt. I got all the bolts from my local home depot. The casters are Great Lakes GD-60S, rated 550lbs each. The tubing is painted with a Rustoleum black paint.

In the 2 or 3 years I have had it, it has not loosened up, but I do not roll it around much. Honestly, the reason I built the base this way was because I could not weld. I only felt safe hanging the base by the side because the holes were meant for the factory mobility kit.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-IFGl7HCZ3ro/UUjc1FKosoI/AAAAAAAAAUU/1oI-5b4QjyA/s969/DSCF4158.jpg

Chris Padilla
03-19-2013, 6:58 PM
Interesting...they don't have A36 available in tube form any longer...only the steel type I posted. Anyway, thanks a bunch...I'm all full of ideas now so I need to go do some measuring and further thinking. :)

Matthew Rock
03-19-2013, 11:25 PM
I have mini pallet jack to move an FS 41 Classic, my shop floors are not the best and the pallet jack allows me to move it pretty easily.

Link:http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Pallet-Jack-1-000-lb-/H6287

It has a 15" width (31" depth) and can be used for more than one machine, or anything else for that matter.