PDA

View Full Version : New Honing Station complete

Matthew N. Masail
03-18-2013, 6:13 PM
Since I ordered new stones I needed to put together a sharpening station that would be fit of nice stones, my previous one would just get
them all in a mess.

It's funny how things happen but I've been collecting old cabinet parts, mostly ply, hoping to get enough good stuff to make it. then on the way to work I come across something perfect... all I had to to was add a top and refit the drawers, and reinforce all the joints (screws and glue).

came out really nice I think, and really practical. I learnt a lot from my first station and all the small details make it a comfortable place to work. one thing I like is that the stones are soaked outside the pond, then the pond is used just to clean the stones before putting them away. the container that holds the 1200 stone sits inside another container of the same size than is screwed to the shelf, acting as a holder.

Thanks to Stu for the wonderful stones! a set of Sigmas plus a New Carex combo stone. Stu makes it a pleasure to order from Japan.

Steve Friedman
03-18-2013, 6:43 PM
Matthew, nice setup. I really like the basin set into the top. Do you soak all the stones in the container that's holding the 1200?

Not sure if you store the other stones in the open like that, but you may want to cover them if you're using the grinder.

I assume the Cerax combo stone is the smaller one on the countertop. Is that the 400/800 grit?

Steve

Gary Hodgin
03-18-2013, 6:57 PM
Nice station!

David Wong
03-18-2013, 9:43 PM
That is really neat, but my sharpening routine must be quite a bit messier than yours. I use a lot of water cleaning off the diamond plates, and washing off swarf from the waterstones.

Matthew N. Masail
03-19-2013, 1:31 AM
Thanks for the comments (-:

Steve, I only plan on soaking the 1200. the 6000 and 13000 sigmas I plan on leaving some standing
water on the surface while I'm using the 1200. If I want I can always add more containers next to the 1200, since
you brought up the grinder point I might do that, but the grinder throws everything down so I'm not sure how much of a need it is.

you right the small one on top is the Cerax, it has a container in the top drawer for soaking. it's actually the 1000-3000 for sharpening. I got it for small blades, knives
and as a portable stone. I've also been teaching newcomers how to sharpen and use planes lately so I thought this would be a good solution for them to get started,
but have to try it first.

David, when I was using kings they were a mess, but I don't expect the hard ceramic stones to be nearly as messy. even then when using the kings I just rinse
my diamond plate of in the round orange tub, hasn't been much of a problem.but If I were using messy stones I would probably have 2 tubs, with a stone holder over one of them.
I'm guessing you have a sink? using a lot of water is a luxury really (-:

David Wong
03-19-2013, 2:45 AM
Thanks for the comments (-:

David, when I was using kings they were a mess, but I don't expect the hard ceramic stones to be nearly as messy. even then when using the kings I just rinse
my diamond plate of in the round orange tub, hasn't been much of a problem.but If I were using messy stones I would probably have 2 tubs, with a stone holder over one of them.
I'm guessing you have a sink? using a lot of water is a luxury really (-:

Hi Matthew,

I do use King stones, and Shaptons, Sigmas, and natural stones. I (sort of) enjoy sharpening, and use different stones for different blades and activities. My biggest mess makers are rinsing the atoma diamond plates after flattening, and rinsing stones of their swarf. I am lucky enough to have a small sink in my garage, but I use a tub and water bottle for my sharpening.

My sharpening station:

Derek Cohen
03-19-2013, 7:30 AM
Hi Matthew

Your sharpening stone set up looks great! Good height and looks unencumbered.

My concern would be where your grinder goes. These dry high speed grinders through out a lot of grit, and this is likely to get into everything within a foot of it. How about boxing it in? That way the grit can only go forwards.

I keep my dry grinder on the further side of my sharpening centre for this reason. The Tormek does not throw up grit.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ImagesOfMyWoodshop_html_m1c8b6ffd.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Charlie Stanford
03-19-2013, 7:40 AM
Since I ordered new stones I needed to put together a sharpening station that would be fit of nice stones, my previous one would just get
them all in a mess.

It's funny how things happen but I've been collecting old cabinet parts, mostly ply, hoping to get enough good stuff to make it. then on the way to work I come across something perfect... all I had to to was add a top and refit the drawers, and reinforce all the joints (screws and glue).

came out really nice I think, and really practical. I learnt a lot from my first station and all the small details make it a comfortable place to work. one thing I like is that the stones are soaked outside the pond, then the pond is used just to clean the stones before putting them away. the container that holds the 1200 stone sits inside another container of the same size than is screwed to the shelf, acting as a holder.

Thanks to Stu for the wonderful stones! a set of Sigmas plus a New Carex combo stone. Stu makes it a pleasure to order from Japan.

The positioning of the grinder looks odd - like you'd have to lean over and around to use it. agree with Derek: because of the flying grit, especially when you dress the wheels, I'd have it well away from where the stones will live out their lives. I wouldn't bother trying to contain it, I'd move it elsewhere. Put it on a stand by itself. If it was a wet grinder you might try containment, dry grinder - no way.

Do you have a need to grind lathe tools also? The positioning of your grinder would never work for a lathe tool. There's no room to accommodate the handles. Think down the road.

Chris Griggs
03-19-2013, 8:20 AM
Very nice sharpening station Matthew.

Yes keep your grinder away from, well, everything. 3 or 4 milk crates stacked up on each other make a great grinder stand, I wasn't sure it would be stable, but its been working great. The grinders feet fall into the openings and do a nice job of stopping the grinder from walking off. For extra stability tie the crates together with zip ties. My wife is a teacher and brings milk crates home for me, and as such they have become one of my main methods of shop storage and stands. They make nice shelving units too if you zip tie them together on their sides with the openings facing out. Useful cheap easy storage if you can get them for free.

David Weaver
03-19-2013, 8:27 AM
HF has a grinder stand that works fine. It's not a million dollar item, but it doesn't cost like one, either. It's a good way to take that grinder and put it in a corner of a garage somewhere that the grit doesn't matter, and it has holes to let you bolt the grinder to it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-grinder-stand-42986.html

Bit wobbly, but less than $25 with the coupons they have going continuously. A tube of jbweld would end the wobble.

Steve Friedman
03-19-2013, 9:00 AM
My sharpening station:
David,

Is the plastic tub removable? If not, how do you drain it and change the water? I don't have a sink and am constantly searching for a solution. I like the size of yours and the ability to lay the stones over the dry sink. Very clever.

Steve

Larry Fox
03-19-2013, 9:10 AM
Matthew - very nice looking station but I do share the concern of some of the other posters regarding the grinder position. Also, do you sharpen on the table or do you use it just to contain the mess? I ask because it appears to be a pretty high bench and I find a lower one gives me more control - everyone is different though. Anything dedicated to sharpening that allows you to contain the mess is a huge win though. Link to my station below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?188610

Matthew N. Masail
03-19-2013, 9:45 AM
I took to the shop to see what I do first about protecting the stones... I just made lids:

The grinder position is ideal for me comfort wise, it's the same as my previous station, it lets me stand slightly behind the grinder so I can see the contact between
the wheel and the tool, no turning tools. bottom line is I don't have any other option to locate it where is wouldn't be closer to wood or in the way. it's a small shop (a bedroom).
I don't know if you saw it but there is a plywood back to catch the grit flying behind the grinder. maybe I could make a angled roof also? do you think that would help?

David that looks very similar to what I had before. works great. But yours does seems really much more messy than I got. maybe I cleaned more often? do you find the sigmas\shaptons messy too? I agree the flattening is the "worst" part. I'm also sure if I had a sink and a tap I'd get used to it and wonder what I did before. but I really don't find sharpening uncomfortable at all, the mess is moderate if you take care of it. I use baby wipes to clean . . . .:)

Larry that is sweet ! I plan to sharpen on the suhiro (sp?) tray without the black rubbers, so it's pretty much directly at table height. height of the table is less than my previous one, which I wanted. I'll see if it's ok, since I found a used unit I didn't have much play without altering it, which wouldn't be hard but it's lower than it was a feels good so I left it. I wanted to find a balance between bending the arms and bending the back, but maybe I'd benefit from more "body over the tool". do you bend over the station of sit on your knees?

Derek you have a station as big as my whole bench area :) lol nice sun light too!

David Weaver
03-19-2013, 9:55 AM
I just realized I made the suggestion for a grinder stand that's definitely not available in israel. If you use it with the ply and grit's not a problem, that's pretty much the conclusion regardless of how much internet armchair quarterbacking we all might do about hypothetical grit. Proof in practice is hard to beat.

Matthew N. Masail
03-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks, your right. I only ever had to clean grit off the table top, mostly under the grinder. the wheel sends it all down and back.
I let the suggestion for the stand go :) I don't expect anyone to remember where I am. that is a really good price though.

Charlie Stanford
03-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks, your right. I only ever had to clean grit off the table top, mostly under the grinder. the wheel sends it all down and back.
I let the suggestion for the stand go :) I don't expect anyone to remember where I am. that is a really good price though.

The next time you dress a wheel turn off the lights in your shop except for a small lamp or flashlight at a raking angle near your sharpening station. If you don't think grit is flying everywhere this little exercise will quickly disabuse you of that notion.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
As far as height goes, I find kitchen counter height perfect. My kitchen counter is 36 1/2" inches, plus probably an inch or two of height between the thickness of the stones and the holder I use - it lets me lock my arms parallel to the ground, helping to maintain a constant angle, and then most of my motion is in my hips and legs.

As far as grinders go, I'm in a similar situation - I work in a spare bedroom and have to set my grinder up on my benchtop, and then try and vacuum all the mess up. The mess of grinding isn't bad, but the cloud of dust that flies everywhere when I dress the wheels is a pain.

Mark Roderick
03-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Naturally, Derek has the perfect setup. For me the sink is a must.

Gabe Shackle
03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
What about a fold up sawhood for keeping the grinder dust contained? I know they make one specifically for chop saws and it's a bit on the pricey side but it seems like something that could be fabricated by a determined individual without too much effort. I believe the one I'm thinking of is called FastCap.

Matthew N. Masail
03-19-2013, 1:29 PM
The next time you dress a wheel turn off the lights in your shop except for a small lamp or flashlight at a raking angle near your sharpening station. If you don't think grit is flying everywhere this little exercise will quickly disabuse you of that notion.

Funny you mention the one thing that does fly everywhere. anyway even that hasn't been a problem for me, how hard is it wipe of some particles from the table?
I was (obviously) talking about grinding plane blades and other tools, the mess is largely contained. maybe it's the air flow from shape of the wheel guards on my grinder who knows.

Matthew N. Masail
03-19-2013, 1:31 PM
What about a fold up sawhood for keeping the grinder dust contained? I know they make one specifically for chop saws and it's a bit on the pricey side but it seems like something that could be fabricated by a determined individual without too much effort. I believe the one I'm thinking of is called FastCap.

It's a good idea, but... overkill? would look kinda funny - my grinder is in quarantine :p

Gabe Shackle
03-19-2013, 1:33 PM
Definitely would be overkill to use that full size FastCap one. But I'd imagine you could make a smaller one that was just big enough to cover the grinder and leave a bit of working room. Then fold it back down out of the way. The few times I've done any decent amount of grinding my garage was a nightmare to clean and I ended up just doing it outside in the yard with an extension cord.

Charlie Stanford
03-19-2013, 6:00 PM
Funny you mention the one thing that does fly everywhere. anyway even that hasn't been a problem for me, how hard is it wipe of some particles from the table?
I was (obviously) talking about grinding plane blades and other tools, the mess is largely contained. maybe it's the air flow from shape of the wheel guards on my grinder who knows.

Carry on brother.

David Wong
03-19-2013, 6:06 PM
David,

Is the plastic tub removable? If not, how do you drain it and change the water? I don't have a sink and am constantly searching for a solution. I like the size of yours and the ability to lay the stones over the dry sink. Very clever.

Steve

Steve,

Yes the tub is removable. I generally wait quite a while before emptying it. I will pour off most of the water and use disposable shop towels to wipe up the "mud", so it does not go down the sink. I simply built a frame with a 2x8 around the tub.