PDA

View Full Version : Dunlap/West German planes?

steven c newman
03-18-2013, 4:21 PM
Ok, now I have two of these, a #3 with a York pitch, and now a #5 with the same pitch on the frog? :eek:257450this is the base, notice the area where the frog seats? Base of the frog itself is flat. 257451and is an exact copy of the one on the #3 just a hair wider. Same brass wheel, too. The lever caps are the same size though. Just that bolt to tighten them down with. Red handles were on both, as well. Is this a "special" line of planes by Dunlap?:confused: The #5 cleaned up nicely, though.257452257453 Makes a nice set, with the #3257454 So, what is it about these Dunlap planes? The West German irons are quite thick. Both of mine have that 50 degree forward lean in the frog. And, was there a #4 size out there? Any info on these. :confused:

steven c newman
03-18-2013, 7:16 PM
Just got through working on the Dunlap Jack plane. It will NOW produce see-through shavings in Oak! I compared the frogs of the two Dunlaps I have. Other than being sized to fit the wider body of the jack plane, they are the same. I had to back the bolt to the wheel out a bit, and set the frog all the way to the rear. Now it acts like a smooth plane. And, NO chatter! I tried a "normal " lever cap from a #4 i have. It does fit, and it fits right down on the edge of the iron!. Tried the iron/CB from that normal #4, it didn't fit! It was just a fat 1/32" too wide! Maybe I have a "Metric" Jack plane? The two cap irons are the same, exactly. I can place either one on the jack or the #3 Dunlap, doesn't matter. Just looks a might weird, to see a 1-3/4" wide lever cap iron on a #5 Jack plane. Any sourses for a #4 cap iron?

steven c newman
03-18-2013, 8:52 PM
Ok, how about a few pictures of these two making some Oak Shavings?257486257487257488two of the #5, and a singleton of the #3. Irons are not cambered on either plane. As for them shavings257489 I might have these two tuned up for work?

steven c newman
03-21-2013, 12:28 PM
I was checking on Ebay yesterday, trying to find a #4 size of one of these......NADA! Neither were there any larger sizes like these. Maybe these were a "special" two plane set? Might add a different adjuster wheel to the #5, seems a little worn in the brass thread area. Might have an "up-grade" handy. IF the threads match....

The #5 has a lot of Millers Falls looks in it, as well. While I'm at it, maybe a new tote? Maybe go with a low knob? Or, just leave "Vintage"?

David Weaver
03-21-2013, 2:47 PM
The #5 has a lot of Millers Falls looks in it, as well.

Somewhere there are offended high quality millers falls planes.

A lot of those plane shaped objects were probably made in size 5 only because their distribution was never to go past the shelf in the local hardware stores to folks who wouldn't know what to do with a smooth plane (but who may have had interest in planing a door).

Mel Fulks
03-21-2013, 5:52 PM
Forty years ago I bought a used MILLERS FALLS smoothing plane in perfect condition .I couldn't get it to work .Bought a used STANLEY and it worked ,and still works beautifully. Sold the MF for the few dollars I had in it. The guy I sold it to could never get it to work either. The iron sharpened up ok ,it just wouldn't cut .I have to wonder if I had it now ,would I be able to figure out what was wrong?

steven c newman
03-21-2013, 7:45 PM
I have two Millers falls planes from about that time257843A "V" line 900 that can make paper thin shavings257844and a type 4 #8. It can make even better shavings. I like these two MUCH better than the Stanleys I used to have. The two Dunlaps are right behind these two, as far as usage.

David Weaver
03-22-2013, 7:59 AM
Forty years ago I bought a used MILLERS FALLS smoothing plane in perfect condition .I couldn't get it to work .Bought a used STANLEY and it worked ,and still works beautifully. Sold the MF for the few dollars I had in it. The guy I sold it to could never get it to work either. The iron sharpened up ok ,it just wouldn't cut .I have to wonder if I had it now ,would I be able to figure out what was wrong?

I'm sure you'd be able to figure it out. They're pretty good planes. I wouldn't be surprised if the tote shrank and felt tight when you were inspecting it, but wasn't in use. I've had a couple of smoothers like that, the handle is oscillating on the screw in use, but you can't tell because it takes planing pressure to get it to move and it feels tight on the plane when you check it, and you double check the frog and lever cap and front knob and they're all fine, too.

Jim Koepke
03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm sure you'd be able to figure it out. They're pretty good planes.

In most cases this is true. Though there has been a plane or two that has come my way that were just not salvageable. Sometimes interchangeable parts aren't. Sometimes the QC inspector takes a break.

jtk

steven c newman
03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Question asked: Why would someone grind the seat for a frog like that? In the #3 size, it makes the frog a York Pitch. Still looking at the Jack plane, but it has the same base for the frog257903 note how the seat is ground at an angle? It is the same on both of these Dunlaps.257904Designed that way???