PDA

View Full Version : stain and poly surprize??

larry merlau
05-09-2005, 7:27 AM
i had a surprize this wknd, had stain bleed threw 3 coats of wipe on poly made droplets of stain like it was sweating.???? had stained let stand for 10 mins wiped off excess, then 24 hours later applied poly to one side then next day applied to other side then continued till 3 coats were applied sanded between the second and last coat with 400 grit.. had dry touch in the sat am early put out in the sun to get some more curing for about 2 or 3 hours when going to get them, i noticed the sweating??any ideas what caused it. this was in red oak. oil base stain and oil base poly. thanks fo rthe replies..and bart i wasnt trying to be first again ,i just need to get some answers, this one baffled me.doesnt take much :D

John Miliunas
05-09-2005, 8:29 AM
Larry, just a guess on my behalf here, but I can't help but wonder if your original application wasn't thoroughly dry, yet. You need to remember that Oak has those large "veins" in it, which can easily "store" more stain than might meet the eye right off the get-go. Again, only a guess...:) :cool: