PDA

View Full Version : Small Cherry Box

Toby Bouder
03-18-2013, 2:24 PM
This is one of my favorites. From a very old piece of 6" diameter firewood that I saved years ago, it was very rotted on the outside but I could see the core was still solid. This is what was left after I turned away all of the bad wood. I made grooves with a parting tool then used a wire to burn them. 2 1/2" wide by 3 3/4" high, finished with walnut oil. C&C welcome. Thanks.

art pfenn
03-18-2013, 2:42 PM
I like the way you made the top, the little lip seems to hide where the top actually is. The burned groove draws the eye away from the lip.

Gordon Eyre
03-18-2013, 3:09 PM
Very pleasing lines, I like it.

Harry Robinette
03-18-2013, 7:08 PM
Their looking better all the time.

Mark Detrick
03-18-2013, 7:47 PM
I really like the design and the burning really sets it off.

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Really nice box. I do like the burning.

Peter Fabricius
03-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Hi Toby;
That is a really nice box shape and I like the way the lid fits over the rim...
Now, wouldn't it be nice if that lid was fitted with threading to the box? You have given me an idea for changing the way I make the tenon on the box for threading. I find that I have to cut the tenon smaller than I really want to allow the box lid lip to be thick enough to allow the threading inside the recess of the lid.
If I try to cut a larger diameter tenon and then fit the lid to that I will have to make the lid diameter larger in order for the lid lip to be big enough for the threading to hold without splitting the lid lip...... Possible? Yes it is! and the lid would then be trimmed to fit like yours with some overhang that would be a design feature.
Neat, thanks for the inspiration.
I have attached a picture of some small boxes with threaded lids that I made as samples for a Demo that I did for the Burlington, Ontario, Golden Horseshoe Woodturners Guild on 21 Feb 13.
Peter F.

Toby Bouder
03-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Hi Toby;
That is a really nice box shape and I like the way the lid fits over the rim...
Now, wouldn't it be nice if that lid was fitted with threading to the box? You have given me an idea for changing the way I make the tenon on the box for threading. I find that I have to cut the tenon smaller than I really want to allow the box lid lip to be thick enough to allow the threading inside the recess of the lid.
If I try to cut a larger diameter tenon and then fit the lid to that I will have to make the lid diameter larger in order for the lid lip to be big enough for the threading to hold without splitting the lid lip...... Possible? Yes it is! and the lid would then be trimmed to fit like yours with some overhang that would be a design feature.
Neat, thanks for the inspiration.
I have attached a picture of some small boxes with threaded lids that I made as samples for a Demo that I did for the Burlington, Ontario, Golden Horseshoe Woodturners Guild on 21 Feb 13.
Peter F.
Hi Peter, glad that I sparked an idea for you. Your boxes are beautiful! I am just getting started making boxes and have not done any threading yet. Maybe in the future. BTW what are the two boxes with the protrusions in the bottoms used for?

bob svoboda
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Another nice box, Toby.

Peter Fabricius
03-19-2013, 1:48 PM
Hi again Toby; I am using the EZ Threading Jig for the threads and the little posts in the bottom of the boxes is for Rings. These two were prototypes for a customer that wanted "thousands" (her word) of these for high end rings. When I did these and said they would be $20.00 each. I never heard from the person again. Looking forward to trying the new technique for the lids to fit on the boxes. Peter F.

Pat Scott
03-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I like your box. But if I could offer a small suggestion that in my opinion would make it look even better...

The blue lines are all about the same angle - which is good. If the bottom two angles were different too much it would stand out like a sore thumb.

But the yellow and red lines contradict the other (blue) angles that you've already established. My eye was immediately drawn to this area as soon as I looked at the picture. If the solid red line were angled inward more, just that little bit would help the curves flow. At a minimum make the solid red angle the same as the body (dashed red line).

Another idea is the yellow line is pretty much straight up and down. Make the yellow angle the same as the blue angle above it, and then make the solid red match the dashed red.257636

Toby Bouder
03-20-2013, 1:31 PM
I like your box. But if I could offer a small suggestion that in my opinion would make it look even better...

The blue lines are all about the same angle - which is good. If the bottom two angles were different too much it would stand out like a sore thumb.

But the yellow and red lines contradict the other (blue) angles that you've already established. My eye was immediately drawn to this area as soon as I looked at the picture. If the solid red line were angled inward more, just that little bit would help the curves flow. At a minimum make the solid red angle the same as the body (dashed red line).

Another idea is the yellow line is pretty much straight up and down. Make the yellow angle the same as the blue angle above it, and then make the solid red match the dashed red.257636

Hello Pat, thanks for taking the time to critique my work. I am fairly new to turning and really new at turning boxes. When I was turning this box I wasn't even thinking about angles, I was just happy that I could get the piece done. After reading your suggestions I realize now that I need to slow down and think about what I am doing so that I can make a better looking form. Thanks again, and hopefully I can apply this lesson to all of my future turning.

Toby