PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly make a profile grinder?

dirk martin
03-18-2013, 12:54 PM
I did a search on Grizzly's website, to see if they sell a grinder of some sorts, to make shaper/moulder knives...and I couldn't find anything. Seems odd, as I thought they'd indeed have such a machine.

Anyone know if they make one, and if so, have you used it?

Jeff Duncan
03-18-2013, 2:45 PM
If your thinking about actual profile grinders they are pretty specialized machines that run many thousands of dollars. Most of the used ones I see are still well in excess of $5k. Grizzly mostly goes for machines they can sell a lot of so I don't think they'd go that route unless they could make one cheap enough for even small shops to buy. In general larger shops that run a lot of molding and have a lot of capital to invest are the ones buying profile grinders.

Now alternatively you can grind your own knives on a bench grinder, however it takes a bit of skill and a LOT of time as corrugated steel is pretty thick and hard to grind. If that's a route your interested in you can find some good info out there, and there's at least one video on youtube of a guy grinding his own knives. IME it's usually not worth the time never mind the cost of the steel vs what it costs me to have the local shop to do them. Thinner knives like found on the Euro blocks are a different story;)

good luck,
JeffD

Mel Fulks
03-18-2013, 2:55 PM
The idea of that company making a profile grinder makes my head hurt. The grinders can actually be pretty cheap used but they take a lot of room ,and really work best in their own little room. They need to be kept clean.

dirk martin
03-18-2013, 4:28 PM
The idea of that company making a profile grinder makes my head hurt. The grinders can actually be pretty cheap used but they take a lot of room ,and really work best in their own little room. They need to be kept clean.

I've seen several, in shops, where I'll go to pickup lumber, or what-not....and they're always filthy!

Rick Lizek
03-18-2013, 4:44 PM
Have used several commercial ones over the years and know how grind them on a regular grinder. There's special compensation factor to know as the comes out on a chord and not the center of the head. www.vieltools.com has a low budget profile grinder. I'm sure I could make it work as have done it before but hear folks struggle with it.

Why would you assume grizzly has one if you couldn't find it? Pretty certain I've never seen one in their catalog and I would have noticed that for sure.

Mel Fulks
03-18-2013, 4:49 PM
Dirk,you are exactly right ,they end up being the affordable ones .Parts for them are real expensive. When you are using them you're supposed to use one of the fluid hoses to rinse spindle to remove wheel grit before putting a head on or removing it.I worked for a guy for seven years who did a lot of his own grinding. He NEVER rinsed. When I quit the heads were sloppy and no longer a precision fit. He had bought the moulder and grinder new just before I started working there.