PDA

View Full Version : Auction pre-gloat?

Dan Forman
05-09-2005, 5:34 AM
Well I survived my first experience with eBay, can see how some might get hooked there. I managed to win 2 out of 4, but am wondering how I did. You can be honest if you think I paid too much.

Stanley transitional plane #24 ( a smoother) with sweetheart blade for $35.88

Stanley #51 Sweetheart spokeshave for 22.20

I missed a trasitonal 22" jointer plane, and what appeared to be an old Stanley Bailey #3 smoother. I didn't make it back in time to bid again on the #3, and it went for a mere $17.00 and change. I know I could have placed a higher max bid, but I thought I would be able to be there at the end, and I didn't really know how much I wanted to spend on it. RATS!

I was hoping to get that 22" jointer, but didn't have a good idea of how much I should spend on such a thing. I had the top bid, but it didn't meet the reserve. Anyone have any idea what one should pay for such a thing in reasonably good condition, for a user, not collection? I saw Bob Smalser's thread on how to rehab one, looks manageable.

I watched two refurbished stanley #7's and a #8 go unclaimed for not meeting the reserve, with bids above $60, all from the same seller, and from my own town.

All in all, it was an interesting educational experience.

Dan

Scott Loven
05-09-2005, 7:39 AM
Ask the guy what he wants for the ones that didnt meet the reserve.
Scott

Dan Forman
05-09-2005, 5:30 PM
Scot---I was going to do that, but don't know if it is allowed. There is a massage when you go to email someone from the site that warns against trying to make offers directly, don't know if if that is only while auctions age still going on or what. Maybe I will try to clarify that with eBay.

Dan

Clay Craig
05-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Dan,

You're not technically supposed to solicit to buy from him 'off ebay,' but he IS allowed to send you a 'Second Chance' offer - essentially an offer to lower his reserve. So, to be strictly within the rules, you could write him and ask for a second-chance offer to be submitted.

Or, you could just offer to buy it, off the bay - they frown on it slightly, but in truth, I've been known to do it, though not more'n once or twice ... a week ...

Clay