PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Local kiln space for rent?

David Wadstrup
03-18-2013, 11:23 AM
This is a long shot, I know. I have a 6' x 20" slab of myrtle that appears to be the home of a number of powder post beetles. I brought it home about 3 weeks ago and have since noticed about 20 tell tale exit holes. Anyways, I'd really like to keep this board, and am looking for a kiln space to rent. I live in Brooklyn, so making my own(solar or otherwise) isn't really an option. Does anyone know of a local place that would let me rent 48 hours worth of time in a 140 degree kiln?

Thanks!

David

Dan Hintz
03-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Just call around to the (semi-)local sawyers... I'm sure one or two of them won't mind you adding in a few extra boards.

Bill Space
03-18-2013, 7:19 PM
Hi,

6' x 20" is not that big. 140 degrees F is not that hot.

Couldn't you make a plywood box to go over it, put a some 100 watt light bulbs inside, cover it with some insulation, and check the temp with a thermometer to make sure it does not get too high...and let things sit like that for a few days? I bet you could do it yourself easily...even in the living room but better on the basement floor, or wherever.

Just a thought...you want to kill the bugs, not dry the thing, right?

Scott T Smith
03-19-2013, 3:58 PM
Hi David. I just e-mailed you an article about a home sterilization chamber. Let me know if you have any questions.

Scott

ray hampton
03-19-2013, 5:31 PM
too bad that you can not use your kitchen stove oven