PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraved shirts

Terri Heskett
03-18-2013, 8:44 AM
I have a customer asking about laser engraving some shirts. Has anyone done this? If this is possible what type of fabric would they have to be and what settings work best?

Mike Null
03-18-2013, 9:30 AM
I have seen good results on denim and on fleece. These are low power engravings so just sneak up on it.

Martin Boekers
03-18-2013, 9:56 AM
The big issue is making sure it is absolutley flat..... The settings are touchy as fabric is thin and can burn through easily.
I have had some luck with denim, but not consistant enough to provide that service.

Joe Hillmann
03-18-2013, 9:58 AM
I have engraved on 100% cotton shirts that are dyed. The engraved area becomes lighter. They look good when new. My experience is that after only a few cycles through the washer and dryer the engraved areas start to wear out. Other people here claim that they don't have the same problem but non the less I would suggest doing a test piece and run it through the wash a few times to see how it holds up.

I have also done denim jeans. The engraving became almost white and I have washed them probably 20-30 times so far and the engraved area doesn't appear to show any more ware than the rest of the jeans.

Mike Lassiter
03-18-2013, 10:10 AM
A light touch is in order. I've done fleece and demim that looked really good on the table but when the fleece was picked up and looked at with light behind it; it looked like looking thru a window screen. On the denim if you go to heavy it will look great but when you pull on it, it will rip easily like a pair that is thread bare from being worn & washed alot.

Vicki Rivrud
03-18-2013, 12:49 PM
For denim, you have to be sure it doesn't have latex/spandex/nylon etc or it turns an ugly brown. 100% cotton denim works great. Much like andozied aluminum. You are bleaching the blues from the denim. I still have my tinkerbell jeans fro 5 years ago - so if you just etch lightly the jeans/shorts will hold up to many washings.

Same holds true for T-Shirts & Shirts - has to be 100% cotton or you burn/melt the synthetics/rubbers. If etched too heavy you wind up with holes and while it looks great brand new - washing makes them fall apart or holey.

At least this has been my experience. I would test 1 shirt before taking on this project.

Vicki

Joe Pelonio
03-18-2013, 8:36 PM
I have had good luck with fleece but very fast and low power. Can't remember my settings, sorry. Logos about 1"x3" and it held up well.

Aha, found it in my database, I saved it. Speed 100, power 25 on my 45 watt.

Lucy Lee
03-19-2013, 5:16 AM
Hi Terri,
we lasered on jeans before ,see enclosed photo ,but not on shirts
Best Regards
Lucy Lee257509257510257511

I have a customer asking about laser engraving some shirts. Has anyone done this? If this is possible what type of fabric would they have to be and what settings work best?

Dan Hintz
03-19-2013, 8:59 AM
Lucy,

I think Mike posted a comment in a different thread by mistake, so I'll add it here... please list your company affiliation in your signature so people reading your posts know who you are associated with.

Mike Null
03-19-2013, 9:04 AM
Dan

FWIW, It was not a mistake, though I certainly can be credited with many. She posted on both threads.

George Brown
03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
it will rip easily like a pair that is thread bare from being worn & washed alot.

GREAT, distressed look!! People actually pay money for that.

Vicki Rivrud
03-19-2013, 8:36 PM
Hi Lucy,
Here is an eample of the 100% Cotton Denim
257565 257566 257567 257568 257569

The cotton/poly blends tend to etch brownish in my experience.

I've always used fast speed low power, just enough to bleach out the blue dye.

Vicki

Lucy Lee
03-19-2013, 9:19 PM
Hi Vicki ,
your sample seems good, yes fast speed will not burn the Jeans

Best Regards