PDA

View Full Version : Cement board for tile question

kevin nee
03-18-2013, 8:29 AM
I am retiling my shower. I have built some recess boxes that will be tiled for shampoo etc. I am now going to put up cement board. My question is should I install the wall then add the small pieces to the sides and back of the boxes or board the boxes then then do the walls? Does it matter? I am looking for a nice surface to tile to. What is the best tool to cut cement board with. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Joe Angrisani
03-18-2013, 8:43 AM
....What is the best tool to cut cement board with.....

Use a cement board scribing knife. I got one at Home Depot for about $7. Makes quick work of it.

Steve Baumgartner
03-18-2013, 8:45 AM
Use a cement board scribing knife. I got one at Home Depot for about $7. Makes quick work of it.

For cutting out holes or for fine trimming, an oscillating tool with a carbide grit blade works well.

Joe Angrisani
03-18-2013, 8:54 AM
As far as order of installation goes, I always think in terms of shedding water. Which means do the main wall first, then the bottom so it overlaps the wall board, then the sides so they overlap the bottom and the edges of the wall board, then the back of the box so it overlaps the sides/bottom.

C Scott McDonald
03-18-2013, 9:50 AM
Besure to use some waterproofing method such as Kerdi or RedGard for the box seams. Better yet use it on the entire surface of the shower.

I have a blade for my Circular saw that is designed for cement/Hardiboard but it is a complete dust storm using it.

Good Luck,
Scott

Peter Quinn
03-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Do not use cement board for the shampoo nooks. They make aluminum pans just for this available in many different sizes sold at most real tile stores (ie not the Borg). They have a drip flange, you have to build your framing to suit, way easier to install than a site fabricated unit, they have a corse mill finish, you mortar right to the pan. They are bullet proof, never leak, bottom has a slight pitch to she'd water but not toss the shampoo.

if its too late for that make sure to mortar all the seams and seal with a water proof membrane, like a paint on rubberized product. Cubbies are a great place for standing water to enter the wall cavity if done wrong.

Peter Quinn
03-18-2013, 10:17 AM
http://m.homedepot.com/p/t/100677312

i stand corrected, Borg does have them, I've used a different kind but this is the idea, well worth the cost.

ian maybury
03-18-2013, 10:25 AM
The issue with bathrooms is that so many different aspects of the job are interdependent, and that it's such a hostile environment for most building materials.

Personal experience with contractors suggests that it's one area that it makes no sense to cut corners in - the subsequent grief, hassle, disruption of the house and waste of time and money can be enormous.

Can't recommend specifics as our brands are different, but +1 on it being an excellent investment to go for a good tanking system. (that's a waterproof sealing membrane bonded all over the structure that the tiles are laid on) It's not always essential, but is a really valuable guaranteed 'no leak' back up should it be needed.

It's well worth too researching and paying for high spec high flexibility tile cements, especially when tiling over sheet or other materials likely to move. Cheap tiling consumables often fail after a few years through not being able to handle the movement. Try to avoid overly narrow grout gaps as they can put more pressure on everything due to being less able to handle movement.

I finally gave up on contractors and did all my own bathrooms again working from this US book which is really good - it's stood up 100%. http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Tile-Homebuilding-Michael-Byrne/dp/1561580805 Highly readable, very practical and hands on - and at the same time it covers the technical basis of stuff too. Topics like the technicalities of the surfaces you might lay tiles on, technicalities and selection of tile and tile cement/grout types, tools and equipment, putting down most types of floor, working with backer boards and sheet materials like you need, laying tile and on into fancy mosaic work and the like. Michael Byrne would in years gone by have been hounded out of the Tilers Guild for giving away trade secrets....

ian