PDA

View Full Version : Good blender for smoothies?

Paul McGaha
03-18-2013, 8:04 AM
Can you guys recommed a good blender for smoothies?

My wife is looking to replace our blender.

I don't know the first thing about them.

PHM

David Weaver
03-18-2013, 8:39 AM
I am usually on the stingy side of kitchen appliances, but a vitamix can't really be touched by any of the inexpensive blenders, and unlike the informercial imitations, they last forever and are made in ohio, or at least put together there. They are old school, a strong motor, lots of noise and switches and dials. They will liquify vegetables, rinds, seeds, stems and all if you choose.

The bad part - they're $400-$500 for the standard (model 5200) version, depending on whether you can tolerate refurbished (I can, and did).

Ours gets used probably twice a day and there isn't anything I'm afraid to put in it (not a big vegetable fan, the ability to liquify them and mix them with something else is a huge bonus).

Joe Angrisani
03-18-2013, 9:08 AM
$500? Crikey! That is bad.

Then there's the good news....

Get a classic Waring blender like every bar and smoothie shop in the world uses. No excessive switches and dials. Just a strong motor and a single two speed switch. Does everything from chop ice to blend soups. Figure on spending about $150 for the real mccoy.

David Weaver
03-18-2013, 9:20 AM
Most of the commercial waring blenders I've seen (that are domestic origin) are about the same price as the vitamix. The ones that are imitations of the vitamix (and are about $200, I don't know the origin of them...) have a lot of negative comments about durability and leakage in the amazon reviews.

Though you have to unload $400 to get the refurb version of the vitamix (which looks more like an unused return), if something like the above happens in 7 years, regardless of the level of use, you get it replaced for free.

Probably about 95% of the places here that make smoothies commercially use a vitamix - maybe it's a local thing since they're made one state over. I have seen only one pair of warings at a mediterranean restaurant (of all of the places that have visible equipment).

Most of the vitamix that I've seen are the same type as the 5200. A physical switch (no pcb) for on off, a switch for high low, and a knob for speed on low.

If you intend to blend soups or do something like that a couple of times a week, it might be overkill. If you intend to put raw vegetables in it twice a day and want them pulverized, it'll probably end up being cheaper in the long run. We pooped out a $120 kitchen aid blender pretty quickly doing the same thing, and the results along the way weren't as good.

David Weaver
03-18-2013, 9:25 AM
I don't know the origin of the waring blenders (in terms of current manufacture), but it looks like the origin of the company was also local to here. By a guy who was part of a big band called "Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians".

Stephen Cherry
03-18-2013, 10:02 AM
If you want a nice ice based drink, as David said, get the vitamix. It turns the ice into a smooth, professional quality drink.

Expensive, yes; extravagant, no.

If you get one, you will wonder how you got along without it.

Prashun Patel
03-18-2013, 11:01 AM
We just purchased the 'low end' Vitamix at about $400. A Vitamix (or it's like) is one of those things that people who have it swear by it, those who don't can't understand why it should cost so much.

I am a religious smoothie drinker. This thing chops even nuts into smoothie consistency.

I recommend one if you can afford it.

Greg Portland
03-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Blendtec is Vitamix competitor. The prices are about the same but the Blentec fits under a standard height cabinet on your counter. Costco occasionally sells Blendtec with a special promotion and you can save ~$50 by buying it that way.

The Blendtec will do all the same stuff (pulverize seeds, make nut butters, etc.).

Bob Coleman
03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Blendtec is Vitamix competitor.

http://www.willitblend.com

No endorsement (I don't own one) but I like the creative marketing.

David Weaver
03-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Blendtec is Vitamix competitor. The prices are about the same but the Blentec fits under a standard height cabinet on your counter. Costco occasionally sells Blendtec with a special promotion and you can save ~$50 by buying it that way.

The Blendtec will do all the same stuff (pulverize seeds, make nut butters, etc.).

The warranty on the blendtec is pretty short, though. Parts of it only 1 year, but getting it at Costco makes the warranty better. It definite is prettier. I looked at both of them at the same time and might have gotten the blendtec if it the warranties would've been equal, I don't understand why they're not, especially when most people who have trouble seem to have it with the containers and seals.

I usually go cheap on most things and then go with good only if cheap doesn't last. The only two things where cheap didn't work out were blender and food processor. Then on purchase #2, I get anal retentive about the details because I expect there to not be purchase #3.

I did notice when I was looking at both that blendtec's marketing was pretty aggressive and there were several fake comparisons between the two that were actually veiled blendtec ads. That kind of stuff drives me toward the competitor, instead of away from it, though it could easily be comparisons done by a larger vendor (they don't tell you that, that would sort of tip you off).

(I do get a giggle reading the amazon reviews where people say "the blendtec is 3 horsepower and the vitamix is 2, but I couldn't tell the difference". The same "horsepower" marketing stuff, vitamix does it themselves where one mixer with another amp is a full horsepower more than the 5200. FWIW, the vitamix 5200 is about 1400 watts and the blendtec is 1560. Both are made in the US of nearly all US content....surprisingly. The bar drink mixers are about 500 watts. When reading about purchases as large as the blendtec and vitamix, it would be nice if you could filter reviews on amazon based on owner duration. Everyone loves their stuff when it's new. What do they think of it when it's 3 years old? People don't come back and revise on a basis regular enough to know).

Gordon Eyre
03-18-2013, 12:38 PM
I am also a big fan of the Vitamix and have had mine for many years. Works like it was new.

Bill Huber
03-18-2013, 1:14 PM
I don't have a dog in this hunt but I did find this, for what it's worth.

http://www.blenderbabes.com/blender-babes-101/blender-reviews/blendtec-vs-vitamix/

Mike Cozad
03-18-2013, 7:00 PM
My wife likes a peanut butter smoothie now and again and a regular blender did a horrible job getting it done. Even making a peach smoothie with frozen peaches and almond milk gave it a challenge it often failed. So she bought the Ninja. Three sets of blades on the spindle that are at least 2/3s the way up the blender pitcher. There is nothing this thing hasn't turned into a smoothie. I'm going to try concrete patio blocks next week.. :D

Joe Angrisani
03-18-2013, 7:29 PM
.....A Vitamix....is one of those things that people who have it swear by it, those who don't can't understand why....

Sounds right. My 25 year old Waring blender is still the clear winner. ;)

Kevin Groenke
03-18-2013, 7:50 PM
I was on a smoothie kick a couple of months ago (raw fruit, frozen fruit, yogurt mostly). After a week with a plain-ol blender (hamilton beach) I tried the stick blender that LOML uses to to make purees and soups (Cuisinart smart stick). Works great, the blender is back in the cabinet above the fridge, the stick blender sits on the kitchen counter. Super easy to clean! I don't know that I would try ice with this, but I wouldn't put ice in a smoothie either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD3g3p3kt7s

Robert McGowen
03-18-2013, 8:14 PM
I got this one a few months ago just for smoothies: Breville BBL605XL Hemisphere Control Blender
About $200 on Amazon. It actually has a smoothie button. Push it and the machine blends for a few seconds, stops and waits for the solids to settle, then blends some more, waits, etc. It takes about a minute if you want to go through the whole cycle. Breville also makes great juicers. I would purchase it again.

Chris Padilla
03-19-2013, 12:39 AM
My wife picked up a Ninja (Pro System 1100) at Coscto a little more than a year ago. It replaced an underpowered Oneida. I really like it a lot and it seems to do all we ask of it. I'm pretty sure it was under $200. You can even make dough in it although we haven't tried that. It comes with a large pitcher and a smaller one good for making single serve smoothies. It cleans up easily, too.

Chris Padilla
03-19-2013, 12:41 AM
...is one of those things that people who have it swear by it, those who don't can't understand why it should cost so much.

Like Festool, eh? ;)

Paul McGaha
03-19-2013, 7:50 AM
It's exactly like buying a tool isn't it?

I showed her the thread, I'm not sure which one she's going to pick. I suggested she get one of the better ones (Buy once, cry once) but it's kind of her call.

Thank you all for your comments.

PHM

Steve Peterson
03-19-2013, 12:29 PM
My wife was tired of burning out cheap blenders, so I got her a blendtec for a little over $300, about the same cost as a good router motor. It is a super powerful blender with a 13A motor. She really likes it. I think I like the lid with the perfectly sized stir stick on the Vitamix better and I think it is probably worth the extra $100 at Costco. Both are really good blenders.

Steve

phil harold
03-19-2013, 6:34 PM
I was on a smoothie kick a couple of months ago (raw fruit, frozen fruit, yogurt mostly). After a week with a plain-ol blender (hamilton beach) I tried the stick blender that LOML uses to to make purees and soups (Cuisinart smart stick). Works great, the blender is back in the cabinet above the fridge, the stick blender sits on the kitchen counter. Super easy to clean! I don't know that I would try ice with this, but I wouldn't put ice in a smoothie either.

I have Braun 400 watt hand blender close to seven years old I make smoothies and frozen drinks all the time
fast and easy