PDA

View Full Version : x700 redsail laser cutter

Mannetjie Botha
03-18-2013, 6:55 AM
Hi to all of you. I really enjoy reading all the bumf on lasers on the forum have ordered a X700 from Redsail
hope everything goes well after reading all the pros and cons on this particular laser. I have ordered a spare tube and a set of mirrors and lens it is a 50 watt laser and I was thinking would it not be great if the extra tube could also be fitted in the cabinet, with a modification to the cabinet. Would it be possible to zero both laser beams on to the lens if this is possible would it not be great to be able to use the one tube for general work and to be able to fire up both tubes when more power is required. The second question, I would like to be able to hookup directly to Autocad and Mack3 as I am very comfortable and familear with these programs I also have a small cnc router 600 x 400 x 150 a vinyl cutter and a good woodwork shop.
Kind Regards Mannetjie Botha South Africa

Mike Null
03-18-2013, 7:25 AM
Mannetjie

Glad to have you join Sawmill Creek. Several of our members have reported success with the Redsail laser. I'm sure one of them will help you with an answer although I would advise contacting your supplier directly for that information.

Dan Hintz
03-18-2013, 7:49 AM
I was thinking would it not be great if the extra tube could also be fitted in the cabinet, with a modification to the cabinet. Would it be possible to zero both laser beams on to the lens if this is possible would it not be great to be able to use the one tube for general work and to be able to fire up both tubes when more power is required.

While possible, the work you'll have to go through will not make it worthwhile (unless you're a diehard tinkerer). Getting the beams coincident is a must if you want a clean cut / engrave, and it has to be coincident across the entire table. This will require some extra optics, too, which will then require modification to the cabinet.

My suggestion? If you think you'll need more power, get a larger tube from the beginning and start making money rather than projects for yourself.

Mannetjie Botha
03-18-2013, 2:30 PM
Hi Dan just to let you know I was on a tight budget when looking at lasers, Remember this is S. Africa I have to multiply by 10 for the Rand Dollar exchange rate witch puts a $10,000 laser at the R100,000 range and then there is duty, customs clearing shipping agents fees and on top of that I pay 14% sales tax. So a higher power laser was just out of my budget also when one day you get to my age (68) then maybe you will also enjoy tinkering around as is I built the cnc router perfectly.
I would still like some ideas on fitting the second tube as I have the extra tube, mirrors and lens. I also built rotary engraver based on the eggbot fitted with a vibrator works quite well going to try a burning laser diode in it next and see how that works. Regards Mannetjie

Rodne Gold
03-18-2013, 2:47 PM
I'm in Cape town SA.
You can always retrofit a more potent tube and it's attendant power supply when your original goes , a RECI 90w + power supply should cost round $650 + freight - Round R8000 all in.
You might have to cut the cabinet for its extra length.
I echo Dans post. You wont be able to fit the 2nd tube so that the 2 tubes beams coincide without some serious optics and nightmarish alignment as well as some serious cabinet mods. Your single 50w tubes power supply wont cope and you will gain very little and in all likelyhood will have far bigger kerfs. My advice is to get to grips with what you CAN do with what you got and then if you see you limited go for the 8000 hr RECI to replace your 800-1000 hr 50's. If you want to speak to me , you can call me on 021 5924123 , I'm at work from 8am to 2 pm or so most days.

Deane Donaghy
03-18-2013, 11:34 PM
I have an X700 Redsail, and doubt you would fit both tubes in the area available without modifying the cabinet a fair bit.
You would be better off upgrading to a better tube and power supply when the original dies.
Still on OK machine for the price I think.