PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience/Advice on Variable Speed Drill Presses?

Ken Waag
05-09-2005, 1:36 AM
I'm embarrassed to admit that my drill press has probably been on the same belt setting for months. I only change it if I'm using a large diameter cutter or will be doing a lot of holes in succession. But more often than not I go to the DP for a hole or two and it would take longer to change the belts than drill the holes, so it stays on a medium slow setting.

I've decided to bite the bullet and get a variable speed model. I haven't seen much in terms of reviews, and a search here didn't turn up much information, so I thought I'd throw out a plea for any info.

It seems Delta is the only real player in this category. I've looked into the X5 model (17-990X)(~$800) and the 17-968 (~$520). From the specs the only difference I can see is the stroke (6" vs. 4 7/8"). My current Jet17 is close to the latter so I don't know that it's worth $300 for the inch, though there may be other differences. I'll try to see them in person tomorrow if I can find each locally.

Anyone have any experience with these? I would greatly appreciate any hands-on info, as I sure haven't been able to find much. Thanks as always,
Ken

Bryan Nuss
05-09-2005, 7:53 AM
Ken,

One alternative you might consider is a used Mark V Shopsmith. It has a variable speed drive and can be used as both a horizontal and a vertical drill press. They take up only a minimal space in the shop.

They are available on e-Bay for about $300 to $500. The only attachment you need is a chuck (~ $20).

Rick Lizek
05-09-2005, 8:11 AM
Another option is to buy a used three phase drill press and put a VFD, varible frequency drive. A one hp rated VFD can be had for around $220. At least the Baldor I'm thnking of. There is a model that will run on 120 volt and give variable speed and even double the motors rated rpm. You will still have to change the belt on the pulley on certain occasions such as going real slow like 50 rpm as dialing the VFD to 50 rpm will result in very low torque. Delta has a pretty good priced unit with a reeves drive so that is certainly an oprion. Full sized variable speed drill presses easily run several thousnad dollars for the older style PM and Deltas which use the revves drive but this was before the VFD.

Brian Buckley
05-09-2005, 8:44 AM
Ken,

I have had the Delta X5 for about 18 months. For my use it is a very good drill press. I added the Woodpecker drill press table (with full extensions) to it. Just be sure the drill press is running when changeing speeds. You will have a real mess on your hands if not. Yes, I am speaking from experience.

Brian

Chris Rosenberger
05-09-2005, 8:45 AM
I am not familiar with the newer Delta drill presses other than what I have read. I do have an older Rockwell VS & a Powermatic 1150 VS. It is great not having to change belts. Just turn the dial. The other thing I really like is the 6" stroke. I have had to adjust the height of the tables one time in 2 years. On my old drill press I had to adjust the table almost every time I used a different length drill bit.

Maurice Ungaro
05-09-2005, 9:05 AM
Ken,
I purchased a 17-968 last year, and couldn't be more pleased with it. One of the great features if being able to change speeds on the fly, which I must admit, would not happen as often if I had to slip the belt onto another step of the pulley. Also, the depth setting mechanism is a gem. As for the length of stroke, you'ld be hard pressed to find the advantages of 6 inches over 5 inches, as most stock doesn't exceed 4 inches. Of course, if you're drilling lamp bases, that's another story, but with a floor model DP, just keep raising the table until the desired depth is reached.

FWIW: Redmond & Son has some reconditioned 17-968s for around $429. Shipping to St. Louis may kill you, but it's a thought.

Ken Waag
05-09-2005, 11:03 AM
I had just popped in to check the thread and want to thank all for the great advice. Love this Forum.

Maurice, your tip on Redmond and sons turned out to be just the ticket. I checked their site and gave them a call. They had reconditioned 17-925's in and on sale. Usually $655 down to $495. Shipping was $110 which always hurts but I still came out smelling pretty good on this one.

They've got a couple truckloads of Delta Reconditioned going on sale if anyone's interested. I think I throw up a post as some folks esp closer to Atlanta might benefit.

Thanks again to everyone for the responses!
Ken

Kurt Aebi
05-09-2005, 11:49 AM
I have the Delta Shopmaster DP-350 12" Benchtop variable Speed and can't be happier with it.

I can even do light milling with it (aluminum or sheet-metal).

Just keep the pulley shafts clean and the Reeve's drive lubricated and you are good to go!