PDA

View Full Version : Buying just 1 Woodmaster shaper knife?

dirk martin
03-18-2013, 5:28 AM
I was browsing ebay for shaper knives.
I saw one seller, that sold some Woodmaster profile knives. In each auction, he sold 1 knife. And, only one knife.
Now, I know you can create molding on the Woodmaster, using one knife in the head, but don't you need a counterweight on the head, also? I mean, if someone bought just one profile knife, to run on their Woodmaster, there's no way they could run it, could they? without someway creating a counterweight?

I believe when you buy a profile knife from Woodmaster, they include a perfectly balanced counterweight. So, what do you think was going on with those buyers on eBay, buying only a single knife?

Chris Rosenberger
03-18-2013, 7:38 AM
Woodmaster sells a molding knife head that only holds 1 knife, you would need to buy a gib to hold the knife in the head. Or in my case, I already have dozens of counterweights in different sizes. I can buy 1 knife & come up with counter weights & gib from what I already have.

http://woodmastertools.com/NS/accessdetail.cfm?PID=42

Mel Fulks
03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Most of those machine makers also sell a two knife head.Much better. The first time I saw a one knifer in action it was walking across the shop. I absolutely refused to use to use it.

Andrew Joiner
03-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Now, I know you can create molding on the Woodmaster, using one knife in the head, but don't you need a counterweight on the head, also?

35 years ago I had a Belsaw. Like the Woodmaster it was advertised as a planer, molder and saw. Belsaw sold sets of 3 knives,but I needed to match old moldings a lot. I bought knife stock locally and ground my own knives. After lots of experimenting, I had the best luck with a single knife and counterweights. I could leave the planer knives in place so changing from planer to molder was quick. To get the feel of the right counterweights I had to try it without any at first. Yes, tons of vibration with no counterweight!

This is VERY DANGEROUS so don't do this at home. Even with counterweights the vibration was slightly more than just in planer mode. I made extra heavy guards to stop any tossed knives, but it never happened. Despite the danger I did run 1 knife often because I got great results. Even on knotty pine I'd get smooth molded faces without any knots knocked loose. I think the rubber rollers on the Belsaw helped.

Jim Andrew
03-18-2013, 9:53 PM
I bought a few Woodmaster knives. Ran them in the 3 blade cutterhead. You get one blade and some counterweights for the other 2 slots. There is a guy on Forestryforum who makes his own blades, goes by username Pineywoods. He showed his system, has a skilsaw with a abrasive blade fastened to a sheet of plywood. Then uses tool steel to grind the profile he wants.