PDA

View Full Version : African Sumac burned and ebonized

Kathy Marshall
03-18-2013, 1:49 AM
These are a couple of pieces I finished over the last few days. I got some african sumac logs earlier in the week and after sealing the logs, I cut one of them up into some small hollow form blanks. I've been making up some burning tips in different shapes, and used these 2 pieces to try them out.
I was surprised to find some nice curl in both of these blanks.
Not real happy with the 1st one. The band doesn't seem to fit, it's either too wide or the position is off, I can't decide which. I also didn't get a crisp line at the border since I got some burn staining when I burned the groove.
It's just under 4" x 4" and finished with antique oil.
I'm happier with the 2nd piece, both the tip I used and the position of the burned area. This one is 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" and also finished with antique oil. On both of the pieces, I went over the burned area with black gesso. I'll expose both of these to some sun to redden them up.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Jason Ritchie
03-18-2013, 4:56 AM
Wow! I love both of these! I really like the subtle patterns in the burned area.

Thom Sturgill
03-18-2013, 7:38 AM
Kathy, the turnings are great, as I would expect from you. I do agree that the ring is off though. Needs to be about half its width lower IMHO. Love the second one. This is a technique that I am just starting to explore. I want to incorporate detail rings, but do not want to shift to segmented work, so I am working with burning, dyes, and carving. Just bought one of the pens that lets you make your own tips, so practising with patterns is next for me too.

Allan Ferguson
03-18-2013, 9:28 AM
I concur with your own critic on these turnings. The second one would look great on any ones display shelf. Allan

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Those are really nice Kathy. I agree that the first one the ring is just off. The second is beautiful.