PDA

View Full Version : OT Question For Leatherworkers

Jared McMahon
03-17-2013, 9:50 PM
This would seem to be the least inappropriate place to ask this, since it's in a similar realm to neaderesque woodworking.

My brother has taken up leatherworking and I'd like to buy him a birthday gift of some antique leatherworking tool or piece of equipment. It doesn't have to be functional but that would be a nice added bonus. Can anyone recommend something to look for? I know next to nothing about the craft so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between something obscure, and something iconic and recognizable.

Thanks much, all

Keith Outten
03-18-2013, 6:37 AM
Send a PM or email to CW McClellan here at The Creek. CW is our resident leather guy with a lifetime of experience. You can see some of his work in the FreeStuff Forum.

Michael Dedon
03-18-2013, 7:00 PM
I've been looking at Osborne cutters. They look sort of like a derringer handle wth a marked gauge and are used to cut straps/belts/etc. Some are sold iron and some have rosewood handles. Search your favorite auction sites for "Osborne" or leather cutter.

William Adams
03-19-2013, 6:35 AM
Agree, a really nice handmade or vintage leather cutting knife --- discussion about choosing here:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=39964