PDA

View Full Version : Review Of Kobalt Mini Sawsall...

Derek Arita
03-17-2013, 9:39 PM
It kinda sucks! Let me explain. I have a larger recipro saw, but wanted something small for small jobs. After looking around, I found the Ridgid and the Kobalt. The Kobalt was about $20 less, but looked exactly the same as the ridgid, just different colors, so I went with the Kobalt.
When I got it home and fired it up, I found that at low speeds, the saw would continually torque-jerk...kinda like a misfiring engine. It was really annoying to have the saw twisting and stuttering like that and it made it next to impossible to ease the blade to a mark.
Needless to say, I returned that unit for another. The second one did the same thing, only worse!
The guys at Lowes said that this was a new tool for them and they had no idea of any issues with it. I was surprised that they had no desire to try my unit out to see for themselves what the problem was. At any rate, I returned the second saw as well and went to HD to try out the Ridgid.
For $20 more, the Ridgid version works just fine. There is a torque-twist when the saw kicks up to it's highest speed setting, but that's one time only. At the lower speeds, there's none of that going on.
They look exactly the same and come in the same packaging, just different colors. I wonder what the real difference is? How can anyone use that Kobalt like that, I'll never know. I'd be interested to know if others have had the same issue or if there's is fine? Thanks for looking.