PDA

View Full Version : Building the perfect beast

Erin Raasch
05-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Last fall, when I started down the slippery slope, it soon became apparent that my workspace did not meet the requirements for hand-tool work. I knew I would need to build a workbench, so I spent many hours researching all the possibilities.

What I finally decided was that while there were probably lots of designs that would work just fine, the one I would be most satisfied with was the traditional European-style bench, with the boxed-in tail vise and dog-leg shoulder vise.

I decided that I would build the trestle base this spring and slap together a top out of MDF. That would give me a good work surface on which to build the ultimate top & vise assemblies.

I was going to use ash for the base, but when I went wood shopping, they had some real nice looking hickory, so that's what I decided on. It's been several weekends and evenings in the shop, cutting, milling, laminating, chopping out mortises, fitting tenons . . . and finally today I finished assembling the base.

Think I'll give myself a few days off before I start on the top. :o

Erin

David Fried
05-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Very nice. Looks good and sturdy and very traditional. That Hickory has some real nice color. Sit back and enjoy it before tackling that top!

Roy Wall
05-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Erin,

A well deserved rest indeed -- you bench (base) looks really good and solid!! Nice work!

What are the dimensions (base and top)?

Dennis McDonaugh
05-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Looks great Erin. You did a terrific job with the joinery--they are tight and beautiful.

Bruce Page
05-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Hello Erin
It looks like you are off to a great start on your bench. The hickory has great strength & color. Don Henley would be proud. ;)

Lou Morrissette
05-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Great start on what looks to be a very sturdy bench, Erin. Real nice job on the joinery. Looks great.

Lou

Terry Hatfield
05-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Erin,

Excellent work!!! Love the hickory. Hard isn't it??? The bench should last forever.

Terry

Martin Shupe
05-09-2005, 2:00 AM
Erin,

Very nice work...the through tennons are perfect!

The hickory is a great idea. Strong, heavy, and probably inexpensive. Will you do a hickory top? Or maple?

Here's a dumb question...

What advantage does the boxed in tail vise give you? I have always wondered. I am thinking about using a Record 52 1/2 (got one before they were gone, but couldn't find a 53).

I need to build a bench, but it will have to wait until I have more room.

I like Jim Shaver's Shaker style bench (of course), and will probably model mine after it.

Post more pics as you do more work, I am sure it will be a wonderful bench.

Dan Forman
05-09-2005, 4:59 AM
Erin---That's a mighty fine looking bench you have going there. The "transitional" top is really a great idea, one which I shall probably borrow, as I will be building a bench soon as well.

Dan

James Mittlefehldt
05-09-2005, 5:55 AM
I love a good bench story, how did you find the hickory to work with? I built mine out of white ash and it looks somewhat less traditional but it serves my needs very well. Carry on and please do give us some more photo's when you are well rested.

Erin Raasch
05-09-2005, 6:35 AM
I love a good bench story, how did you find the hickory to work with? I built mine out of white ash and it looks somewhat less traditional but it serves my needs very well. Carry on and please do give us some more photo's when you are well rested.

My original plan was to use ash, but when I went wood shopping, the lumber dealer had some real pretty hickory sitting right there next to the ash . . . and for 10 cents less per bf. I just couldn't let that go by!

Erin

Erin Raasch
05-09-2005, 6:41 AM
Erin,

A well deserved rest indeed -- you bench (base) looks really good and solid!! Nice work!

What are the dimensions (base and top)?

The stretchers are 36" long, the long end with the dogleg is 33" wide, the other one is 24", the base is 28" high, so a 3" thick top will bring it to 31", which is a good working height for me (I'm 5'4"). I share a shop with my husband, and since I joined in after he'd already set things up, everything is set up for his 6'4" frame. I have a platform that I stand on to work at my current bench space, and use a step stool at the drill press, so it's going to be really nice to have something that's JUST MY SIZE!!

The MDF top is cut to 36x60, so that it doesn't leave the dogleg sticking out. When I build the final top, it's going to be about 26" deep by 72" long.

Erin

Erin Raasch
05-09-2005, 6:47 AM
Erin,

The hickory is a great idea. Strong, heavy, and probably inexpensive. Will you do a hickory top? Or maple?

Maple for the top, probably with accents out of other interesting woods I accumulate between now and then. I'm thinking I might manage to work a little walnut in somewhere, maybe some spalted maple . . . :)

Here's a dumb question...
What advantage does the boxed in tail vise give you? I have always wondered. I am thinking about using a Record 52 1/2 (got one before they were gone, but couldn't find a 53).

Not a dumb question at all, but it's one I hadn't thought of. I'm not sure if there is an advantage (Frank Klausz could probably give lots of reasons!)

I chose it mostly for the style and appearance. I would be interested to hear if anyone has an opinion on advantages/disadvantages.

Erin

Jim Becker
05-09-2005, 9:04 AM
That's a fine looking bench base, Erin. I'm looking forward to the future installments on this project!

Louis Bois
05-09-2005, 9:06 AM
OH DEAR!!!! Erin, I'm terribly sorry that I completely forgot to send you my bench plans!!! I feel terrible...but it looks as though you didn't really need them anyway...that's a sturdy looking base! I actually haven't progressed much with my own bench since my last post except for the tool tray. A 1-year-old boy sure keeps things interesting!!!

I notice you went with a 4-stretcher design...are you planning on building some sort of tool storage under there?

With regards to the boxed in tail vise...aside from the "traditional" aspect of this design and the fact that most of it can be built with wood (ie, cheap), there really aren't many advantages over other types of end vises. It tends to be a little tricky to build and adjust...tends to be somewhat fragile compared to other types...but there's just something about it that keeps it on the workbench roster...and I really, REALLY like it.

Keep us posted on your progress and don't hesitate to ask questions...although at this rate, you'll be done your bench long before I get back to it!!!

Mark Singer
05-09-2005, 9:09 AM
Excellent looking bench! Great design and work.....looking forward to the top...

Bob Smalser
05-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Very nice joinery. I'm impressed.

I find the most stable tops are made from 1x3 hard maple (or what ever thickness you desire) laid up on edge. Lay them up in sections as wide as your thickness planer, then glue the laid-up sections together in a second layup. I've various tables, jigs etc I did that way 30 years ago that are just as flat today as when they came out of the planer. Use urea resin glue, or marine epoxy so there's no danger of creep over time.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/2594265/50414150.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/2594266/26712331.jpg

James Carmichael
05-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Very nice, Erin.

James Mittlefehldt
05-09-2005, 9:54 PM
My original plan was to use ash, but when I went wood shopping, the lumber dealer had some real pretty hickory sitting right there next to the ash . . . and for 10 cents less per bf. I just couldn't let that go by!

Erin

Funny actually, as when I was designing my bench my original plan was to use Maple throughout. However I went to this farm auction and ended up with about three or four hundred board feet of White Ash, mostly 12/4 stock for one hundred dollars. So when I saw Mario Rodriguez at a wood show, not too long after, I asked him abouth the prudence of building a workbench from White Ash. He gave his blessing so to speak and White Ash it was.

Dan Racette
05-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Erin,

Where did you find the hickory? Is this your current stage of assembly or is it finished now? Joinery is awesome! Great job!

Dan

Jerry Olexa
05-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Very fine work! You should be proud...

Erin Raasch
05-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Erin,

Where did you find the hickory? Is this your current stage of assembly or is it finished now? Joinery is awesome! Great job!

Dan

Dan,

I got the hickory at Ocooch Hardwoods in Richland Center. I don't know if you've been there, but it's worth the drive - they've got lots of nice hardwoods, domestic and exotic, and the prices are very reasonable.

I'm far from finished with the bench; the base is as far as I've gotten. In the next week or two I'll slap together a top out of MDF to work on for now. I will be building a laminated maple top, but I don't know when I'll get started on it - it may be next year's project.

Erin

Erin Raasch
05-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Thank-you to everyone for all the kind comments. I really put a lot of effort into this project - as I am still very new to woodworking, much of it involved things that I was doing for the first time, like using a jointer to mill the lumber and using a bandsaw to cut the curves on the feet and headers. It's been a great boost to my self-confidence to see that it came out as well as it did. When I look at it, I see lots of little flaws - but I think that's just human nature. :)

I'm hoping that this will last for generations, and I've already warned my offspring that if this bench is ever sold outside of the family, I'll come back from the grave to haunt them. :D

If all goes as planned, maybe next year by this time I'll have finished the top and will be able to post pictures of the completed project.

Erin