PDA

View Full Version : Correlation Between BB and Acrylic Cut Capacity

Roy Nielsen
03-17-2013, 4:28 PM
I'm just starting to get a decent handle on optimal settings for baltic birch ply on my machine. Looks like with my current tube, which may need replacement in the not too distant future, I will be limited to 1/4" BB and slow (3/sec) and lots of charring at that; it cuts 1/8" BB pretty well with a light caramel at 14/sec.

Anyway, is there any rough correlation to acrylic cut capacity, e.g., about the same/twice/half the thickness of BB? I have a project or two that I want to try some parts in acrylic.

Thanks,
Roy

Rich Harman
03-17-2013, 5:52 PM
I don't cut BB but I do routinely cut 1/4 ply at between 16 - 20 mm/sec at 80% power. I cut 1/4" cast acrylic at between 8 to 12 mm/sec, also at 80% power. So it would seem to take twice as long to cut acrylic as ply in my case.

Also, I use a 63mm lens - a detail I think that is often left out when people are trying to compare settings.

One last thing, when I cut things I cut them so that they fall out easily, so I could easily cut a bit faster and it would still be okay.

Larry Robinson
03-17-2013, 6:59 PM
My 80 Watt was cutting 1/4" BB at 8 mm a sec. I Upgraded to 130W Reci and am now cutting at a speed of 24. Nice carmel edges.

Joe Pelonio
03-17-2013, 8:12 PM
My settings for 1/4" Baltic are the same power (100%) for 1/4" acrylic, but a little faster. Mine's 45 watts, and I do the birch at speed 14, acrylic at 10. For faster results, if possible, use Basswood, it cuts like butter.

Roy Nielsen
03-17-2013, 8:18 PM
Rich & Joe, thanks for your experience. Sounds like I'll likely have to stick with < 1/4" acrylic for now.

My tube is around 3 years old, which I understand to be old for a CO2 tube regardless of use. While experimenting a bit (more needed) yesterday, it seemed to me that there was no significant difference in output from around 40-50% up to 80-90%, at least for cutting.

Larry, did you upgrade your power supply as well as the Reci tube?

Thanks,
Roy

Larry Robinson
03-17-2013, 8:39 PM
Yes, I did upgrade the power supply, got the parts direct from Gweike.