PDA

View Full Version : Very Dark Poplar

Jeff Gilfor
03-17-2013, 3:36 PM
Just finished this bowl from some rainbow poplar that I got a hold of. Never turned poplar before. This was very nice to turn, but boy is it dark!!! Color was not modified in any way. Darker than the black walnut that I sometimes use (hate the smell of walnut!). Is this typical of this species, or did I just get some exceptionally dark sections?

Jay Jolliffe
03-17-2013, 3:51 PM
I use a lot of poplar and never seen it that dark...

bob svoboda
03-17-2013, 3:56 PM
Great bowl, Jeff. Haven't turned poplar, but that looks darker than I had imagined.

Ronald Blue
03-17-2013, 5:49 PM
Wow that is darker then any I ever have saw. Even when looking on the net while there are examples of dark streaks similar to yours they were only bands through the board. Where did you get it? I forgot to say how good it looks!

Michael Gibson
03-17-2013, 5:58 PM
When hit by lighting Poplar often goes black and is highly sort after. Michael

Jeff Gilfor
03-17-2013, 8:30 PM
I got two kiln dried blanks from Got Wood ( I occasionally pay for wood). Both blanks were very dark brown-green, with almost ebony black sections. Kinda like it, but sure looks strange. Everyone who sees it asks me what I used to color the wood. Thanks for the compliments.

Jim Stewart
03-17-2013, 8:36 PM
Beautiful bowl! I cut a huge poplar and it had deep green to black in some of the wood. The logger told me that it was pretty much worthless on the market because of the color. He said that certain minerals are the cause of the coloration. Where did that wood come from? Jim

Harry Robinette
03-17-2013, 8:57 PM
I'm just starting a computer desk for the wife and we went to a mill north of us and got rainbow or allot of people call it purple poplar.
I'm going to take my time and only work on it when she's off work to help. We have allot of fun working in the shop together,so it will probably
take a while to finish.
Will post picture when done.( I really don't like flat work!!!! )
The wood we got ain't nothing like yours.

robert baccus
03-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Pretty wood and bowl too. I found some rainbow poplar on E-bay 6 years ago. Colors were black, purple, green and some red streaks. No one would buy the stuff because it looked wierd roughsawn so I obtained 15 pieces at a bargain. At my suggestion the seller finished out 2 pieces and poof it was gone. Georgous wood. My big mouth. It supposedly is caused by mineral stain and is culled because it does not paint well.

paul vechart
03-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Jeff I just happened to turn a rainbow poplar bowl today (green wood). The wood was very wet and it was also very dark in some areas. I also got mine from "Got Wood". It did turn very nice and now I have it bagged so it can dry.
I forgot to say I like your bowl!

Kathy Marshall
03-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Very nice bowl Jeff! I like the texturing on the rims and the color of the dark poplar. I've had some rainbow poplar with dark browns and purples, but not quite as dark as yours.

Jason Ritchie
03-18-2013, 5:10 AM
That is really cool! You did a nice job showcasing the wood. I love how the color just streaks and blends out over the rim.