PDA

View Full Version : It Won't Dry

James Combs
03-17-2013, 9:36 AM
I turned a small box out of Eastern Red Cedar near the same time as my two Honey Locust bowls. All three were finished with brush-on semi-gloss poly from the same can. However, the cedar doesn't want to dry, it is not "wet" but still very tacky. I am assuming it is the oils in the cedar that is the problem. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it. I am thinking of putting it into my small toaster oven at maybe 150 for a couple hours to see if that helps.

Curt Fuller
03-17-2013, 10:11 AM
James, I've had that problem with the brush on poly finishes on a lot of woods. I was using the minwax poly and quit for that reason. I like the minwax wipe on poly (WOP) much better and can usually get a couple coats on in a day where I was needing a couple days between coats with the heavier brush on stuff.

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2013, 11:03 AM
I quit using poly and also started using WOP. On several woods I just couldn't get the thicker poly to dry. I turn a lot of cedar especially in peppermills as that is my best selling wood. I can tell you don't put it in a oven as the finish will get small bubbles. Since it looks like you still have them in the chuck I would sand it down and clean with mineral spirits then refinish. I have also found lacquer works a lot better on cedar.

Robert Edington
03-17-2013, 5:14 PM
You might just try wiping it down with mineral spirits. That will thin it and perhaps cause it to dry. I think you are correct about the oils inn Cedar.

Dennis Nagle
03-17-2013, 5:22 PM
That has happened to me a couple of times. Most recently I turned 3 handles from one large piece of oak. I stained them with the same brand stain, then used high gloss poly on all three at the same time and one handle took 5 days to dry. Then other 2 were dry over night. Go figure.

James Combs
03-18-2013, 11:28 AM
James, I've had that problem with the brush on poly finishes on a lot of woods. I was using the minwax poly and quit for that reason. I like the minwax wipe on poly (WOP) much better and can usually get a couple coats on in a day where I was needing a couple days between coats with the heavier brush on stuff.
Thanks Curt, good to know stuff. I have WOP in semi but not sure why I pick the can of brush-on this time.:confused:

I quit using poly and also started using WOP. On several woods I just couldn't get the thicker poly to dry. I turn a lot of cedar especially in peppermills as that is my best selling wood. I can tell you don't put it in a oven as the finish will get small bubbles. Since it looks like you still have them in the chuck I would sand it down and clean with mineral spirits then refinish. I have also found lacquer works a lot better on cedar.
Thanks for the advice Bernie. I believe I will try the oven anyway, it's not going to be any worse. I can't really sand it away now due to the gumminess, I will also try Roberts suggestion below on one piece first. Will definitely be changing at least the initial primer coat to something besides poly on the next one.

You might just try wiping it down with mineral spirits. That will thin it and perhaps cause it to dry. I think you are correct about the oils inn Cedar.
Thanks Robert, will be giving that a try on one of the pieces.

That has happened to me a couple of times. Most recently I turned 3 handles from one large piece of oak. I stained them with the same brand stain, then used high gloss poly on all three at the same time and one handle took 5 days to dry. Then other 2 were dry over night. Go figure.
Thanks for the info Dennis, I feel for you also.

I will post the results in a separate thread when I finally get it finished.