PDA

View Full Version : Century Link ADSL vs VDSL

Stephen Tashiro
03-17-2013, 12:43 AM
I went to a friends home to get their (first ever) DSL connection to Century Link working. On day one, I couldn't get their new modem to connect. Got a blinking DSL LED light instead of a steady one. On day two, I took my DSL modem from home (which I used on Century Link). Using an extension cord for the modem's power, I connected it to the test jack on the phone junction box. Didn't get a steady DSL light there either.

However, after about 45 minutes on the phone with Century Link tech suppoert, we discovered that my friends house has "VDSL" instead of "ADSL". Their new modem (Netgear N600) won't do VDSL. I notice many modems on store shelves that say they're Century Link compatible don't say they can do VDSL. None of the modems sold at the local Staples would do VDSL. At Best Buy, I got a Century Link brand modem that says it does VDSL. That's to be tried on day three.

There are web pages that claim you don't need a username and password for Century Link DSL. That's probably true for ADSL service. I do have a username and password in my ADSL modem configuration in the PPPoA section since I use a local ISP for name service instead of Century Link. However, the tech support guy said that we will need a username and password to configure the VDSL modem and he gave me the ones assigned.

The directions on both the Netgear and the Century Link modem don't involve the time-honored approach of going to http://192.168.0.1 ( or similar) in a browser and loggin into the modem. They don't provide you with a numerical IP address. The Netgear modem says to go to something like http://modemlogin.net (which doesn't work if your DSL connection doesn't work). By experiment, I found that one of the usual numerical IP addresses works for it). The Century Link brand modem's directions have no information at all about logging into the modem. The directions say to connect all cables, plug in the power, and (supposedly) you are automatically taken to a web page for setting up your connection.

So various salespeople, product packages and web pages have obsolete information about Century Link DSL.

I wonder if my service might get switched to VDSL someday without me being notified. My friends live about 6 miles from me.

It seemed silly to test the DSL signal at the outside box by using a modem on an extension cord. I probably won't have to do it again, but Is there an elegant cordless way to do this - and a cheap way that doesn't involve those thousand dollar testers that the phone company service people use?

Curt Harms
03-17-2013, 9:07 AM
I don't know if you're already aware of it but here is a forum dedicated to such things:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/centurylink

Scott Shepherd
03-17-2013, 9:24 AM
I can't help you with that issue, but I posted a nightmare story with CL on this forum some time ago. If their product was a fraction as good as their marketing and lies, then it would be a great service. My family member was repeatedly told he was getting a 10Mbps connection, the guy showed up and said "Oh, this area has a cap on it at 1Mbps". He called to complain and was basically told "1Mbps is just fine for what you want to do". He was told it would be about $110 a month (or something like that) and his bills are constantly over $200 per month, with no additional movies bought or any additional charges.

When he calls to complain, it always goes no where. When you're out in rural areas, what's your other choice? It's like they have you and they exploit it. What a horrible, horrible way to treat customers.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Jim Becker
03-17-2013, 10:58 AM
You may see more and more VDSL out there as it can provide higher speeds than the older ADSL and ADSL+. It can also be rigged to maintain higher speeds by using multiple pairs...ATT uses that technique for their U-Verse product to help support the higher bandwidth necessary for multiple, simultaneous HD video streams.

Do remember that there are two general component functions involved with either ADSL and VDSL service in most cases...the "modem" function which pulls the DSL signals off the telephone wires and the "router" function which provides the IP address translation (NAT) and other features for the devices located in one's home. In the good old days, these were separate boxes. Today, they are generally one box, generally referred to as a router. (The router has a DSL modem internally on the WAN interface) Most have a local login like you are used to, but it sounds like that Centurylink device provides access through the carrier's side of things from your description. I certainly wouldn't prefer that!

Relative to your testing question, if the router has a wireless AP internal, you theoretically could plug it in at the demark and access it from inside via WiFI. Of course, that assumes you can get power to it.

Matt Meiser
03-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Centurylink didn't do the install and provide the modem?

Stephen Tashiro
03-17-2013, 12:10 PM
but it sounds like that Centurylink device provides access through the carrier's side of things from your description. I certainly wouldn't prefer that!

Taking a closer look at the green box with the big letters "CenturyLink Modem and Wireless-N Router Self-Install Kit", I see tiny letters that say "Model C1000A manufactured by Actiontech". I hadn't thought about the modem being under the control of the phone company, but it might not have the standard firmware. It's not fully upacked yet, but I haven't found any directions that come from Actiontech.

Brian Elfert
03-17-2013, 2:04 PM
I don't believe Centurylink will make a home visit for a DSL install if there is already a working phone line. When I switched to Comcast for Internet I bought my own modem and I just called Comcast to turn on the service with no visit. I already had cable TV or they would have had to run a line.

I doubt Centurylink would just switch someone from ADSL to VDSL with no notification. I got a number of letters from Centurylink when they canceled their Broadband Voice VOIP product.