PDA

View Full Version : Manzanita burl bowl...

Michael Stafford
05-08-2005, 7:56 PM
Here is a salvage job on a piece of manzanita burl about 3" tall and 5" in diameter.

As I was turning the inside pieces of the bowl started flying off the blank and hitting me in the face shield. When I stopped the lathe I found I had voids that I needed to do something with so I mixed up some resin with some black dye and filled the holes the best I could. When it cured I finished turning it.

I do not know if I had a problem because of my skill level or if the wood was defective. It is an interesting material....

Dick Parr
05-08-2005, 8:00 PM
Very nice Mike. I would say it was the material and not your skills, your skills are very good. Very interesting piece of wood and I love the shape. :)

Kent Parker
05-08-2005, 8:03 PM
Mike,

Beautiful, classic shape. I love the grain. Reminds me of a woven basket.

I bet its narly to work with. Glad you didn't get wacked :)

KP

John Miliunas
05-08-2005, 8:22 PM
Mike, that's gotta' be one of the neatest burls I've ever seen! Looks as though someone spent a guzzillion hours carving on it! Nice form, nice finish, nice work! I LIKE IT!!!:) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
05-08-2005, 8:26 PM
Man that looks good. I've never seen that wood before. The epoxy fix fits right in.

Ernie

Mark Singer
05-08-2005, 9:24 PM
Amazing wood and nice work!!!

Glenn Hodges
05-09-2005, 4:56 AM
Beautiful wood and the lines are dead on for this bowl. The patch you used look so natural in this wood, good choice.

John Hart
05-09-2005, 7:07 AM
...Reminds me of a woven basket.... :)

KP

My thoughts exactly. I immediately thought of a basket! Very nice! and your patches fit right in.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-09-2005, 8:44 AM
That is simply amazing! You have turned a high class peice there my friend. Good job on the patches. If you wouldn't have mentioned them, I would have never picked them out!

Gary Max
05-10-2005, 6:11 AM
Mike that is just super cool.
Has to be the only one I have ever seen.
Thanks for shareing.

Jack Wood
05-10-2005, 7:58 AM
"As I was turning the inside pieces of the bowl started flying off the blank and hitting me in the face shield."

This is a good example of why you need to wear a face shield when you turn! Safety glasses might keep your eyes safe, but a high speed chunk of wood hitting you in the face could really turn your day into a long trip to the ER:eek: