PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Honeys

James Combs
03-16-2013, 7:40 PM
Turned a couple of Honey Locust bowls(amongst other things) over the last few days. Finished in 2 coats of semi-gloss poly, no buffing or other treatments. Both had a flaw each so I didn't think it worth any extra finishing effort. As a result finish marks are evident, they look like tool marks but it is the finish. The first one is got a pretty plain shape but the second one has some decent curves(in my opinion:D) Both bowls are about 6" in diameter.

The flaw(to me) in this one is the almost black heart wood.
257224 257219 257220
257223 257221 257222

C&C appreciated

James Combs
03-16-2013, 7:42 PM
The flaw in this one is the crack as seen in the first pic.
257230 257226 257227
257228 257229 257225

Again C&C appreciated.

Jerry Marcantel
03-16-2013, 7:55 PM
My critique on these 2 bowls is, "Don't critique your own stuff". These bowls are well executed and the finish brought out the beauty of the wood...... Jerry (in Tucson)

BILL DONAHUE
03-16-2013, 9:14 PM
NIce job on the honeys, Combs. (bet you've heard that before)

Jim Burr
03-16-2013, 9:17 PM
Ok JD...you can't control the color of the wood and in this case the transition in color is really sweet! Is honey locust easily found cuz it looks great!

Mike Tilley
03-16-2013, 9:18 PM
Nice like the colors and the finish

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Sweet looking bowls JD. Wood looks great.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-16-2013, 11:37 PM
James I would say, first off these are good looking bowls, than, I bet there's Iron in that wood, it will stain from that easily, look at the pieces Cathy Marshall made, the Honey Locust is in the same family, an Acacia and closely related as well, she has shown ho fast this wood will Ebonize.

One time I had a big Honey Locust log, it had a colony of Ants in it and the whole bottom 3 feet was blackened from the acid they exude.

I turned pieces form that and found it a special enhancement rather than a defect, (The smell was something else though) same with your piece IMO.

The split is too bad, but it's still a usable bowl, bet as a gift it would be appreciated and well liked

Brad Cambell
03-17-2013, 12:44 AM
simply beautiful

jwjerry w kowalski
03-17-2013, 8:53 AM
I love the wood, really attractive.

bob svoboda
03-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Very nice. Especially like the first one-shape and grain orientation are superb. That wood is crazy good looking!

James Combs
03-17-2013, 1:44 PM
My critique on these 2 bowls is, "Don't critique your own stuff". These bowls are well executed and the finish brought out the beauty of the wood...... Jerry (in Tucson)
Thanks Jerry, probably good advice and I agree it is some great looking wood. However, sometimes a person is disappointed in otherwise stellar results.

NIce job on the honeys, Combs. (bet you've heard that before)
Thanks Bill but no, actually that is a first for me.

Ok JD...you can't control the color of the wood and in this case the transition in color is really sweet! Is honey locust easily found cuz it looks great!
Thanks Jim, yes the combo of coloring of the wood is hard to beat. Honey locust is plentiful around Kentucky and Ohio, can't speak for other places but it is a major chore, as in "taking your life in your hands":rolleyes: to harvest. As a kid we always called it "red thorn" for the thousands of 4" to 8" multi-spiked thorns on the trunk and limbs.:eek:

Nice like the colors and the finish
Thanks Mike.

Sweet looking bowls JD. Wood looks great.
Thanks Bernie

James I would say, first off these are good looking bowls, than, I bet there's Iron in that wood, it will stain from that easily, look at the pieces Cathy Marshall made, the Honey Locust is in the same family, an Acacia and closely related as well, she has shown ho fast this wood will Ebonize.
One time I had a big Honey Locust log, it had a colony of Ants in it and the whole bottom 3 feet was blackened from the acid they exude.
I turned pieces form that and found it a special enhancement rather than a defect, (The smell was something else though) same with your piece IMO.
The split is too bad, but it's still a usable bowl, bet as a gift it would be appreciated and well liked
Thanks Leo, then next time I need an ebonized piece I will have to give it a try. It turns very nice and would make great black finials. As for the split, yes it is a usable bowl the split has been stabilized with CA so I am not worried about further cracking.

simply beautiful
Thanks Brad

I love the wood, really attractive.
Thanks Jerry.

Very nice. Especially like the first one-shape and grain orientation are superb. That wood is crazy good looking!
Thanks Bob, I actually prefer the second one but I make a lot of the first shape. Right, can't beat the wood unless maybe it was Cherry burl.