PDA

View Full Version : nova outrigger clearance?

alex grams
03-16-2013, 5:09 PM
Can someone with the outboard turning arm let me know what clearance you need from the bed of the lathe forward (towards the turner)? I want to mount the lathe on a flat bench, but don't have the outrigger yet, and want to make sure i don't mount it too far backwards that the outrigger will require moving/remounting the lathe.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f221/189572d1322620737-nova-dvr-3000-lathe-lathe1.jpg

You can see how it mounts to the left of the headstock, then comes forward and dips down. I was hoping to get the dimension of how far forward it comes before it goes down. Ideally, from the near bolt hole to the drop would be the best dimension if someone could provide that.

Thanks in advance.

alex grams
03-16-2013, 5:12 PM
actually, it is hard for me to tell, but i don't know if they changed the design,

Here is a picture from novatech/woodcraft on their model, it may just be the different viewing angles that make them look different.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/600/125761.jpg?rand=493906523

Does anyone know if they changed the design in it anytime? Are those two the same?

Steve Vaughan
03-16-2013, 5:19 PM
Alex, on mine, from the center of the forward bolt hole to the center of where it drops is 2 5/8". From the center of the forward bolt to the outer front edge of the drop is 4 1/4". Hope that helps!

Allan Ferguson
03-16-2013, 5:27 PM
I have mine set with the mounting holes back 1 3/4' on center. The head stock end flush with the end of the bench, or as in the picture. Allan

alex grams
03-16-2013, 5:34 PM
Steve, I think you are saying what I am asking, but just to clarify, the value I am looking for is X in the picture:

I would like to know X so I could sit the lathe back a little, as shown here:

Bob Hamilton
03-16-2013, 7:53 PM
Mounting the lathe as shown in the picture in the first post will make clearing out the shavings from between the bed ways a real chore. That is the way I originally had my lathe mounted and I very soon added 1" spacer blocks under the mounting bolts to raise the bed and provide more clearance for cleaning out under there. Even that wasn't enough to enable getting a vacuum hose in there so I eventually wound up raising the lathe another inch. The shavings between the bed ways cause the banjo to jam because the clamp block can't slide. Make sure to add some spacers to increase the clearance.

Take care
Bob

Ray Bell
03-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Alex, I think the measurement you are talking about is 2 1/2". My lathe sits back on the bench 1" and the outrigger clears fine. Bob is right about the shavings, you either want to raise the late on blocks, or cut the bench out between the ways to clear the shavings.

alex grams
03-17-2013, 1:10 AM
thanks for the info ray, as well as the input. The bench at the moment puts the lathe right at elbow height plus maybe 1", I am concerned that if i raise it 1 more inch that i will be above a comfortable height, something I need to consider. Thanks for confirming the info.

Unfortunately the bench height is not something I can adjust at this time. I had a big torsion box for another project which I cut down and covered with white formica. I drilled from the underside into 4 of the voids in the torsion box and put about 100lbs of sand in, so the top is a fixed height, and weighs about 250-300lbs and is on a cabinet which I cannot shorten. Fortunately I am a fairly tall guy (6'4", so while my lathe height may be high for the average person, it works for me. I may have to put some blocks under and turn something small before I mount it so I can see how it feels.

Bob Hamilton
03-17-2013, 10:11 AM
I had the same concern about raising my lathe since it was at elbow height without any spacer blocks, but I did not find it to be an issue to have it higher. Actually, my new lathe is at elbow height and I am finding that my back is quite sore after extended turning sessions. I am considering raising the new lathe an inch or two to see if that helps.

Take care
Bob

Thom Sturgill
03-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Sometimes I wonder about where some of the 'rules' come from. I think the 'elbow height' rule comes from spindle turning and for bowls/HFs about 2" higher works well. Maybe because spindle turners lean over their work more. I used to have a 4" platform I stood on to put my elbow at the 'right' height, but when I got into a new shop I tried two 1" mats and do not have the back issues I had before - unless I do spindle work where I find myself reaching.

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Alex I have the same lathe. I would definitely put blocks underneath to clear the chips as Bob said. If you don't it is a pain. My elbow height is 45". My lathe sits at 47 1/2" with the spacer blocks which are 2" or so. I used 10/4 wood and jointed it down to about 2 1/4" so it was dead flat. I find I like it better at the additional height. Like Bob sure saves on the backaches. I do like it higher.

Sid Matheny
03-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I did the same as Bob with my DVR. It was a real pain getting the shavings out from under the bed. Bob told me how he "fixed" his and it made a world of difference for me. Being higher seemed more normal to me while turning also.

Sid

Ralph Lindberg
03-17-2013, 11:52 AM
When I had the DVR-XP at "elbow" height my back often hurt, higher resulted in less pain and an easier cleanup (I also have it on a base)

alex grams
03-17-2013, 2:15 PM
thanks for all of the input guys, I think I will put it on 1.5" risers, making it about 3" higher than my elbow. I can always raise it once i get the holes drilled, just need longer bolts and bigger spacers.

Steve Vaughan
03-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Alex, that distance where your little red arrow is in your pic is right on 1". Hope that'll help you out!

Gregory Heard
11-03-2013, 8:36 AM
I know this is an old post but I am about to add an outrigger to my 3000 DVR so it is relevent to me. I am also building a new stand. Currently my lathe is mounted just like the one shown in the picture above. The DVR 3000 has the old bed design so even when mouinted flat ther is 3/4" - 1" clearence under the bed, you can actually see it in the picture above. As such, I have not have a problem clearing shavings from under the lathe. The newer DVR sit flat so I could see why spacers are needed. Are any of you DVR 3000 owners experiencees issues with cleaning under the bed?

Bob Hamilton
11-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi, Gregory:
My comments about clearing under the bed were actually in reference to the Nova DVR 3000. Yes, there is 3/4" to 1" of space there but that is not nearly enough to stick a vacuum hose under there. Even adding 1" spacers under the attachment points did not provide enough clearance for a vac hose. When I increased the spacers to 2" I was finally able to reach in there with a vac hose.

Take care
Bob

Gregory Heard
11-03-2013, 1:00 PM
I understand now. I use a crevice tool attached to my Festool vacuum and it fits under there pretty good. I still will consider adding some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood as spacer - if the bolts I have are long enough, the deck on my new stand is 2" thick.

Thanks,

Greg

Bob Hamilton
11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Well, yeah, a crevice tool would fit but if the shavings are any size at all it will be constantly plugging up. It is not unusual for a snarled up ball of shavings to choke the intake of my 2" vac hose. :D

Take care
Bob