PDA

View Full Version : Cherry w/oak stick inlay

Curt Fuller
03-16-2013, 2:25 PM
I made this from a couple of the old roughouts I was given a while back. It's a small fruit cherry bowl roughout with one of the 1" thick round discs that were in the box for the top half. The inlay ring is small oak sticks glued in on end with coffee and CA in between them for filler. I cut the grooves to break things up where the two pieces of wood join. In one spot the grain lined up pretty good but in others it doesn't. They actually join in the middle lower groove. It's 6 x 2.75 inches.
Whachathink?

bob svoboda
03-16-2013, 3:01 PM
I think I like it. Nice form and the detail really makes it. Well done.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2013, 3:18 PM
Curt.....very nice! The cherry by itself would have been a little bland but the amount of detail you added with the right amount of contrast really gives it a feeling of class. Nicely done Sir!

What's your finish?

jwjerry w kowalski
03-16-2013, 6:10 PM
Curt, that looks really nice, sure adds a lot of interest to the turning, I like your idea of gluing in the small oak sticks and then filling in, I have to try that, I hope mine comes out as nice as yours. What a neat idea.

Michelle Rich
03-17-2013, 6:40 AM
the decorative stuff takes this up a notch..pleasing

James Combs
03-17-2013, 9:20 AM
Very nice Curt, Cherry is one of my all time favorite woods. Just curious though, are there some small divots in the coffee CA area? If there are did you consider epoxy as a binder?

Doug W Swanson
03-17-2013, 9:37 AM
I really like it. Great form and I love the different details!

Doug Herzberg
03-17-2013, 9:58 AM
I like it Curt. Are you buying your CA wholesale?

Curt Fuller
03-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone!

Just curious though, are there some small divots in the coffee CA area? If there are did you consider epoxy as a binder?

James, when this idea was still rattling around in my head I was thinking I wanted a textured look to the ring. I used a coarse ground coffee so the coffee grains would show. But the ring is a little too small, the twig pieces a little too big, and so the gaps were too small for the coffee to pack down in as well as I would have liked resulting in the divots. I didn't use epoxy because I didn't want the plastic look it gives. I'm still trying to decide if I should grind a little coffee into dust and rub it into the divots with a little more CA, then refinish. But the lighting for the photo makes them much more visible than just looking at it sitting on the table so I'll probably leave this one as is.

Ken, this is finished with Antique Oil.

Doug, no I just get my CA from Vince's Wooden Wonders. :D There's really just a few drops if you can keep your hand steady when putting it on.