PDA

View Full Version : new lathe is home!

Dennis Nagle
03-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Here are pix of the new lathe. This was a real bear to get out of the U-Haul. We destroyed a come-a-long and a floor jack in the process. It was well worth it though.

This morning I took some steel wool and WD40 to the bed ways and now that 200lbs tail stock glides back and forth like it was nothing.

It came with a drive center, 4 face plates, 4 tool rests(some straight and some curved), and a carbide tip tool holder.

The real surprise is that it has the Lima 4 speed transmission, so that and the pulleys make this a 16 speed lathe.

All the tapers are #4 and look simply huge compared to my #1 tapers on the Rigid tube lathe. The spindle is 1 7/8 with 4 TPI.

The swing is 30" inboard and 84" outboard, the CTC is 73"

It was built in 1955 and weighs 4000lbs.

Here is a link to the data manual that line of lathes. Mine is the "D" model.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/609/2602.pdf

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/djnagle/001-3_zps91124244.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/djnagle/003-3_zps4e1e87e9.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/djnagle/002-3_zpsa0df105b.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/djnagle/004-2_zpsd10db186.jpg

Jim Burr
03-16-2013, 11:28 AM
You could turn a mast for a schooner on this!! Congratz!!

Michael Stafford
03-16-2013, 11:41 AM
My back hurts thinking about it but there is no excuse for you not turning telephone poles now if you want. And you can turn as large a bowl as I ever would want to turn. That is real iron. Only problem I see is that you may have difficulty finding a pen mandrel to fit it. :D

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Very impressive!! Sure hope you don't have to move it often to use your garage!! Have fun with it!

Jeff Gilfor
03-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Holy crap! Use it in good health!!!

Alan Trout
03-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Dennis,

If I had the room I would not mind in the least having a lathe like that. It sure will be fun for turning the big stuff.

Alan

Mark Detrick
03-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Wow, now that's a lathe. You could turn some awesome pens with that!!!

Al Wasser
03-16-2013, 2:20 PM
I don't see any chips od the floor. What are you waiting on??

Matt Mackinnon
03-16-2013, 4:44 PM
Holly geeze.. just be glad that you don;t have the shop in the basement. I am to take it, this lathe is to cut out the middle man. Just chop down the whole tree and turn, without the need to cut it into smaller sections like the rest of us. Very impressive piece of big iron.

Chip Sutherland
03-16-2013, 5:00 PM
D - for dang that thing must weigh tons or D for double hernia. Wow.

charlie knighton
03-16-2013, 5:56 PM
enjoy......

J.D.Redwine
03-16-2013, 6:01 PM
" The spindle is 1 7/8 with 4 TPI. "

Are there chucks available?

Dennis Nagle
03-16-2013, 6:17 PM
Thanks all. I am still tired from all the work yesterday. I just got back from buying a rotary phase converter for it. I'm off to do some wiring.

Ryan Mooney
03-16-2013, 6:53 PM
I can only say You Suck in the most heartfelt and sincere way.

Dennis Nagle
03-16-2013, 7:10 PM
I don't see any chips od the floor. What are you waiting on??

I was waiting on a rotary phase converter. Well, I just hooked up a 3HP rotary phase converter and in the low speeds it will start the lathe but not in the high speeds. I just talked to the guy who builds these and he'll have a 5HP ready for me Wednesday. It sure runs smooth and quite.

Bob Bergstrom
03-16-2013, 7:18 PM
Do the lights dim in th house, the whole block, or just the entire neighborhood? Enjoy and post it in action.

Baxter Smith
03-16-2013, 8:37 PM
I have looked at that picture in amazement a half dozen times. Will probably look a half dozen more. My first thought was "what a perfect spot". You can back the logging truck right up to the door.

Mike Cruz
03-16-2013, 9:06 PM
Baxter, you nailed it. I thought the exact same thing! What a great way to get the wood right up to the lathe! Unless, of course, your driveway is really steep right outside that door... :eek:

Ok, it is big. For that, I think we pretty much all bow. How is its accuracy? And what is the hp? I take it that it is 3 ph. Are you going to/have you already gotten a VFD for it? That will be a great way to convert your power, but also give you speed control. AND in your case, more importantly, torque control. I mean, 3 hp motors (the ones on all the "big" lathes we mortals turn on) have a LOT of torque. I'm guessing that is somewhere in the 7.5-10 hp. Having it on the fastest speed, but using a potentiometer through a VFD to bring your speeds way down will also help keep your torque to a minimum. HA! Your "minimum" will likely still be at the top of our maximums, but at least it will help.

Congrats. Thanks for posting pics. Looking forward to seeing some chips (and the parts you save...;)).

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Ditto what Baxter said. Wow that is one big hunk of lathe.

Neil Bosdet
03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Wow!!! That is awesome!

Dennis Nagle
03-16-2013, 11:03 PM
No, the lights don't dim which surprised me. And yes, when I open the garage door, I can just drag something over from the wood pile. Also, in nice weather, I can look out while turning.

Jeff Fagen
03-16-2013, 11:32 PM
You have me eying up a way to turn outboard. :)

James Boster
03-17-2013, 7:13 AM
Check those threads I bet they are 1 7/8"x 6. Most Olivers have 6 threads per inch and not 4.

Dennis Nagle
03-17-2013, 7:31 AM
I will check them. I was going by the documentation, but I though 4 tpi was too few and not standard.

Rex Guinn
03-17-2013, 8:56 AM
You will sure be able to turn some nice sphere's, will not even have to make a jig!

James Boster
03-17-2013, 10:33 AM
I will check them. I was going by the documentation, but I though 4 tpi was too few and not standard.

My Oliver #66 is 6 threads per inch and I had some adapters made to run some modern chucks. Sold a few of the extra ones to other folks that had Oliver 20's. Great machine and I am sure you will be happy with it.

Dennis Nagle
03-17-2013, 1:00 PM
I would love to see a #66 some day. Those look awesome Were your adapters female on the spindle side then male on the chuck side? That is the only way I can figure out how to do it.

Dennis Nagle
03-17-2013, 1:09 PM
Hi Mike. It is a very accurate late. When I bring the tailstock live center up to the headstock drive center, they are perfectly aligned. You could not get any closer. It is a 3hp with 4 pulley sizes and a 4 speed transmission. I talked to a number of people about the VFD and all of them said not to use in on an old motor. The dielectric coating on the windings is not thick enough for the spikky VRD. So I have to change gears manually.....good exercise right?

I have to take back the rotary phase converter and get a 5hp one as the 3hp won't start the lathe in the higher gears.

Mike Cruz
03-17-2013, 1:31 PM
Okay, then. At 3 hp, it isn't overbearingly huge. And good info (I guess) on not using the a VFD with an old 3 ph motor. If it is a bad idea, don't do it! Again, my suggestion for using the VFD was that I was assuming that you had a huge motor on there. You'll likely be fine without it, and just using the belts and transmission. My guess is that you might settle into one belt speed and keep it there 95% of the time...

You know, you could always change out the motor with a new(er) 3 hp motor and VFD. My local motor shop sells used Baldor 2 and 3 hp three phase motors for $100 each. A TECO FM50 VFD for 3 hp is about $200. So, for $300 you could have a new(er) motor and VFD. Not sure what the cost of your 5hp rotary phase converter is going to cost, but it is something to think about... If you go the VFD route, you will likely want a potentiometer, fwd/rev switch (the VFD will allow you to do that... not sure if you have that now or not), and maybe an emergency stop button. All those with a box to put them in might run about another $100. Just food for thought...

James Boster
03-17-2013, 2:22 PM
Dennis, yes the adapters were female to go on the lathe spindle and then male for new chuck. I have some made to 1 1/4"x8 and 1 1/2" x8. I did get a large (14") four jaw chuck with my lathe but it is a metalworking chuck so not very handy for wood.

As for the VFD my lathe had a 4 speed general electric motor with a HUGE drum switch to change speeds plus the 4 step pulley. Never could get the original motor to change speeds without tripping breakers. I changed my lathe over to a 7 1/2hp newer motor driven by a 10hp VFD. Seems to work ok. I have had mine for 4 years or so but never take time to turn. Need to spend more time on it. See all the great work done by people on this forum inspires me but seems there is always some other flat work job that needs to be done.

Darren Jamieson
03-17-2013, 4:00 PM
Alls I can say is WOW! I wouldn't have room for any other tool but that if it was in my garage. Can't wait to see a really large chunck of un even off ballanced wood on that because it sure looks like it can take the weight. Congrates.

Dennis Nagle
03-17-2013, 4:31 PM
Okay, then. At 3 hp, it isn't overbearingly huge. And good info (I guess) on not using the a VFD with an old 3 ph motor. If it is a bad idea, don't do it! Again, my suggestion for using the VFD was that I was assuming that you had a huge motor on there. You'll likely be fine without it, and just using the belts and transmission. My guess is that you might settle into one belt speed and keep it there 95% of the time...

You know, you could always change out the motor with a new(er) 3 hp motor and VFD. My local motor shop sells used Baldor 2 and 3 hp three phase motors for $100 each. A TECO FM50 VFD for 3 hp is about $200. So, for $300 you could have a new(er) motor and VFD. Not sure what the cost of your 5hp rotary phase converter is going to cost, but it is something to think about... If you go the VFD route, you will likely want a potentiometer, fwd/rev switch (the VFD will allow you to do that... not sure if you have that now or not), and maybe an emergency stop button. All those with a box to put them in might run about another $100. Just food for thought...

I was looking at that just now as I was cleaning up the bed ways. The transmission and motor casting are all in one so it might be difficult to do that. Although if I ever find a manual or take the thing apart I would know for sure.

I think you are right about finding one pulley size then using the shifter to change speed. I also should be able to have a reverse switch as it is only a matter of reversing two wire going to the motor.

Dennis Nagle
03-17-2013, 4:33 PM
Good to know James. Is your transmission and motor casting all one unit? That is the problem I have. I would really like to put a modern 5hp and VFD on it, but I also think it is cool to clung that shifter into 2nd gear!

James Boster
03-19-2013, 5:59 PM
Mine does not have a transmission. Just the motor to the countershaft and then the 4 steps on it.

Gene Hintze
03-19-2013, 7:21 PM
You Sir, are a crazy man. It's a good thing that I like crazy people. That is a whole bunch of iron.

Dennis Nagle
03-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Thanks Gene. I try!

Mike Cruz
03-21-2013, 7:08 AM
Darren, why WOULD you need any other piece of equipment?!?! :D

Dennis Nagle
03-21-2013, 7:21 AM
I can't imagine I would Mike..... except for a 26ish inch iron bandsaw.

Jeff Gilfor
03-21-2013, 9:23 AM
Dennis, you might actually need one of those mill saws instead to cut blanks to feed your monster.
Oh, and get some BIG tools!
BTW, how many HP is that thing rated? Where do you get replacement belts? rom the Mack Truck parts store?

Dennis Nagle
03-21-2013, 5:27 PM
It is 3hp and has 16 speeds. There are many places on the net that sell belts. But this one is in really good condition and really does not experience that hard of a load.

allen thunem
03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
In case anyone out there is jealous and wants one of these for their own, I found one close to denver not as shiney but god what a monster.
Would be a great pen turners lathe dont you think?:):eek:

Olaf Vogel
03-22-2013, 3:33 PM
Okay, then. At 3 hp, it isn't overbearingly huge. And good info (I guess) on not using the a VFD with an old 3 ph motor.

This is the same setup I have (although Hitachi VFD), but I still retained the gearing. With 30" of swing, the speed differences can be HUGE. I would recommend keeping the 4 speeds to keep the torque. If you do some really large pieces, you might even consider lower gearing.

Mine (not an Oliver) is pieces for transport to the new shop. When I put it back together it will be with 2 step gearing for a wider range.

From all the research I've done, it seems that the rotary phase converter is not much of an advantage, over a VFD, for only one tool. If you have multiple 3 ph machines, then it makes sense. I've also found (at least in my area) that the 3ph machines sell for a serious discount. Enough to pay for RPC - which is how i'll be setting up the new shop.

Great machine you've got!

Denny Rice
03-22-2013, 10:04 PM
No cars allowed in that shop anymore! Tell the wife her new parking spot is on the street. LOL

Nate Davey
03-22-2013, 10:10 PM
That lathe is AWESOME. I thought my Nichols was big. Following this thread with great interest!

Dennis Nagle
03-22-2013, 11:05 PM
I've heard from many motor people that the VFD can distroy an old AC motor because the power spikes are high coming out of a VFD and the dialectic coating on the windings can not protect against the spikes like a modern AC motor can.

Yep, I have a shop now, not a garage.

Here is the birth certificate for my lathe. In current dollars, it sold for $25,000.00

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/djnagle/Oliver20-Dbirthcertificate_zps8d0eb6b4.png

John Shuk
03-23-2013, 9:48 AM
I've seen smaller electric motors on ferris wheels! Enjoy that beauty.

Nate Davey
03-23-2013, 10:19 AM
It's a shop now, but sell your first piece and it becomes a studio......hope you have a beret :D

Brian Myers
03-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Drop Dead Gorgeous !!!

Roy Turbett
03-27-2013, 11:51 PM
I like it!

Bill Wyko
03-28-2013, 1:12 AM
That is so cool that you have the original invoice. Now you need to cut loose on a 6 ft finial. Nice score.

Dennis Nagle
03-28-2013, 8:42 AM
The head stock, motor, and transmission or all torn apart waiting new bearings and a good flushing. I got a new live center for the tail stock and am looking around for a chuck and adapter.

Knock on wood.....I'll be turning by the weekend.