PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Jig Recommendation

Andrew Kertesz
03-16-2013, 8:38 AM
I am mulling over purchasing a dovetail jig and am considering either the Leigh D4R Pro. Was looking at the Akeda but I guess that is a lost cause. Hand cut is not in the picture at this time but maybe someday... Any recommendations and why?

William C Rogers
03-16-2013, 8:53 AM
Well I am not sure you can even get the Akeda unless you have found a used one. It is suppose to be a great jib, but the guy stopped making them a couple of years ago. I was looking at the same thing a year ago and ended up buying the D4 used. You can place an order for a waiting list, but I imagine you will be a couple of years down the road. Maybe someone has an update to this.

Rob Holcomb
03-16-2013, 12:28 PM
My vote is for the Keller Dovetail Jig. Works great, not that expensive and you can make dovetail joints as long as you need them

Paul McGaha
03-17-2013, 8:13 AM
I have a Leigh D4. I like it. It's the only dovetail jig I've ever used so it's the only one I know anything about.

I think a lot of the Leigh company. Good products and service.

I've noticed dovetail jigs come up for sale sometimes in the creek classified section. I suppose people changing from cutting their dovetails with a router and a jig to cutting them by hand.

PHM

Bryan Mills
03-17-2013, 8:22 AM
I have a D4R PRO and love it. I've only used a craftsman jig before this and there's no comparison. Leigh products are very well made, they have great service, and the documentation is top notch. They can be had at a decent price used. Also, the vacuum router support is a must in my books.

Dick Mahany
03-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Another happy D4 user here. Great jig, excellent documentation and set up / use video. Parts are readily available, although I've had mine for 10 years and have never needed any parts). I especially like their 8mm dia router bit shanks as they are much stronger than the 1/4" shanks, although either will work fine. The versatility and ability to easily make variable spaced dovetails are excellent although one must invest a little time learning to set it up, but highly worth it. Good company and fast service.

Mike Goetzke
03-17-2013, 10:45 AM
I have the Porter-Cable Omnijig 55160 and really like it. It is very easy to use (even if you've been away from it for a while). It also has optional variable finger templates for std. and mini DT's. I bought the dust shroud for it and it performs well too.

Mike

Kelby Van Patten
03-17-2013, 11:59 AM
I recently bought the D4R Pro as well. It took a while to get it set up, but the setup went smoothly and the instructions/video were very good. Once set up, it's very easy to crank out dovetails perfectly every time. I also got the accessory kit, with the dust collection, and I'm glad I did.

Paul McGaha
03-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Andrew,

There is an 18" Leigh Jig and a (7) piece bit set in the classified sales now:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?200543-Leigh-18-quot-Super-Dovetail-Jig-with-7-piece-bit-set

PHM