PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: UV Light Bulb

Todd Burch
05-08-2005, 7:26 PM
I thought this would be a simple trip to the Borg. Nope.

My son is owrking on a science experiment in which he has to put his special UV beads under a UV lamp to see what color they turn.

Could not seem to locate a "UV LIGHT" at the home center. The lighting guy there suggested a Philips 60W Agro-Lite. I can't find any help on the Philips web site about it's UV potential, or lack thereof.

Also can't seem to find any basic info about common use UV bulbs on the net. Go figure. Lots of UV germicidal type applications, but I don't think the school would expect him to buy a $70 bulb with special lamp holder for a home based experiment.

So, please point me in the right direction for an everyday, readily available UV producing lightbulb.

Thanks! Todd

Joe Mioux
05-08-2005, 7:48 PM
Todd:

there is a website out there that goes by the name of 1000 light bulbs .com (not the url) but something like that. I bought from them before good service etc.

or if you need a growing lot and you have about $300.00 to spare Hummerts.com.... a horticultural supplier.

Joe

Ian Barley
05-08-2005, 7:52 PM
Todd

Got access to a sunbed (tanning salon type thingy?). Don't they use UV generating tubes?

Joe Mioux
05-08-2005, 7:53 PM
try 1000bulbs.com

Todd Burch
05-08-2005, 8:04 PM
Well, I think I may have figured this out - Ian, I think you are right on. I found a web site that sells the UV beads (http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1350). So, if the sun makes them change, an artificial sun, or sun lamp, should work too.

Thanks you all! Todd

Ken Fitzgerald
05-08-2005, 9:33 PM
Todd....in troubleshooting a possible oil contamination of a cryogenic cooling system I needed a UV light. I was able to find one at my local ACE Hardware store. Good luck!

P.S. I first bought one that looks like a normal incandescent bulb. While it's supposed to be a UV lamp it didn't help resolve the issue. Finally I went back and bought the more expensive light where the bulb resembles a 24" IIRC flourescent tube. This worked well and displayed the compressor oil contamination that I was sure would be present. Again....Good Luck!

Jim Becker
05-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you looking for a "black light"? These produce ultra violet light and are available in both incandescent and flourescent types. Your local "head shop" should be able to help you out...:D :D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Yup....same "black lights" used in the night clubs we hung out at during the '60s!.................Oops...

Cecil Arnold
05-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Todd, there are a number of places in the Houston area that sell UV lights, one is Lighting Unlimited. There should be one near you. I think the cost is a little high for a science experiment, something like $15-20, but that's a great deal better than $70. No I don't work for them.

Aaron Koehl
05-09-2005, 8:44 AM
If you can manage it.. if there is a Spencer's at your local shopping mall, they are usually chock-full o' black lights, replacement bulbs, etc. There! Right behind that.. oh dear, what is that?! ;)