PDA

View Full Version : y lever needed for #6 plane

Tai Fu
03-16-2013, 1:34 AM
I have a #6 plane with a broken Y lever, the part the blade depth knob engages to raise or lower the blade. Where can I find this part?

Chris Vandiver
03-16-2013, 2:33 AM
Here; http://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm

Joe Bailey
03-16-2013, 10:38 AM
with all due thanks to Chris for offering a suggestion, Kaune's prices are off the deep end of the absurdity scale.
You can buy any number of planes off eB*y and get many extra parts in the bargain, for a much more reasonable price.

Tai Fu
03-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Sure, but the shipping will be expensive because it will be much heavier. I am in Taiwan...

So nobody sells Y levers by the bulk? It seems to easy to break them.

Jim Koepke
03-16-2013, 1:03 PM
So nobody sells Y levers by the bulk? It seems to easy to break them.

I broke one long ago before learning about the properties of cast iron not being bendable.

International shipping charges are near prohibitive. The yoke (Y-lever) doesn't vary in size between the planes #4 and larger, iirc. If you can find a broken plane to use for a parts donor you will likely be much better off than trying to have a part shipped.

jtk

Joe Bailey
03-16-2013, 1:10 PM
Sure, but the shipping will be expensive because it will be much heavier. I am in Taiwan...

Fair enough -- the "whole plane" idea is out.
check your PMs.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-16-2013, 2:44 PM
Seems like with a little handy work, one ought to be able to cobble together something akin to the bent-metal Y lever's used by some millers falls planes.

Tai Fu
03-16-2013, 2:55 PM
How can a single Y lever be so expensive to ship? Toss it in a regular envelope and slap about 3 stamps on it. It's not that heavy and you can ship like 100 of them on a single priority mail flat rate box. I don't need it 2 minutes from now so I don't mind waiting a bit.

Sam Takeuchi
03-16-2013, 3:06 PM
You can try asking Walt at Brass City Records (just google that and you can't miss) if he has any. If he has a spare, he should be pretty reasonable.

Jim Koepke
03-17-2013, 2:56 AM
How can a single Y lever be so expensive to ship? Toss it in a regular envelope and slap about 3 stamps on it. It's not that heavy and you can ship like 100 of them on a single priority mail flat rate box. I don't need it 2 minutes from now so I don't mind waiting a bit.

Maybe the USPS site lead me down the wrong path. The envelope would be thicker than 1/4" so there is a higher charge.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

jtk

Tai Fu
03-28-2013, 1:34 PM
An update:

I contacted the dealer I bought the #6 plane from (which was located in Germany...) and I told them if they sold some Y lever because mine broke. Well they at first said to put in the part number in the next order. I explained to them that I am not sure if I can order from them (since they are in Germany and shipping tends to be expensive, and not only that but the item tends to be expensive as well since they are already twice exported). They then said they will send me one free of charge. And I just received the package from them containing two Y levers.

Now that's service.

Jim Koepke
03-28-2013, 2:36 PM
They then said they will send me one free of charge. And I just received the package from them containing two Y levers.

Now that's service.

Good to hear this all worked out for you.

Good service deserves a thank you if you haven't already done so.

Maybe even a plug via identification of the vendor. There are a few members here who may do business with European sellers of tools.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
03-28-2013, 3:20 PM
Tai Fu, as Jim Koepke implied, DO NOT attempt to tighten the fit by squeezing the "Y". It is cast iron and WILL break.

Tai Fu
03-28-2013, 9:40 PM
I bought the plane from dick tools (now known as Dictum)