PDA

View Full Version : Car Sound System problem

Tony Sade
03-16-2013, 12:07 AM
On the short trip home from work today, my wife said the single CD sound system in her 2006 Honda Accord made a loud noise of fairly short duration that sounded like static and then the system went silent. Neither the CD player or the radio produced any sound. No other symptom she remembers. I went out later, turned the key, and presto--all was well. (One of my two favorite repair techniques. The other--beat on the thing until it gives up and starts working again.) It was fun going back into the house and proclaiming I'd fixed it. The "oh--my hero" proclamations ended with a thud when I fessed up.

I can fix darn near anything in the house, but I know bupkis about cars, especially their electrical systems. (I'm assuming that an electrical issue is the likely culprit, but, as I said, I know zip.) The reincarnation put to rest (I think) a fuse issue. Any idea what it could be, or how to approach this by process of elimination or any other method if the problem recurs? If for no other reason, I'd like to be able to pretend I have a clue when I wind up at a repair shop.

Thanks,

Joe Angrisani
03-16-2013, 2:12 AM
If it's working again there isn't anything to fix. :D

Tony Sade
03-16-2013, 9:28 PM
Well now it's back--several times today, in fact. Sound dies, turn off for a bit, sound comes back. Sure sounds like a loose wire, but what do I know? Anyone have an idea(s)?

Thanks

Larry Whitlow
03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Tony, you might still want to check the fuse -- it could be bad. I had a similar problem with intermittant operation and it turned out to be a fuse. In my case it wasn't a radio, but basically the same situation. Other than that, I can't really help. Good luck.

Myk Rian
03-17-2013, 2:03 PM
Components and circuit boards get warm. Bad connections open up.
If it keeps up, buy her a new radio with mp3 input. She'll love you more.

Dan Hintz
03-18-2013, 7:19 AM
The '00 S2000 had a similar problem with its CD player... the "fix" was to have the entire unit replaced.

Erik Loza
03-18-2013, 9:00 AM
The '00 S2000 had a similar problem with its CD player... the "fix" was to have the entire unit replaced.

This ^^^. It is literally cheaper to buy an aftermarket HU than to try to fix the existing one. I got an awesome double-din JVC unit for my wife's 4Runner for about $250 at Crutchfield. Bluetooth, everything. The single-din Alpine HU for my Acura was like $125 and far better sound quality than the OEM Bose unit. No reason to try to fix an OEM head unit when there are so many (better) aftermarket options.

Just my 2-cents.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Curt Harms
03-18-2013, 10:32 AM
What Eric said. We just replaced SWMBO's Ford setup with an Alpine open box buy for a little over $100. Has USB for MP3, bluetooth with microphone input etc. etc. Sounds a LOT better with the same speakers and same antenna. Car audio place sold an adapter to make the wiring harness work, took a couple hours and a little soldering. The bluetooth is pretty slick. It can remember 2 phones and mutes whatever is playing when a call comes in. Phone audio is quite good.