PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer sanding sealer - Does it have its place?

Glen Blanchard
03-15-2013, 10:43 PM
I am going through a (brush on) lacquer phase, and I am wondering where lacquer sanding sealer fits in. I have assumed that the first coat of lacquer does about the same thing, so what's the advantage? Any reason to use it in place of the first coat of lacquer?

Dennis Ford
03-15-2013, 10:50 PM
I always use a coat (or more) of sanding sealer before using lacquer. The sanding sealer is much easier to sand as it dries very fast and does not gum up sandpaper.

Glen Blanchard
03-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Dennis - The can of Deft lacquer sealer I have states that it dries in approx one hour while the can of Deft brush on lacquer states it takes approx 30 minutes to dry. The lacquer sealer seems to take longer to dry than does the lacquer itself. Hmmmm.

John Coloccia
03-15-2013, 11:27 PM
You won't find consensus. Half the people you ask will say that it aids in adhesion. The other half will say that it causes adhesion problems. Do whatever floats your boat. If you DO decide to use sanding sealer, I find it helps to get a coat of lacquer very soon after the last coat of sealer is ready for recoat. The real problem, IMHO, is that lacquer can be finicky re: finish schedule and coat thickness and you will run into problems regardless if you have a sloppy process.

Thom Sturgill
03-16-2013, 7:36 AM
I routinely use sealer thinned 3 or 4 to 1 with lacquer thinner if I am going to spray lacquer (rattle can). I apply as much as it will absorb, then wet sand before spraying (3 -6 coats). The whole process sealer to finished piece is little over an hour including wet sanding to 8 to 12,000 grit. I use mineral spirits to sand with cleaning and changing contents in my container at least every other grit to prevent picking up particles that would scratch the finish.

On the other hand, I find that I am using less lacquer as the fumes are bothering me. Several have recommended water based lacquer, but that loses the main advantage of lacquer - the fact that each layer burns into the previous layer not requiring 'roughing' to adhere. The above mentioned sanding was removing imperfections.

Jerry Marcantel
03-16-2013, 9:58 AM
Any liquid applied to wood will raise the grain to some extent. Wood turnings might be an exception as most turners from what I've read here indicate that they sand most of their pieces to at least 400 grit. Anyway, sanding sealer is always used as the first coat as it doen't gum up the sandpaper. One coat is recommended by most manufactures of laquere products. Dry sand the seal coat, after 30 minutes, and then apply 2 more coats of laquere at 30 minute intervals to get a standard finish on cabinets. Sand in between coats with 320 grit if you choose, recommended by manufacturer.
Again, turnings are the exception as turners go to great lenghts to get a deeper finish by sanding with all different methods with as many as 12 coats of finish, so the above is just an illustration of the standard procedure of laquere use...... What puzzles me is that they even make a brushable laquere. It dries so quickly here in the Southwest that at the end of each brush stroke, you would have brush lines on the piece. There would be no time for the laquere to level off. I've been using laquere on all my finishes since 1978, and spraying is the only way to apply it in an arid region.
I've noticed that when all the solvents in the laquere has evaporated from whatever I sprayed 3 coats on, say 3 days ago, the finish doesn't feel as good as it did after day one.... Jerry (in Tucson)

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Sanding sealer is simply lacquer with a softening agent (soap) added. The idea is to seal the wood and "lock" the fibers with something that is easy to sand back in preparation for the application of top coats. Since sealer is soft and easy to sand, some attempt to build a finish with several coats. This is a mistake because there will be a soft membrane between the wood and the harder lacquer top coats, resulting in a finish that looks good and was easier to achieve but that is much more easily damaged. The "best" way to use sanding sealer is to apply one good coat and then sand it back until it is uniformly "powdered up".

robert baccus
03-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Sanding sealer/laquer is a very easy, forgiving, simple, fine finish. It is difficult only if you complicate it.

Jamie Donaldson
03-16-2013, 11:27 PM
I use regular ol' Deft lacquer thinned with about 10% acetone for my sanding sealer. I wipe it on with a paper shop towel, then immediately wipe off the excess just as is done with a wiping oil finish. Sometimes a second coat wiped on becomes the final finish, well sealing the wood without building a significant surface coat.